Tight 300Tdi

Sabre

I overhauled my D1 300 Tdi engine during covid, then needed a few odds and ends that I could not get. The engine then stood for about 2 years. I have now found that the engine is very difficult to turn over when I try to turn it on the crank pulley bolt. I have already filled the engine with oil, and want to turn over the engine to get oil through the bearings, and onto cylinder walls.

Can I give a squirt or two of oil through the injector or glow plug holes ? (These are not fitted yet, which makes the difficult turning even more of a mystery).

And, how does the oil pump prime ? Would it simply suck up the oil from the sump ?

Would appreciate your advice

19 hours ago, B reg 90 said:

Corrosion on the cylinder walls? Try using a mini snake camera to have a look through the injector opening.

Sourcing one would be rather difficult, but I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the idea

10 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Yes you can put oil in through the injector holes but turn it over slowly after as you can hydraulic it if you add to much. Try using ATF as it's nice and thin but also has rust eating properties.

Mike

I will try that, sounds like a good idea. Appreciated

11 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Yes you can put oil in through the injector holes but turn it over slowly after as you can hydraulic it if you add to much. Try using ATF as it's nice and thin but also has rust eating properties.

Mike

I have just done this on an old Fordson engine. It was a little bit stiff to turn over and had very little compression (this is a story in itself ending with no eyelashes and eyebrows) but it worked. Left for a week, it started almost immediately, and now had lots of compression.

However, I do not like disturbing the injectors or seals, so always apply the ATF with a syringe and piece of pipe via the inlet and/or exhaust ports after removing the manifolds.

Did you try turning it over during the rebuild ? Was it stiff then ? Rebuilt or new engines are harder to turn than well used ones.  

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

I have just done this on an old Fordson engine. It was a little bit stiff to turn over and had very little compression (this is a story in itself ending with no eyelashes and eyebrows) but it worked. Left for a week, it started almost immediately, and now had lots of compression.

However, I do not like disturbing the injectors or seals, so always apply the ATF with a syringe and piece of pipe via the inlet and/or exhaust ports after removing the manifolds.

Did you try turning it over during the rebuild ? Was it stiff then ? Rebuilt or new engines are harder to turn than well used ones.  

Whilst rebuilding, I continuously turned the engine. After fitting main bearings and after fitting pistons and con rods. All components were well oiled before installation. I will definitely try the ATF advice. Thanks

On 12/21/2022 at 11:52 PM, smallfry said:

Another thing that has come to mind from past experience .........

Has it got a flywheel on it ? If so check there is nothing like a piece of rag or a dead mouse stuck behind the flywheel between it, and the housing.

Already bolted to gearbox...... I'm pretty sure it went clean into the bell housing

2 hours ago, Alsace_rangie said:

Don't want to be funny, but:

Is that where the new resistance to turning is coming from?

Not funny at all, I need all the ideas that I can get.

I am not sure where the resistance is coming from. G/box and Tx are in neutral, (both newly reconditioned) so that eliminates resistance from that area. I'm going to try the ATF; that is the easiest starting point. If there is no improvement, I will need to look further 

On 12/26/2022 at 5:34 PM, Happyoldgit said:

If the transmission has been overhauled there will be more resistance there than if it were an older, well run in unit (even more so if the gear and transfer box have oil in them).

Both reconned, and filled with oil