200 front swivels

miketomcat

I have a late 200 front axle with 24 spline diffs. One of my cv's is on its way out and both swivels are past there best. I also have a pair of earlier 10 spline hub assemblys are the swivels and cv's the same or did they change to top bearing to ralko bushes on the 24 spline?

Mike

So I've puzzled over this myself a few times, from factory "generally" 10 spline = Raliko bush type... and 24 spline = roller bearing type, except late RRC's 😝

I have a suspicion that you will be able to fit 10 spline half shaft, CV, Stub axle and Hub to a later roller bearing type assembly, but I've not tried it.

I have a vague recollection that my 10 spline disco (93) was bearing top and bottom. I know our 110 is raliko. So it looks like the swivels are probably the same. I just can't take it apart and have the wrong parts. At around £200 a pop for swivels and £80 for seals gaskets etc the job of replacing a CV gets expensive really quick, so if I can use the 10 spline swivels it safes £400.

Mike

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

So I've puzzled over this myself a few times, from factory "generally" 10 spline = Raliko bush type... and 24 spline = roller bearing type, except late RRC's 😝

I have a suspicion that you will be able to fit 10 spline half shaft, CV, Stub axle and Hub to a later roller bearing type assembly, but I've not tried it.

My late RRC with 24 spline was roller bearings, I'm pretty sure.

So looking at the actual swivel it is standard across : 

Defender 2007-2016 - All models - Quantity Required - 2
Defender 1983-2006 - Models from VIN LA930456, (axle) 61L to 63S & 10M to 17M - Quantity Required - 2
Discovery 1 - All non ABS models - Quantity Required - 2
Range Rover Classic - All non ABS models VIN CA on - Quantity Required - 2

So in other words you can probably fit the swivel ball (the chalice or whatever you want to call it) to any D1/RRC/Defender as long as it doesn't have ABS.

41 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

So looking at the actual swivel it is standard across : 

Defender 2007-2016 - All models - Quantity Required - 2
Defender 1983-2006 - Models from VIN LA930456, (axle) 61L to 63S & 10M to 17M - Quantity Required - 2
Discovery 1 - All non ABS models - Quantity Required - 2
Range Rover Classic - All non ABS models VIN CA on - Quantity Required - 2

So in other words you can probably fit the swivel ball (the chalice or whatever you want to call it) to any D1/RRC/Defender as long as it doesn't have ABS.

I had it in my head that there was a difference between the swivel ball from raliko to roller bearing type... it could be totally dreamed up mind, I dont have a later one to hand to compare.

The pair I have from the 10 spline axle are which is another reason I'm keen to use them. From spending far to much time on Google it appears there are 3 main part numbers ftc5365 and frc7065 are often listed at the same time so figure they are the same and are listed as defender to 06 and RR/disco non abs. Ftc5105 seems to be defender to 06? and RR/disco with abs. It looks like the only chrome ones are old stock and few and far between. So looks like they'll fit. I'll order some parts and go from there. 🤞

Mike

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 6:02 PM, Nonimouse said:

Can you still get chromed swivels?

If you find old stock.  They stopped making them quite some time ago, unfortunately.  More environmentalism, I heard.

• Like 1