What is a 130 worth?

Or rather, what is a 130 going to cost me? I know that this a bit of an open ended question but to make it easier the following is essential; Original Tdi powered, original crew cab, straight (ish) bodywork, good mechanicals. I am half looking for one - the other half of me is looking for a 110SW and another, more sensible half, says no, have a nice sensible diesel car instead.

Chris

I was half looking myself a bit back and it seemed something resonable (similar to what you have described) would cost around £5-6k. Ex-utility quad tech's seemed cheaper and more plentiful, alouth I did quite fancy a hi-cap pickup.

I was half looking myself a bit back and it seemed something resonable (similar to what you have described) would cost around £5-6k. Ex-utility quad tech's seemed cheaper and more plentiful, alouth I did quite fancy a hi-cap pickup.

Go on Mark...you know you want to join the elite club!

I paid 1500 quid for my 1992 130 crewcab back in 2003. After spending a Kings ransom on it I now have a great fun truck that can carry just about any load I care to throw in it.

Granted the UAE market is not the same as the UK but I love it to bits and you don't notice the extra length that much compared to a 110.

There just so much space to bolt things onto and most 90/110 accessories will go straight on without fuss. The external roll cage was a one-off ..... as are the extra length jackable sills.

but if you have the time to fix it you may as well get a 130/110

110SW woudl be a b*gg*r to park compared to small economical ultra green car.

IMHO the 'total cost of ownership' is worth considering, if you can service it yourself, get recycled spare parts, and dont mind the qirky nature (leaks etc) I think that the average Defender would in the long run (if you include purchase price, less sell price) be better on the pocket than many traditional cars.

My Renault Espace is a dream to drive (used to commute 150 miles per day until Dec) but the damn thing depreciates by 800 per month, and costs £300.00 per 18k miles. Dont get me wrong, Im not yet able to give it up (mostly cos I just spent £800 for extended warranty) but less miles will mean that my next car might well be a defender (in addition to the other two)

If you like them, get one, life is not a rehearsal !

IMHO that is of course

Dad bought this 300 from foleys last year and gave a shade over 5 for what you see in the pics.

1035.jpg

its got scrap iron sus and it handles nice tows my 90 very well just needs some big wheels and tyres as the 7:50's look lost...

It was total cost of ownership that had me change from a 110 to a pug 106 for my daily drive. The fuel/road tax/servicing savings in one year make up for the total purchase price of the car so any depreciation isn't really an issue. It's quicker/quieter/more comfortable/less draughty/warmer/more reliable/etc. However I still miss driving a LR on a daily basis, even if it didn't make financial sense.

• 4 weeks later...

I did not ignore you Mark, merely I am an infrequent visitor to the Defender forum. :) 127/130 ownership will have to remain a dream. :( Good sense says that I should buy a van instead for now. Thanks for thinking of me though. :)

Chris

I did not ignore you Mark, merely I am an infrequent visitor to the Defender forum. :)

Typical RR owner :rolleyes:

127/130 ownership will have to remain a dream. :( Good sense says that I should buy a van instead for now.

Same here.

Thanks for thinking of me though. :)

Always :wub: