Retaining sleeve for door lock barrels

Hi all, I am replacing the lock barrels on my defender 90 and I can’t prize the retaining sleeve from the old lock barrel. I have drilled the clip out (which was stuck) but it has all oxidised together. Any advice?

either that, or does anyone know where I can get a new one from? 

image.jpg

F005D861-AA02-409F-9905-C2E4DFF5EC48.jpeg

@ Lockylockwood iirc I think there is a very small pin hole and you need to stick a pin in it and push down a spring loaded pin and pull back on the cover at the same time!?!

But I have been known to be WRONG!.....The wife tells me often!!!

Oops just seen where you said you have drilled it out!.....Not good as it won't locate on the new barrel I fear!?!

Edited by Mutley

Right have now got fingers FULL of splinters from scratching my head!?!... I remember changing my locks a few years ago and remember sadly they DON'T sell that part as a separate item!?!......You HAVE to buy the whole F***ing outer door handle!?! As it comes as a unit. Sorry

5 hours ago, Lockylockwood said:

When you say warm it what do you mean? Blow torch? I have some WD40 but no plus gas. Would that work?

Yes just a little bit - it's a very small mass. The WD should just shock it cold again. That ought to work...

Most of us have at least one 🥳🤡!  But never mind your vice, forget about the vise and try soaking in vinegar or some other acid.  This should dissolve the rust which has “welded’ to the plastic without damaging the plastic.  Just a thought, but I hope it helps.

Mike

• Like 1

@Paul C yeah Coke used to do a job but since they changed the formula it's not as effective as it once was, used to be the case if you put a tooth in a glass of coke it would dissolve in 24hrs!?!

Another cleaning household trick used to be HP Sauce, smother the metal for a day then clean up like new!?!

Good ol' days when we had proper food stuff! 😂

1 hour ago, Mutley said:

@Paul C yeah Coke used to do a job but since they changed the formula it's not as effective as it once was, used to be the case if you put a tooth in a glass of coke it would dissolve in 24hrs!?!

Another cleaning household trick used to be HP Sauce, smother the metal for a day then clean up like new!?!

Good ol' days when we had proper food stuff! 😂

HP, like ketchup, has vinegar - that is what is doing the cleaning.