stainless steel hard brake lines

it's been a long time since i've rebuilt a 110 and last time i used cunifer lines with goodridge flexi hoses
since them i've helped my old man build a tvr roller skate race car and he made stainless braided lines all the way through and whilst a bit costly in fittings it does allow calipers to be undone at a later date without the risk of having to also swap the lines as the coroded unions just twist the brake pipe
before i go down the full braided hose and stainless banjo route can premade stainless hard lines be bought  to fit a 110
cheers

I’ve never heard of anyone doing stainless pipes for Land Rovers.  I doubt you’d have any corrosion or seizing issues if you use cunifer again with brass fittings and a bit of grease on the threads.  Stainless would be a bigger to shape by comparison.

Several people have used 1 piece braided on project I keep reading and are happy with that - may do that on a DII project.

Rigid S/S pipe may have issues with the vibration, heat, etc..

Good quality copper lines should last you for less money also a long time..

18 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Several people have used 1 piece braided on project I keep reading and are happy with that - may do that on a DII project.

Vibration would be my only concern for rigid lines. So just make sure it’s well mounted. 

18 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Never seen any stainless hard line kits for any kind of off the shelf job. The cost would probably put most people off. 

It’s quite common in the USA instead of copper. I bought a stainless brake line set for my Camaro the other year. It’s more bendy and malleable than you’d think, but not as easy to bend as copper still. 

cheers for the replies i've seen rolls of it for sale but i think i'll bite thye bullet and go with stainless braided
i know copper last well but it's the fittings that let it down for me although i have found some stainless ones but i do like the ease of using banjo fittings over screw in nipples

54 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

It’s quite common in the USA instead of copper. I bought a stainless brake line set for my Camaro the other year. It’s more bendy and malleable than you’d think, but not as easy to bend as copper still. 

It will have a been annealed like the stuff I use on gas systems at work. Current project is 1/2" and you could happily bend that over your knee if you wanted to..... obviously produces a terrible bend but it's surprisingly soft. 

On 4/10/2023 at 1:53 AM, Arjan said:

Copper is pretty bad for work hardening…

1 hour ago, uninformed said:

Agreed, but how much work does it do when its fixed in position...

I've used copper extensively for 30 years and never had a line fracture due to work hardening, the ones I've recently taken off Sid were 20 years old and still good and flexible

regards Stephen

4 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Agreed, but how much work does it do when its fixed in position...

I've used copper extensively for 30 years and never had a line fracture due to work hardening, the ones I've recently taken off Sid were 20 years old and still good and flexible

regards Stephen

It was in reply saying stainless might not be suitable. Just a comparison to what is accepted as being good…

I did the 109 entirely with stainless-braided TFE flexi from Think Auto, it's their budget copy of the Goodridge stuff and works lovely - minimises joins doing it all in flex and makes pulling callipers and other parts off for maintenance much easier as you can just swing them out of the way as needed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, uninformed said:

It is, but cunifer is much more resilient.  Work hardening will occur most where there is movement (including vibration), so long unsupported lines should be avoided.

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I did the 109 entirely with stainless-braided TFE flexi from Think Auto, it's their budget copy of the Goodridge stuff and works lovely - minimises joins doing it all in flex and makes pulling callipers and other parts off for maintenance much easier as you can just swing them out of the way as needed.

that is my thoughts and a few years ago we had to make braided lines for the rear axle as the copper lines i had got made up prior to a caliper swap wouldn't fit and it was sunday afternoon and i needed the truck the following day
sadly the fittings he had spare were just plated not stainless so now have rusted up badly so for future lines i'll only use stainless fittings,costs a bit more but cheaper in the long run