Files

Need recommendations on some new files

Fairly mundane ask but I’m doing more and more file work of late and found that the readably available ones arnt really cutting it(HA!)

been to a few steam shows and looked around the old tool stalls there and although spoilt for choice a lot of them have had their day.

any recommendations on brands to look for?

2 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

There much of a muchness, go to somewere like Zoro, R.D.Barrets, Cromwell tools and buy from them. There stuff is far superior to the stuff you'll get on the highstreet, Amazon etc.

Thanks, I’ve found if I type “engineers file” into google I get better results than the normal screwfix condenders

• 2 weeks later...

Pferd, senator, bahco, sandvik, kennedy, vallorbe

Theres sometimes new old stock paper wrapped files that appear on ebay. Anything old and British made will be good.

And just because I like tools - heres some file making information. 

If youre anywhere near sheffield go to MA tooling in attercliffe for an alladins cave of quality files. (Ignore the chinese stuff they also have)

On 7/31/2023 at 11:57 AM, De Ranged said:

Can't say if this is any good but I've seen a few guys on youtube doing chemical sharpening using ferric chloride etching fluid... it seems to work 

Brick acid works apparently. I will try it one day when I'm cleaning up some of my many silver soldered fabrications.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Key I find to keeping them sharp is remembering they don’t cut on the pull stroke! 

I agree, but if you really want to keep them sharp, don't lump them altogether where they can rub against each other, that's a sure fire way of blunting them

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 7:11 AM, landroversforever said:

Anything with a decent brand. Most of mine are Sandvik. Key I find to keeping them sharp is remembering they don’t cut on the pull stroke! 

I used to agree with your comment, you can't argue with his test......Check this out lol

On a side note, I hang my files.... I've found the biggest killer of file teeth is trying to file the wrong grade of steel, get it wrong and you'll see the line of damaged teeth after. I have a worn out Bstard file that I mainly use for sharpening my soapstone.... if in doubt I run that over the work before I grab a good file, if it skates and ends up with another line on the teeth I grab the grinder lol 

Edited by De Ranged