Sewer cap diff pan

Just wondered if anyone has replaced the diff pan with a steel pipe cap recently on a Rover long nose axle? Eg  link I am cleaning up a front axle case to replace the case on my daughter's 2013 90 (one of the ones that can break but isn't covered by the LR recall). It occurred to me that while I had it in bits would be a good time to do this.  Just looking for any tips or experience.

I've made one before out of pipe, flat plate with the curve hammer formed, also shaped some steel to form the raised section for the ring gear, made mine out of 6mm plate, basically fit and forget...lol

Regards Stephen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, thanks, actually I knew about the Gwynn offerings, and doubtless they fit nicely, are super strong and do the job.  But I thought, maybe foolishly, where's the fun in that,  if I have to weld it on anyway (which you do with any replacement) why not use one of these; if it works I have 4 more axles that could do with that treatment, and it's a bit cheaper.

It has been done, and even photographed on here, but they do tend to look just a tad odd, the stock LR pan is quite snug and when you put a big thing like that on it sticks out rather a lot... 

I hadn't considered it might be aesthetically challenged. It can't stick out much more than standard as it would clash with the Panhard rod. The pirate writeup suggests trimming it down.  I was trying to avoid welding a guard on as they seem to be mud traps. But thanks for the feedback I hadn't seen one on here.

I did one like that - I think it was from Gigglepin but they don't seem to offer one these days. To be honest, once you have fitted a filler the faff factor is going to be pretty high and probably makes at least the DIY weld up one from Gwyn more attractive?

• Thanks 1

Honestly, if the pan is in good nick then one of these half-protectors does 90% of the protection you need: 

ebay.co.uk/itm/185742334578?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749392&toolid=20006&customid=GB_131090_185742334578.146649679390~1869457966696-g_CjwKCAiAlJKuBhAdEiwAnZb7lVvY64a0CPNnFkn6LGnBQzQpGXZrDZS7SjpJN_GNRKXg5SHbXwCCuxoCS5UQAvD_BwE

They don't stay full of mud unless you are completely neglectful after being offroad, and are very tough indeed.

• Thanks 1

Sewer caps are /were popular in the US. Simple, cheap and strong as F!

you might have to shorten it a little so it doesn’t fowl the Panhard, double check crown wheel clearance. 

definitely a good option 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I don't know whether it matters nor can I remember the outcome of the investigation but some diff pans are shaped the way they are to distribute the oil well.

I recall a YouTube video where someone had made glass or perspex versions off different diff covers (not LR axles, some American thing) to view the way the oil was being thrown.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I don't know whether it matters nor can I remember the outcome of the investigation but some diff pans are shaped the way they are to distribute the oil well.

I recall a YouTube video where someone had made glass or perspex versions off different diff covers (not LR axles, some American thing) to view the way the oil was being thrown.

I've seen that to.  Even one with cooling ribs on the back with some scoop below the bottem of the diff.  That cooled a fair bit on motorway use.  Can't remember the name, but it is a company.. Barns or some thing.  They do show more testing on there

12 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

That was Banks if I remember correctly.