D200, D250 or D300?

Hi everyone,

About to celebrate the 16th birthday of our good old Defender 110, we are seriously considering getting a new one (if the banker is nice). I've tested it, on and off road, the car is good, no doubt. The fuel consumption seems decent and at last there seems to be a delivery date available (8-10 months).

We plan for a 7 seats (grand parents can't drive anymore) and some simple options (tow ball, heated front seats, lane assist). Now, the real question is which power?

- D200 seems a little too weak for perform well;

- D300 is quite more expensive, drives faster but I don't buy such car to race.

=> How about the D250? Is it a good compromise, or is it the right car?

Please share your experience and thoughts. What are the main pros and cons of the 3 models?

My D200 is fantastic - lots of power and torque and more than adequate for my needs. I think it will depend what you are used to, I was coming from a 200Tdi so it was quite the step up.

The other benefit in my view is that it’s the same engine for all three power levels, so the D200/250 are effectively detuned. In my view that means the engine is operating with a huge safety margin for wear/loading.

Finally - a D200 can be turned into a D250 with nothing more than a software change.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2023 at 4:30 PM, Retroanaconda said:

My D200 is fantastic - lots of power and torque and more than adequate for my needs. I think it will depend what you are used to, I was coming from a 200Tdi so it was quite the step up.

The other benefit in my view is that it’s the same engine for all three power levels, so the D200/250 are effectively detuned. In my view that means the engine is operating with a huge safety margin for wear/loading.

Finally - a D200 can be turned into a D250 with nothing more than a software change.

I wonder if they've got any internal differences? The basic engine in my Mini is the same in the lower powered S, but the JCW has fancier pistons and rods. 

• 6 months later...

Big news: We got our D250 (110, 7 seats, white roof!) about 2 weeks ago and after more than 4,000km across Europe, I can tell it is a great truck!

After driving the "Old" Defender for more than 15 years (and before that an old Range Rover and even a Series 3), I am confident to say the feeling of driving this new car is quite similar with the previous one. Except it's smooth, comfortable, quiet, and powerful. And it consumes less (about 9-10 l/100km) than the old one!

In terms of design, I admit the front part of the car isn't so wonderful, but the overall silhouette and the back are "Defender" in spirit and shape.

The driving has proved very good, and the little green-laning and off-roading I tried was even absurdly easy. But, hey, the whole point is to pass everywhere, no said we had to suffer!

I'm still discovering what does what and I might have questions for those of you who know more about the car.

So far, one little thing I find not good is the windscreen wipers with the spray attached to them. It doesn't clean well the windscreen and I really don't know what benefit it brings us. The third-row seats are also for people with short legs... We knew that and don't plan on using them daily.

So, overall, great car, I'm a very happy driver.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, russianfrog said:

Big news: We got our D250 (110, 7 seats, white roof!) about 2 weeks ago and after more than 4,000km across Europe, I can tell it is a great truck!

After driving the "Old" Defender for more than 15 years (and before that an old Range Rover and even a Series 3), I am confident to say the feeling of driving this new car is quite similar with the previous one. Except it's smooth, comfortable, quiet, and powerful. And it consumes less (about 9-10 l/100km) than the old one!

In terms of design, I admit the front part of the car isn't so wonderful, but the overall silhouette and the back are "Defender" in spirit and shape.

The driving has proved very good, and the little green-laning and off-roading I tried was even absurdly easy. But, hey, the whole point is to pass everywhere, no said we had to suffer!

I'm still discovering what does what and I might have questions for those of you who know more about the car.

So far, one little thing I find not good is the windscreen wipers with the spray attached to them. It doesn't clean well the windscreen and I really don't know what benefit it brings us. The third-row seats are also for people with short legs... We knew that and don't plan on using them daily.

So, overall, great car, I'm a very happy driver.

This post is worthless without pictures!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, russianfrog said:

So far, one little thing I find not good is the windscreen wipers with the spray attached to them. It doesn't clean well the windscreen and I really don't know what benefit it brings us

Oh, that's surprising. It actually works really well on my GLE. I like that it doesn't blind you with water while wiping.

But you may not want to see the cost of a new set of wiper blades...

Congrats on the Defender, when I see one pass by I still sometimes think "I should've just gotten one of those".

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Oh, that's surprising. It actually works really well on my GLE. I like that it doesn't blind you with water while wiping.

But you may not want to see the cost of a new set of wiper blades...

Congrats on the Defender, when I see one pass by I still sometimes think "I should've just gotten one of those".

Always worked well when I’ve used that kind. My daily has conventional ones which usually means the first wipe gets rid of most of the screenwash

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

That's a nice spec. 

Yes, well dare I suggest that it is one of the destinations for all the brand new ones over here that get nicked.... 

Well, I didn't see many with the wheel on the right! There are a lot of old ones too. People like them I reckon...

Now, seriously, a lot of them get stolen in the UK? I think I'll keep my good old club across the wheel then.