Does anyone use spring lifters/spacers? on stock suspension.

BrUcE

Looking for a bit of lift without changing springs.

Any suggestions.

www.llama4x4.co.uk

thanks

I am a bit biased to offer any advice I suppose :lol: but if you fit the 2" spacers you really need to check ( and I would suggest you will need ) some longer rear shocks or drop plates and some longer front brake hoses......

David

ive got 2" spacers from mill services on my disco. apart from having to redrill half the holes as i couldnt get the bolts in they work fine. i only needed longer hoses on the front as the spacers also relocate the shox. the rear droop is still stock so the standard hose was fine.

here is a front one showing the relocation plate for the shox.

post-785-1170549329_thumb.jpg

Mill Services manufacture the spacers I sell - and i supply the hoses and shocks he sells, so it works out nicely.

It does concern me slightly that so few people who fit them don't address the length of the rear shocks though:

Unless the springs you have on have seriously 'settled' then to add another 2" does mean you have very little droop left in the shock from its normal extension at normal ride height. This potentially very dangerous - as the body rolls around a long bend ( or a short sharp one ) if there is not enough droop left in the length of the shock to let it the weight of the rolling body will start to lift weight off the inside wheels and the car will skate sideways off the road and land on its roof in a lovely little orchard next to a quaint cottage ( ask Paul in our crowd of froends ). The rest of the weekend will then be spent waiting for your daughter to be let out of hospital!

Spacers are a very good, quick lift. AND probably far more reliable than a set of bright coloured springs that don't really work properly. BUT they are really part of the job and not the whole job in themselves

David

Mill Services manufacture the spacers I sell - and i supply the hoses and shocks he sells, so it works out nicely.

It does concern me slightly that so few people who fit them don't address the length of the rear shocks though:

Unless the springs you have on have seriously 'settled' then to add another 2" does mean you have very little droop left in the shock from its normal extension at normal ride height. This potentially very dangerous - as the body rolls around a long bend ( or a short sharp one ) if there is not enough droop left in the length of the shock to let it the weight of the rolling body will start to lift weight off the inside wheels and the car will skate sideways off the road and land on its roof in a lovely little orchard next to a quaint cottage ( ask Paul in our crowd of froends ). The rest of the weekend will then be spent waiting for your daughter to be let out of hospital!

Spacers are a very good, quick lift. AND probably far more reliable than a set of bright coloured springs that don't really work properly. BUT they are really part of the job and not the whole job in themselves

David

yeah im aware i should increase the droop now i've lifted the heap David, just never been bothered to buy a longer brakehose yet. always seems to be more urgent jobs to do on the damn thing. i cant say that i always hang about on the road & apart from some extra roll ive not noticed any changes like lifting wheels unless im REALLY silly. heavy braking mid-turn can lift a wheel & produce some rather impressive sideways drifting, now im aware i can avoid it happening.

one day if/when i sort it out properly i'll fit decent springs etc rather than keeping the spacers forever. they were a cheap option to get the tyres under & never really intended to keep them this long.

Another vote for Mill Services down here :)

Had a set on the old 90, got a set on the current 90 (rear only, 1.5")

Even with 1.5" the standard 90 shocks top out irritatingly often, I had gas shocks fitted and now run 110 shocks which are a little bit longer but a lot stiffer rebound damping = less banging!

Our Disco 300TDi uses +2" spacers and rear drop brackets. with the addition of 235/85x16 BFG ATs I have been very impressed with it offroad. several old-school trialers commented on how well it went at a very wet event a while back.

Will :)

What does it handle like on the road? does it roll very much...?

do you notice the caster correction issues?