Steering column bearings

49 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Column shaft will be steel rather than iron. Cast iron is a good bush material that wears well, Brass is probably a bit on the soft side.

Cast iron is good but as stated rusts quickly, brass might be softer but let's get realistic, your not going to wear it out that quickly unless your steering wheel is made out of chain links and your driving the car 24/7. We have brass inserts and bearings at work that are operating in extreme conditions 24/7 and they last well in high temps and dusty conditions obviously with lubrication

Years ago they used wood bearings with grease, not that I'm suggesting using wood...... I would state that in my opinion a steel shaft with a cast iron bearing could weld itself together with rust if there is an ingress of water and the vehicle is left standing for a wee while

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

Remember the clutch pilot bush in the crankshaft. Extremely thin, but stands a long time.

Best solution in my eyes is still a sealed ball bearing with distance bushes to make it fit. I can imagine, that friction is an isue in that place.

Both cast iron and brass are good bearing material. Cast iron is loaded with graphite, machining it you'll notice every where turns grey! If I had to make a bush I would probably make it bronze as it's harder than brass and wont rust. Friction should not be an issue I believe, especially if a grease point is added.

However my first option is a roller bearing, the column will have some thrust acting on it and the column shaft only has a small shoulder, that would probably wear the side of the bush in time.

As I am not a native speaker, a definition of the terms might not be a bad idea.
Cast iron is good because it has a lot of graphite and many pores for oil. Unfortunately, it rusts.
Brass is unsuitable. Bearing bronze is very good.

Good news, the bearing shop will be able to supply me with the bearing. Asked him to order 2 just in case! Not sure it will be a perfect fit as the dimensions are of the column is not really 22x36mm...we'll see

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Bit of bearing fit and you'll be good ;) 

Problem is the bearing is slightly oversize, the shaft is 22.2 and the housing is 35.7

The little lathe will come handy in that case!

The original bearing was marked 22/36, so I'm hoping that the ones I'm getting will be similar.

11 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

a 22.2 shaft into a 22.0 bearing? Good luck 🙄

0.2mm interference is impossible to fit, 0.02mm would be more reasonable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bearing finally arrived, the dimensions are spot on 22x36mm so the column will need some fettling to get the bearing to fit. No big deal as I got a lathe, but I think a good rub with a sandpaper will work just as well.

The bearing came in a plastic bag with some chinese letters, no brand name. On the seal I can read 61904RZ  JLB which could be a part no. However a google search gave me a bearing 20x37x9mm which it is surely not!

20231123_162500.thumb.jpg.9310234274e0081a08b3f783cccb3572.jpg

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, muzaz said:

Bearing finally arrived, the dimensions are spot on 22x36mm so the column will need some fettling to get the bearing to fit. No big deal as I got a lathe, but I think a good rub with a sandpaper will work just as well.

The bearing came in a plastic bag with some chinese letters, no brand name. On the seal I can read 61904RZ  JLB which could be a part no. However a google search gave me a bearing 20x37x9mm which it is surely not!

20231123_162500.thumb.jpg.9310234274e0081a08b3f783cccb3572.jpg

using google translate , the chinese caracters say :  " bearing" so not much use ....

1 hour ago, hurbie said:

using google translate , the chinese caracters say :  " bearing" so not much use ....

Yep, not much help! Says JLB on the seal, google says it's a bearing company...all in chinese tho!

7 minutes ago, muzaz said:

Yep, not much help! Says JLB on the seal, google says it's a bearing company...all in chinese tho!

and only a telefonenumber , not even a e-mail adress ....

and my chinese is not so good , so i don't intend calling them 😉

• Haha 1