Parabolic leafs lift

I have an 88" series 3 with fairly flat leafs (measuring 45cm from bottom of front bumper on 7.50x16 tires). So I want to fit parabolics and was wondering what brands give the best increase in lift and longevity (time before they start sagging). Also, what kind of lift should I expect to see? Ps. I am aware that I will need longer shocks. Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, JonathanCus said:

I have an 88" series 3 with fairly flat leafs (measuring 45cm from bottom of front bumper on 7.50x16 tires). So I want to fit parabolics and was wondering what brands give the best increase in lift and longevity (time before they start sagging). Also, what kind of lift should I expect to see? Ps. I am aware that I will need longer shocks. Thanks in advance

Parabolic springs will be about 2 inch higher over standard springs.  Change the dampers for a good quality gas shocks.

About 2" of lift, generally.

GB springs tend to get the nod (coloured blue):

Land Rover Parabolic Springs - GB Springs

Or rocky mountain (coloured black):

Rocky Mountain, Parabolic Springs

Britpart (coloured grey) tend to get a bad write up due to having a harsh ride, but no experience  myself. I have seen a lot of these offered second hand on ebay, there must be a reason for this.

The rear springs tend to be too high, so I would definitely go for 2 leafs, depending on the weight of your car.

Please let us know what you decide to go for and your findings.

Regards, Daan

10 hours ago, JonathanCus said:

Lift will depend on which springs, brand, spring rate and how saggy your current ones are. I'd suggest some good modern gas or twin tube shocks. If you move the upper mounts you can get a much longer shock and more flex too. Although you may wish to do some other supporting mods too.

Not sure on brands these days, Heystee used to have the reputation, although I couldn't get on with them when I went to buy, so I bought from Rocky Mountain Spares. Biggest thing I'd say is, don't buy high spring rates unless you need the loading capacity, it'll ride rock hard and bouncy otherwise. Soft springs will give a good ride, but reduce how much you can haul without lots of suspension compression. Softer springs will give more body roll too.

Really miss my leafer.....

q01LMlkl.jpg

S120Gx2l.jpg

• Like 1

I have TI Console (now called Heystee, the owner’s surname) which haven’t sagged at all in over 25 years.  They are very expensive compared to the others, though.

Expect about 2” lift, so be wary of the brake lines, not just the dampers.  Avoid ProComp dampers, typically sold with parabolic springs as a kit - they rust and leak very quickly, and their common ES9000 spec are far to stiff even for road use.  ES3000 works fine until they rust.

26 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I have TI Console (now called Heystee, the owner’s surname) which haven’t sagged at all in over 25 years.  They are very expensive compared to the others, though.

Same here, still on the set of TIC's fitted about 20+ years ago and they've survived being abused by portal axles and big tyres.

Biggest improvement I made was Bilstein 5125's rather than the cheap ProComps.

Another TI Console user here...

image.png.828cee6f4d477c4ef97c3ec7b59c9f3a.png

Under the 88" for about 27 years now, with matching Koni shocks, and quite happy with them.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Avoid ProComp dampers,  they rust and leak very quickly, and their common ES9000 spec are far to stiff even for road use. 

Surprised to hear that, have used ProComp ES9000 for the last 35 years or so, never had an issue with them, loved them, only swapped to Fox because of the weight of my mog axles 

Regards Stephen 

30 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Surprised to hear that, have used ProComp ES9000 for the last 35 years or so, never had an issue with them, loved them, only swapped to Fox because of the weight of my mog axles 

Regards Stephen 

Are you not meant to be working?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stinkfloyd said:

Are you not meant to be working?

Multi tasking....

Anyway, if I was a corpse I'd still manage more work than you.......

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Regards Stephen 

I had them under mine since 2002, and they lasted a very long time with a lot of abuse. It seems at some stage in the production of these, the been counters took over and the quality nose dived as a result.

7 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Regards Stephen 

I had Rough Country shocks on my leader above and no complaints. But I used to run +2 ProComps on my coiler 88. I forget the exact model, got them from Llama4x4 iirc. They lasted well, never leaked. Did rust a bit, but not quickly. Only replaced because I eventually pulled the eye off the top of a rear one. 

Replaced with Britpart Celluar Dynamic. The Britpart handle way better with loads less roll. But ride quite a bit harsher. 

On 4/11/2024 at 1:37 AM, Daan said:

I had them under mine since 2002, and they lasted a very long time with a lot of abuse. It seems at some stage in the production of these, the been counters took over and the quality nose dived as a result.

That could be the cause.  Throwing the rubber boots in the bin helps - they just trap condensation on the piston and cause the rust.  If the piston can “breathe”, they last considerably longer.  I recall one of the early UK kit vendors (Welsh, I think) selling kits of TIConsole springs and Procomps with specially fitted standard steel shrouds instead of the rubber boots.  That may have helped.