Fitting an ABS servo to non ABS system

Yup I too saw a thread about it a long time ago. IIRC the Disco master cylinder sat at an angle due to the Discos bulkhead being at an angle which is not ideal.

Hence my asking about the Defender ABS items. Having had a brief look at one the servo appears to be spaced off the pedal box but the master cylinder is at the correct inclination. Does it use a unique pedal box ?

So will the ABS parts work on a non ABS system and more pertinently does it make any difference to braking effectiveness or feel.

Mo

I fitted a 200tdi master cylinder and servo along with the rest of the braking system on 45. The master cylinder sits at the wrong angle but isn't enough to cause problems. I had to re drill the pedal box and make openings in the side to get the nuts on. The whole system worked very well and the brakes were very good. I did it because I had all the disco bits and no money to buy/replace the existing brakes.

IMAG1428.jpg.1f79e597618f15b1e791920654987b0c.jpg

Not sure any of this helps you mo.

Mike

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

I fitted a 200tdi master cylinder and servo along with the rest of the braking system on 45. The master cylinder sits at the wrong angle but isn't enough to cause problems. I had to re drill the pedal box and make openings in the side to get the nuts on. The whole system worked very well and the brakes were very good. I did it because I had all the disco bits and no money to buy/replace the existing brakes.

IMAG1428.jpg.1f79e597618f15b1e791920654987b0c.jpg

Not sure any of this helps you mo.

Mike

Thanks Mike. It helps but I'd like to use off the shelf Defender bits and I'd like to know that it would work with those bits and that it would be more effective, hence the desire for feedback from someone who's used those parts.

Mo

Mo, when you say 'better braking' - do you mean more stopping force, or more pushes of the pedal before the vacuum / assistance is gone?

If the latter, a vacuum reservoir makes a big difference.  I added one to my V8 90 as it never seemed to produce enough vacuum.  The reservoir itself was just a Viair pressure reservoir plus a non return valve - so it would retain the vacuum.

This at least would be easy to try before changing a big chunk of the braking system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, simonr said:

Mo, when you say 'better braking' - do you mean more stopping force, or more pushes of the pedal before the vacuum / assistance is gone?

If the latter, a vacuum reservoir makes a big difference.  I added one to my V8 90 as it never seemed to produce enough vacuum.  The reservoir itself was just a Viair pressure reservoir plus a non return valve - so it would retain the vacuum.

This at least would be easy to try before changing a big chunk of the braking system.

We have a vacuum reservoir on our 110 it was a factor fit back in 83 not sure if it was an optional extra though.

Mike

• Like 1

Mo, I thought I’d seen this question asked on Defender2 - I can’t really remember, but it might even have been me who asked. I think ‘JST’ on there had done this, but there was just enough ambiguity in the wording that made me slightly unsure which part number we’d been referring to that I didn’t go ahead in the end.

Like you, I’d wondered about something as simple as a bigger Defender servo just being ‘plug and play’, and I’d still be interested in a mod like this.

• Thanks 1

@simonr hey Simon, I was thinking that more assistance at the pedal would help with firmer braking where I have to push harder on the pedal.

@Northwards I know James did a conversion with a Discovery double diaphragm servo and Discovery master (as I now know Mike has also done) but I would rather use Defender parts.

It would be nice if someone who has fitted the Defender double servo (and perhaps the pedal box as well if it was necessary) to a single diaphragm system could relay their experiences.

Mo

18 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

@simonr hey Simon, I was thinking that more assistance at the pedal would help with firmer braking where I have to push harder on the pedal.

On one of my vehicles, I fitted a remote servo (from an Austin Princess IIRC) to the clutch.  I had recently broken one of the bones in my foot (I kicked my 110, remembering too late I was wearing soft wellies rather than my more usual toe cap boots 🤣🥵)

The difference was really impressive.  The clutch went from heavy & painful to being light as a feather!

One could potentially fit a remote servo in line with the brake servo to double the braking assistance.  It has the advantage of being remote - so it's easy to package somewhere convenient.  There was one of the after market companies selling a remote servo for LR - I made a mental note of it as an easier way to source one in future.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:47 AM, simonr said:

On one of my vehicles, I fitted a remote servo (from an Austin Princess IIRC) to the clutch.  I had recently broken one of the bones in my foot (I kicked my 110, remembering too late I was wearing soft wellies rather than my more usual toe cap boots 🤣🥵)

The difference was really impressive.  The clutch went from heavy & painful to being light as a feather!

One could potentially fit a remote servo in line with the brake servo to double the braking assistance.  It has the advantage of being remote - so it's easy to package somewhere convenient.  There was one of the after market companies selling a remote servo for LR - I made a mental note of it as an easier way to source one in future.

Lots of BMC cars have them. A westminster would be best as they have a huge reservoir

Moseph, if you just want to try it, I have a spare Double chamber Disco servo, that you can have

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Lots of BMC cars have them. A westminster would be best as they have a huge reservoir

Moseph, if you just want to try it, I have a spare Double chamber Disco servo, that you can have

The disco one requires some irreversible mods to the defender pedal box.

Mike