What to build? I have too many options!

Ok. After several years away from the fun side of Land rovers I am now feeling the itch for a plaything project. My problem is that I have too many options on what to build due to years and years of collecting Landy bits and being incredibly indecicisive!  Some of the bits that I have to work with are as follows,

A complete, bog standard 300TDI 110 hard top. (current road car), Most of an at one-time highly modified 1961 series 2A swb (ish). Loads of series axles including the later type with the same size wheel bearings, Two full sets of parabolics, A set of 5.99 ratio Volvo portals (in need of some love), A set of Disco 2 axles with 4 pin diffs, A pre-Defender LT77, Several LT230s ,A set of the massive Gigglepin trailing arms , A Superwinch 525 PTO winch with PTO, A hydro assist steering kit and various things that i've probably forgotten about!  SO.

Option 1. The easiest would be to sell most of it and throw the extra money at the 110.... Pros- Simple,can be done easily with off the shelf stuff that is designed to fit.  Cons.... A bit boring, would end up with just another bolt on Defender, Would probably have to get another car to drive day to day.

Option 2. Build the Series with the LT77 and a TDI but try to keep it looking like a Series.( There used to be a contributor on here years ago called Robotman if anyone can remember. Something very much like he built). Pros... Series vehicles are the best-looking Land Rovers in my opinion, Leaf springs are awesome.  Can keep the 110 as a tow car.  Cons.... A lot of work!

Option 3. Build the Series as option 2 but with the portals.   Pros.... A series with portals!  Cons.... Even more work It won't look like a standard (ish) series, Availability of spares for the axles, I know that they are unlikely to break but there are still consumables to consider.

What do people think?

Option 1,

Easy, quick. Been done loads.

Option 2,

Fair bit of work, probably what land rover should of done before the 110.

Option 3,

Very cool and we know someone who has done it @FridgeFreezer. Hell of a lot of work.

I think option 3 but I tend to go all in, even when I don't have the time or money.

Mike

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Does it..... Work...? 

😃

It does have a very impressive track record! And I was very happy to hop in for a ride in Mannington earlier this year. I think time before that was in Lagoda, on our way to extract my Defender...

If you have the portals, would be a shame not to use them. 😉

15 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Does it..... Work...? 

Yes it's just that somehow it always ends up mid-project when  7 Sisters rolls around - this year I got half way through re-doing the difflocks (everything disassembled) and then got the lurgi and had to weld up an ambulance :angry:

Thanks for the replies. The main thing that has stopped me from using the portals in the past has been spares availability. I know that I can get bearings and seals ect from bearing suppliers but it's stuff like kingpin bits ect that still wear but are not easily available. Whereas with the Land Rover axles I can get absolutely anything locally.  They would be pretty nice on my series though, particularly since it is a bit stretched ( not sure on the wheelbase because a previous owner did it but I think mid 90s inches).  By the way FridgeFreezer and Stellaghost I love your builds.

Edited by Spudgun
  • Thanks 1

Only thing you can't get for the Volvos is RHD track rod ends.

I've got all the kingpin stuff on the shelf, conversion to standard bearings all round, conversion to standard hub seals, etc.

I've also got a pair of disc-braked stub axles surplus to requirements.

• Like 1

FridgeFreezer. I'm definitely interested  in the kingpin bearing conversion parts and also the hub seal conversion. As for the stub axles I think that i'm going to try and see how it is with the drums. I know disk would be better but in my mind the drums are designed to stop a heavier vehicle and most of the parts other than the drums themselves are Land Rover 1 ton (ish). Maybe a disk conversion one day but I can't afford it at present! As for the RHD track rod end unavailability that should be ok because I plan on doing something similar to what you did with a machined taper adapter and some rose joints.

Edited by Spudgun
poor grammar!

If your struggling with TRE’s then consider using Chevy 1 ton ones, there readily available on-line and you can get the correct taper reamer from Barnes 4WD and many other after market suppliers. Generally if your running larger than 35’s this is the common upgrade.

Barnes 1t link kits

If you want to go extra beefy then step up to these cartridge style.

Rock Jock HD TRE’s

2.5t TRE’s are also available but less common.

6 hours ago, landy_andy said:

If your struggling with TRE’s then consider using Chevy 1 ton ones, there readily available

From America yes, for us over here in the UK there's likely better options. Hell, there must be a TRE out there that fits correctly but all my attempts to find one have been frustrated by parts suppliers and even manufacturers these days being utterly clueless & unhelpful.

Also, I avoided modifying the TRE taper in the axle as once you've done that you've permanently altered the portal casting, something I'm not keen to do.

• 1 month later...