300TDI oil change

I have always used 15w40 mineral oil for my 300TDI which has now done 210,000 miles. You may remember from a previous post I have a problem with the oil pressure in as much that the longer between starting the engine the longer it takes for the oil light to go out and this has been going on for many years so I now start the engine daily and the light goes out quickly.  Would using a different grade such as 10w/40 or different type of oil such as semi-synthetic possibly improve this issue.

I know some use 15w50 in Tdis, but I don’t know how that might affect the turbo.  The rest of the engine would have no problem with it - it was specified for earlier LR 4cylinder engines that the Tdi is based on, and though the oil pump changed considerably on introduction of the 300, it is a stronger and more capable pump that deal with the thicker oil without issue.

• Like 1

I’m sure that dumpers etc have an oil pressure switch that has another terminal so until the pressure is up they will not start , could you run the solenoid supply via one ? 

Once I had an oilchange in Africa. They gave me SAE50 single grade for very hot environment. My 200TDI worked without problem on the way home. Even through the Alps. Only difference, I took more time and a longer distance  to get it warm and everything was fine.

Any oil is better than less oil.

• Like 1

Sounds like the "problem" you've got us just the oil pump and gallery emptying when it's sat. Personally, I start the engine and then put my seat belt on, then drive off. Never had an oil light still on in that time. If yours isn't going out in that time then something up and you need to fix it, not hide it using different oil.

• Like 2

I totally agree that it seems the oil is somehow "draining" when the vehicle is sat. Where could the oil be draining to and what could be the cause, I have already replaced the oil pressure relief valve and spring in the sump which made no difference

might be the oil jets under the pistons , these have a ball valve in them to (i think) prevent oil flowing back .

(that is , if the 300tdi still has these ... )

Edited by hurbie

Or possibly from the turbo. I'd check the shaft for play. But if you just have the oil light, ie no gauge, try changing the switch, its relatively cheap and maybe its a problem there.

I hadn't considered play in the turbo. being a cause of the oil draining, is this really a possibility. How do I check for free play ?

I also have a pressure gauge which shows zero until the oil light goes out and then jumps up to over 50psi. as soon as the light goes out.

Sounds like the prssure switch is ok then. If you take the hose from the air cleaner off the turbo (engine off and cool!), you should be able to grasp the turbo's shaft. A little fore and aft play is ok, but there should be virtually nothing laterally. Anything more suggests a bearing rather worn. I had one still working but wearing away at the housing so it is surprising how much slop they tolerate and keep going.

54 minutes ago, fmmv said:

Sounds like the prssure switch is ok then. If you take the hose from the air cleaner off the turbo (engine off and cool!), you should be able to grasp the turbo's shaft. A little fore and aft play is ok, but there should be virtually nothing laterally. Anything more suggests a bearing rather worn. I had one still working but wearing away at the housing so it is surprising how much slop they tolerate and keep going.

Not quite correct - the bearing and shaft has clearance when cold to give room for the oil and heat expansion in use. 

When they do wear it is possible for the blades to hit the housing leaving a shiny witness mark. 

An unlikely source of your cold start oil pressure as well. 

Maybe at the next oil change pop the sump off and remove the oil pick up and inspect for any issues

Steve