Rubber hose cutting

L19MUD

An incredibly dull thing to discuss I know but what do people use to cut rubber pipe. I am talking fuel hose up to intake/fuel filler size hoses?

I normally just use a sharp stanley knife but it is difficult to get the larger hoses cut square and looking neat. I know you can buy the handheld type which are probably fine for things like fuel hose but no good for anything bigger.

A google search came across this which looks ideal, but $360!

I use a pipe cutter - strangely enough!

I can't find the exact one I have, but it's similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dickie-681701-Plastic-Cutter-Multi-Colour/dp/B0779BJ5Y7/ref=sr_1_49?crid=3NF73RLAS1858&keywords=pipe+cutter&qid=1660923333&sprefix=pipe+cutter%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-49

Mine only cuts up to 2" OD - but makes a beautiful job of it!  The above claims 63mm, which I guess is 2" ID.

It also makes a very nice job of cutting 70 sq mm cable - much nicer than the tool supposedly designed for it.

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Industries-T100-Original-KwikCut/dp/B000PSC1DQ

That is identical, but it was my grandad's, so not sure where he purchased it from. It does the job, helps if you twist/rotate the pipe as you apply pressure to cut the pipe.

The link that Si put up seems a good purchase, I might add that to my list of tools too!

I use a pipe cutter too. Its a no expense spared Rolson tool but it works really well. MUCH better than using a knife. Any knife.

On bigger diameters I push a piece of sacrificial plastic waste or plumbing pipe inside to prevent deformation. This works especially well if you want to clip a bit off near the end. This is not a problem if cutting "mid run"

I have seen a big version of these cutters used by the water companies, but it would be a bit excessive for vehicle use

• Like 2

I have conduit cutters/ratchet cutters and while they are good on plastic tube they aren't that good on silicon 
If i'm trying to do a nice square job then I'll mark my cut with a strip of emery or paper and a sharpy then slip it over a bit of tube or pipe and cut it with a knife 

The cutters turned up yesterday and I had a play with some scrap hose.

Smaller diameters cut really easily. Bigger diameters need some plastic pipe in to stop them squashing.

The cuts are not perfect but so much better than a knife and lots quicker too.