It’s not OT it’s me LR diff workshop question

Hybrid_From_Hell

11 hours ago, SPendrey said:

What am I missing here?  I've three fluorescent tubes in my garage, all 55W tubes.  Replacing these with LEDs which are also rated to 55W saves me nothing, actually costs me the price of the LEDs themselves.  So, where is the saving coming from?  Does dropping from 55 to maybe 35W really save that much??i

I installed the LAP led lights because they were on offer from Screwfix at the time & my shed had two crappy fluorescent tubes emitted no useful light. 

the shed also needed a re wire, so it made sense to put in completely fresh lights, plugs etc etc. 

one year in, no issues. 

19 hours ago, SPendrey said:

What am I missing here?  I've three fluorescent tubes in my garage, all 55W tubes.  Replacing these with LEDs which are also rated to 55W saves me nothing, actually costs me the price of the LEDs themselves.  So, where is the saving coming from?  Does dropping from 55 to maybe 35W really save that much??

I have often seen LED lighting marked up with wattages that are indicative of their comparative brightness to fluorescent tubes or halogen lights rather than how much power they really consume, so check their lumen rating.  If their lumens are way higher than the older counterpart for the same watts, then the watts are probably right.  If the lumens are similar, then they have shown “equivalent wattage”.

• Like 2

Lumens are way more useful when buying LED lights anyway - as far as I'm aware there's no legislation governing how "equivalent wattage" is calculated, it's up to the manufacturers. So there can be quite significant differences in the light levels from two bulbs or fittings that claim the same equivalence. Whereas lumens is an actual measure of those light levels.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I completely agree.  The equivalent wattage labelling causes confusion.

I think it’s useful…. But as long as it makes it clear what it’s showing. It was the easiest way of explaining to my old dear when I swapped the kitchen downlighters to LED watt was watt (see what I did there :P)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I think it’s useful…. But as long as it makes it clear what it’s showing. It was the easiest way of explaining to my old dear when I swapped the kitchen downlighters to LED watt was watt (see what I did there :P)

It's the way you tell 'em 😁

A 55W fluorescent tube loses around another 30W in the ballast if it's magnetic one. Where as a "55W" (if it really did draw 55W) LED tube would have no additional losses. The LED tube will also have increased Lumen output compared to the fluorescent.

My wife installed some LED ceiling lighting in our villa’s  “maid’s room” (we don’t have a maid, but most colleagues do and the villas are built to accommodate them with some privacy and practicality).  They are the square panel type replacing a couple of tiles of the false ceiling.  They are very bright but also diffuse, much better light than the 55w halogen spotlights installed before.  They might not be ideal for joist ceilings like sheds and garages, though.

I’ll be fitting LED lighting in my garage in the future, along with radiant heat panels to the ceiling.  They are flat electrical panels that heat objects but not the air, so are very efficient and because they are so slender, are easy to install and don’t compromise clearance.  They are meant for wall mounting, but that isn’t practical in a garage with lots of storage, work benches and so on, but the ceiling lends itself to them.  I think they reviewed them on that FullyCharged YouTube channel, or a similar channel on there.