electrical question

Nonimouse

As most of you know, I have a D1 200tdi. It's fitted with a Boomslang Loom, to improve the lights. This has been modified by me to also run the spot lights.  I have LED side lights but halogen bulbs in the Headlights and spotlights.

On side lights, with the engine running, I'm getting a positive charge 'leakage' to the OS headlight and it is partially illuminating. Not enogh to worry about and it passed the MOT, but it's annoying me. I spent a big chunk of time last sunday, trying to find out what the hell ios causing it. No it's not an earth fault!  Everything is working as it should. The side light LED's are fitted with ballast resistors. I'm stumped. Ant ideas?

Try removing the led side lights then putting them back gradually. Which side is the number plate lamps or dash telltale?  If you can rule out the led lights then i'd be looking for an incorrect ground reference. If you have a multimeter you can switch the sidelights on with engine running and follow the voltage backward removing relays/fuses as you go.

Pete

• Like 1

I also run halogen headlamps and led sidelamps, no spots without a ballast resistor. I do run ballast resistor's on my indicator's. I'd disconnect each lamp (or remove the bulb) in turn, if one fixes it look there. The other thing to check is the stalk I've had several fail in various ways (currently the left indicator won't stay on).

Mike

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

As most of you know, I have a D1 200tdi. It's fitted with a Boomslang Loom, to improve the lights. This has been modified by me to also run the spot lights.  I have LED side lights but halogen bulbs in the Headlights and spotlights.

On side lights, with the engine running, I'm getting a positive charge 'leakage' to the OS headlight and it is partially illuminating. Not enogh to worry about and it passed the MOT, but it's annoying me. I spent a big chunk of time last sunday, trying to find out what the hell ios causing it. No it's not an earth fault!  Everything is working as it should. The side light LED's are fitted with ballast resistors. I'm stumped. Ant ideas?

You need to trace where you're getting voltage from, if your +ve switch is ok then you're highly likely getting a weird "back" voltage feeding the light via an earth. with the engine on with the fault showing, I'd start pulling fuses and relays individually - this might give you an indication as to what circuit you've got a fault in - i.e. the fault might have nothing to do with your light or light wiring, its just showing up there. I'd also be looking around the same area that light is earthed for any other circuits that are earthed in the same area of the car.

• Like 1

It has to be a wiring fault on that corner.  It could be a small short from sidelight feed to headlight feed, or a bad earth. I suspect the latter - a short would probably either bring up a fair brightness in the headlights, or if it was a very poor contact short, cause so much localised heating that the insulation would smoke or melt.  LEDs use so little voltage that they would easily allow enough residual voltage to back power a bigger lamp on the same earth sub loom.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2023 at 7:15 PM, Nonimouse said:

It looks like one of the side light units has a bad earth, and is finding an alternative path via the headlight. As it is low current, the headlight will only be partially illuminated.

Edited by Bull Bar Cowboy
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 11:43 PM, Bull Bar Cowboy said:

It looks like one of the side light units has a bad earth, and is finding an alternative path via the headlight. As it is low current, the headlight will only be partially illuminated.

Thank you Ian, nice to see you back. How's it going?

13 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Thank you Ian, nice to see you back. How's it going?

Not too bad Dave, been retired now 12 years and enjoying every minute, spending a lot of time fishing the Lyme Bay wrecks from my 6m RIB.

I have come back into the land rover fold again, and late last year got a very low mileage (8k) MY19 Discovery Sport 240 HSE Black, Dynamic, Lux, with the GKN 'Active Driveline'. Research says to me that the ingenium in the 240hp configuration will probably be as reliable as the comparable Jag configuration. I think the key to success will be regular 10K oil changes (to avoid dilution), and I keep an eye on the DPF regens by using OBD2 MX+ to my iphone. The DS in the 150 & 180 configurations don't seem to allow the DPF to get hot enough, which causes protracted regen times and severe oil dilution, leading to timing chain failure and balance shaft bearing issues.

I have still got the Cherokee KJ (I use it for towing the boat and my 2T Ifor). It is 20 years old now with 190k, and for the 1st time in its history the engine management light came on last week ! ............. The codes suggested a boost pressure fault, so I changed the boost pressure sensor (it has never been out in 20 years). This fixed the issue, but I noticed a tiny amount of oil pass through on the IHI turbo (Yes, I am being fussy here) , so I have had that rebuilt at Midland Turbo. I wish all cars were reliable like the Jeep, that VM engine has been a charm, a bit agri sounding but very reliable.

You keeping well ?

Edited by Bull Bar Cowboy
  • Like 2