Gearbox…..

Hello all hope your well,

so just looking for advice

my 1986 Land Rover 110 the gearbox is past it so was thinking what do people think of Ashcroft transmission?

I’ve gone on there web site registered logged in and put my details on gearbox number address ect and the quote come back at  just over a £1000 less £200 I get back just over £800 for a reconditioned gearbox,

have any of you had a gearbox from them? 

I’ve had two negative responses on fb landy page but these owners also looks like they cover hi millage each year so maybe they just knocking the carp out of them work vehicle ect. 

im lucky if I cover 5 thousand mile a year. 😊

photos of my output shaft, it’s not good.

D14AFBEB-982A-44C7-BA1E-FD1479731630.jpeg

62680C38-C16B-465F-B7C4-C3E236F6CA42.jpeg

2E3A8664-DBE8-4CB8-86AF-F6CE68AD6B10.jpeg

My RR’s R380, Borg Warner and both diffs just came back from them.  Cost a pretty penny having all that done.  Unfortunately, the car won’t be reassembled for months yet and even when complete, I won’t have the opportunity to drive it - it’ll go to storage for a while.

I have heard just a handful of complaints over the years, mostly that the crunch changing up to 2nd hadn’t been fully fixed, but only a handful and that is a common characteristic of these units (still shouldn’t happen on a rebuilt unit, though).  Perhaps those complainants tended to shift very fast.  I don’t know.  I think you would struggle to find a company with more experience and knowledge of the units, though, or with any level of stock where they won’t be tempted to reuse marginal parts, ignore slightly incorrect shimming or suffer delays to get those right.

Rough and ready I know....

My current gearbox output shaft was worse than that, I spot welded it up to keep the heat down, ground an edge onto the gear and knocked it on and off taking high spots off the weld until the splines were rebuilt ( this was before I had the facilities to cut splines ), gearbox is still going after several years, it has other issues but no play at output shaft, I only do a coupe of thousand miles a year so that probably helps as well

Regards Stephen

If the only issue is those splines, then what Steven did is an option.  But if there are other problems and you plan to keep the vehicle in the family for some time, then biting the bullet is a good idea - parts for these cars are not getting easier to find on the whole, so it it’d be worth fixing a worn gear box before those parts become rare and either ridiculously expensive, poorly made pattern parts or both.

Ashcroft will also give you the option to uprate the bearings.  They asked me if I wanted that, I told them that I have a 300Tdi in standard tune and would take their recommendation - they said standard would be fine and a bit cheaper.  Seems pretty honest, and having the option is good.

Thank you 

I guess the output sharft is that bad what’s the rest of the box inside like it does a fair bit of clunking,🤔

I’ve been asking questions all over 

Ralph, this forum, Facebook landy pages even back to the old days of LRO forums not herd a bad word, 

like I say only few down side posts but were hi millage posts, maybe 50 thousand miles in 12 month poss towing is enough for any gearbox?
£800 I’m hoping is reasonable price.

I'd both a transfer and gearbox from Ashcroft, fitted 14 years ago, both still working perfectly well. Only issues were to do with little adjustments which Ashcrofts were happy to advise me on, and on the transfer box a helicoil had been used on the filler plug and it cracked and a bit went inside but I was able to remove the bottom plate and wiggle it out with a bit of wire. Apart from that they're smooth and quiet still. Just checked my records and they were fitted at 237,000 miles and I'm now at 307,000miles. Granted I'm a sympathetic driver, but I had two other recon gearboxes fitted in the decade prior to the Ashcrofts ones, no idea who did them, but both were total rubbish and had to come back out.

1 hour ago, Jocklandjohn said:

I'd both a transfer and gearbox from Ashcroft, fitted 14 years ago, both still working perfectly well. Only issues were to do with little adjustments which Ashcrofts were happy to advise me on, and on the transfer box a helicoil had been used on the filler plug and it cracked and a bit went inside but I was able to remove the bottom plate and wiggle it out with a bit of wire. Apart from that they're smooth and quiet still. Just checked my records and they were fitted at 237,000 miles and I'm now at 307,000miles. Granted I'm a sympathetic driver, but I had two other recon gearboxes fitted in the decade prior to the Ashcrofts ones, no idea who did them, but both were total rubbish and had to come back out.

Sounds good,

I didn’t think Ashcroft were all bad.

thanks 😊 

My 109's R380 came brand new from Ashcroft in about 2004 and has been fine, the one in the 127 I'm pretty sure was from them and has also lasted at least 30k so far under our ownership (and I suspect a lot more miles before we bought it), my dealing with them has always been good and they are mostly knowledgeable & helpful.

I do know a couple of others in the club who had bad experiences - one really very bad in terms of quality but even then Ashcroft did make the effort to put it right (albeit it took more than one go if memory serves - and multiple "go's" at gearbox fitting can get a bit tedious & expensive!) but of course people will make a lot more noise about bad experiences than good ones, especially on the internet. "Everything's fine" is not news after all!

I guess no matter the company you find someone who's had a bad experience, the reality being most of us don't buy enough gearboxes in a lifetime to really form a valid opinion. I know a few folks who favour smaller / more local companies for gearbox work but the names slip my mind, you'd hope almost any competent gearbox place should be able to make a decent job of refurbishing a basic 1930's design that's very popular and with all the parts available. I guess Ashcroft have the advantage of volume and the fact they have devised a few upgrades over the years that smaller outfits or "general" outfits may not be aware of.

I also remember years ago one of the LR mags did a whole article on Ashcroft and the quote that stuck with me was "If someone else is doing it cheaper they're probably not doing it properly".

@ashtrans is I believe Mr Ashcroft himself and the fact he's bothered to join up here & post responses to a few people is a fairly brave move too :lol:

• Like 1

Hello all. 

I bought an Ashcroft Series 3 gearbox for my Series 2A some 14 years ago and has done 70k kms since then, withouth the slightest problem. I can’t be happier with it. 

So I got another one (ZF HP 22) for my 90 4.0 project which is about to come into life 😃

Cheers,

Pedro