300tdi crankshaft pulley - aftermarket vs genuine

I'm going to shortly replace my crankshaft pulley, it is the later lipped type. On the turner engineering website they have what looks to be a better quality one at £77 (https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/lhh100660-crankshaft-gear-c2x20634594), compared to the aftermarket ones which are about £25. Has anyone had any issues with the aftermarket types like this - https://www.paddockspares.com/lhh100660-crankshaft-pulley-300tdi.html

no issues with either, a dayco belt is a recommendation though, The general state of play can be assessed by the amount of dust and fluff in the timing cover along with the mileage between belt changes. There are two types of idler pulley in the kit, one with a step or spacer and one without.

Edit: it's also worth fitting a new securing bolt, every few goes especially if somone has been keen with the loctite.

Pete

Edited by pete3000

I use the britpart timing kits at work - the included pulley isn't boxed up but I assume it's one of thiers (belt is dayco, pulleys are blue box), the included crank pulley looks very nice quality to be honest, I wouldn't have a problem fitting one to my own car.  I might think twice about the tensioner pulleys, though to be fair I can't find anything to fault them on so far..

If you can find one the Bearmach pulleys used to be really good, in one piece rather than the spot welded on flanges. And they seem to last well.

It's always struck me as odd that the kits often include the pulley ( which shouldn't wear out quickly) but not the O ring behind or the oil seal which probably do benefit from renewal.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:24 PM, ianmayco68 said:

Another one for genuine , bit to critical to trust a blue box jobby .

Be careful here, the genuine ones had a manufacturing fault, I'm sure I posted up pictures on one of my build threads of this.

The genuine pulleys the side plates where spot welded on, these spot welds fail and carnage ensues, definitely go with the billet machined type.

See below Page 2

• Like 1