Help with an onboard Road / Off Road Sat Nav !

Hybrid_From_Hell

Help !

this ix104 running XP has usb ports

bouggt a cheap (£18) GPS unit from Amazon 

popped it in “found new hardware” then “ hasn’t loaded properly”

can’t find drivers on www anywhere it’s a cheap G-Mouse unit

anyone have any info as to a decent one that will work on XP ??

Nige

G-mouse dongle will most likely be an U-Blox chip for the receiver.

So I'd have a look at their site:

www.u-blox.com

To validate if it's working/receiving signal you can use U centre:

https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center

I believe that also where you can get drivers from, but not sure about XP drivers.

When checking if it's working, make sure it has an clear view of the sky. Once I was trying to get one to work for 2 hours, only to have it work immediately when I put it near a window.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 9:34 PM, WeaselTrap said:

And If anybody has any other suggestions for the (navigation) software I'd love to hear it as well.

The easiest solution is to just use the Maps app on W10/W11. It works ok. It'll even do offline maps I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For offroad I am using Oziexplorer on a Toughbook CF19 running XP SP3 with an external usb gps (holux or cheap one from Amazon will do). The CF19 is fast enough to run Oziexplorer twice so you can swap between several maps, this is handy in Roumania where I have different maps from the same area but older Russian maps sometimes show tracks that are not anymore on newer maps.

Very nice alternative for the Toughbook is the Microsoft Surface Pro as it has a bigger screen with very good resolution so you see more of the map.

If you need maps just shout as I have  whole Europa mostly in scale 1:25.000

For on the road I use a separate Tomtom or Waze via Iphone on my radio

Remark: Oziexplorer just shows you your position, all the rest is up to you. Example Roumenia we make a planning of our trip at home using Google Maps, save this as a route and then we try to follow this as good as possible but never succeeded  to follow it 100% but with Ozi you see workarounds 

Edited by henk
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Would still very much like, especially Norway and Sweden :)

7Gb and 35Gb. Do you have space where I can upload it? or just send me an usb stick

Or 16/2 I am in Heffen and I bring a disk and you copy what you need

Edited by henk

29 minutes ago, henk said:

7Gb and 35Gb. Do you have space where I can upload it? or just send me an usb stick

Or 16/2 I am in Heffen and I bring a disk and you copy what you need

Yeah, I'll send you the details in PM. Plenty of space available.

OziExplorer for Android has one killer feature that is rarely mentioned, and I've not seen on any other software. It's possible to design your own 'screens' completely from scratch to replace the standard ones - so you can place readouts and controls that you find useful, and remove ones that you don't. You can also choose where they are placed, and how big they are.

I have a 'normal screen, that shows only the map, OS Grid Reference and current speed, with hidden (transparent) buttons for zoom in/out and to change view. Then I have other screens for particular uses, such as following programmed routes when greenlaning.

No useless buttons covering the map, and no diving into arcane menus to access things that apparently no-one else thinks of as useful.

@elbekko Yes please on a link to the maps when available :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henk said:

Another 200Gb to go. Africa also?

Don't think I'm heading over there any time soon :D

How big is it? The data hoarder in me says yes, the part of me that knows my NAS is still broken says no...

Thanks so far, hope it's been stable for you. I've downloaded up to spain, had to play a bit with simultaneous connections as I was running into some throttling issues.

I have a home made Bluetooth GPS.  Just an ESP32 with a U-BLOX Neo6 GPS.  The Bluetooth is mapped as a serial device & the NMEA data just sent over the bluetooth serial.

However, you can just buy them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M9CZYTD?psc=1&th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=techtips-21

As far as the PC is concerned, it's just a serial GPS connected.

It works remarkably well!

On a pc with Franson Gpsgate you can multiplicate your incoming gps signal over multiple virtual com ports.

This allows you to run multiple programs at the same time using just one gps receiver.

If you want to run Oziexplorer twice you best copy the complete folder c:\oziexplorer to c:\oziexplorer2 and make 2 shortcuts to the different oziexp.exe on your desktop

There is no need to duplicate the maps but I put them somewhere outside the default c:\oziexplorer folder

If you want to check several gpxfiles at the same time to see their track on the map you can use gpstrackeditor (download from gpstrackeditor.com)

For making roadbooks I use the payable version of Rallynavigator.com, it’s online software based on google maps and calculates for you the distances between waypoints. Optionnally you can also show the coordinates of each waypoint so you can always navigate to a next point in case there is a problem

13 minutes ago, henk said:

333,7 Gb to go

You get everything so I have a remote copy just in case my nas crashes :) 

My hosting just started complaining about fair use policy <_< Guess we found the limit to the unlimited :D
Can't really fight it as they're quite right it's not really data for a website...

Oh well. I'll download it all and dump it in Azure blob storage or something instead. Cheaper than the cloud storage my hosting is proposing.