White smoke when Revving and small amount of oil in inlet of turbo also misses a bit when revved up

I bought my first defender the other day drove home 37 miles perfectly 

started it up today and started immediately and ticks over perfectly but when revved up it seems to miss and a lot of white smoke out of exhaust 

I spoke to a friend and he said take inlet pipe off of Tubo and see if oil in there 

there is a small amount but not loads 

please advise on what to check next or what problem is 

cheers 

Josh 

Hello fella, like Mike Tom cat says it does sound to me aswell like an head gasket problem, but before you start pulling it all to bits, the lad who does the MOTs on my wagon had some sort of test that you put a cap on the expansion tank and some liquid in a vile attached to the cap, if the liquid turns purple or green, I can't remember what colour it was now it means that you have exhaust fumes in the system and you pretty sure it is the gasket or head, hopefully not the head for your sake.

I can't remember the name of the test kit but someone on here is bound to know and my fella only wanted a fiver for the test he did. Just a process of elimination fella. Good luck

• Thanks 1

White smoke is usually coolant, but can be unburnt fuel.  Given that you get the smoke and misfire together, in this instance I’d suspect it’s fuel (as an aside, the white “smoke” that aerobatic teams like the Red Arrows trail is sprayed diesel, the colours being added dyes).  I suspect you have a dirty injector.

As recommended, change the fuel filter.  I’d also add a strong dose of a decent fuel injector cleaner into half a tank of diesel, run to near empty before refilling.  I like Forte or Wynns, but other brands may have a good reputation too.

If it is coolant, you should see a gradual trend of loss from the expansion tank.  Keep an eye on it for a while (good to check weekly anyway).  The marker dyes and UV lamps are good for finding external leaks, but for detecting internal leaks, you really need the “sniff test” chemical testers that react with a sample taken from the expansion tank, looking for traces of exhaust gasses in the coolant.

Mine gave a good puff on start up then cleared, it would run fine but as you came off the throttle it would start to smoke again. When it was head gasket (blown between no3 pot and the middle triangular water way) it would excessively pressurise the header tank. On the occasion it was a cracked head it blew into no2 exhaust port and was much more difficult to find.

IMG_20220929_200014.thumb.jpg.75a29b184b63909ad58a7d254bb329f2.jpg

You can just see it vertically above the valve stem (picture is on its side).

Mike