Welding advice needed - easy I think

Hi,

It'll come as no surprise I'm sure that my early 110 needs some welding. Specifically engine mounts (V8 going in), an outrigger and rear crossmember plus the usual door frames.

I have been loaned a gasless MIG by a kind neighbour and just did the engine mounts...but I don't think the weld is deep enough (or I'm far more carp at welding than I thought) as if I use the engine hoist I can very easily snap the welds again.

It's a 45A unit. I suspect it's not man enough - would I be right?

I also have access to a 100A (I believe) stick welder. Would I be better using that, getting a more beefy MIG or learning to weld better?

Any advice/comment welcome.

Thanks.

45A won't be enough,

For engine mounts 100A stick welder *may* do it, you can try it and see what happens, but stick is not as initially easy as MIG. 

Is anyone close to you that could pop in advise? 

16 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

45A won't be enough,

For engine mounts 100A stick welder *may* do it, you can try it and see what happens, but stick is not as initially easy as MIG. 

Is anyone close to you that could pop in advise? 

Sadly not. I can pick up a 120A Gasless MIG tomorrow - it's adjustable down to 50A so will probably do for all my needs i guess. I have welded before (stick and gas) but it was about 45 years ago doing 'O' level metalwork (I passed).

Reckon that's going to suffice?

Make sure you clean the area your welding the mount too , shiny steel is best . If you’ve got some scrap lying around clean that up and have a practice on that first till you feel comfortable and 0.8 mm wire would be best . Once happy you could multi run it , putting a run of weld on top of another the link shows a pic https://images.app.goo.gl/axeed9BA9ajxnKZq8 .

• Thanks 1

100amp stick with 2.5 rods should burn in nicely however you will need to practice vertical welding unless you can stand the chassis on its side

Go on can however purchase multi- positional rods and weld downwards

I find gasless mig horrible but that's just me

Which ever say you go practice on scrap is essential

Regards Stephen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gasless MIG needs to be positive earth to stand any chance of working. 

Practice parts at the same position the repair will be worthwhile (after mastering it flat) as said above 

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. As always this forum never disappoints.

I've got plenty of scrap lying around to practice on, fortunately. And the unit I'm looking at comes with .5kg of 0.8mm wire, which is a happy coincidence...

39 minutes ago, bushwhacker said:

If you have a few areas to weld up it might be worth a look at second hand or even new. 150amp but better with 200amp gas.

Yes, I've been offered a 150A gas/gasless/MMA on long term loan so I'll run with that. I don't have the facilities to work indoors so gasless is more convenient, obviously. Then I can use my spare time (ha!) to refresh myself on other techniques and be useful to locals needing welding.

7 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Unless its blowing a gale, that kind of welding with gas isn't going to be an issue outside.

Given I almost always end up welding outside with MIG, I'd disagree with this, if there's much more than a gentle breeze you need to be careful with what you are doing or the gas shield just blows away, and you end up with porosity. 

You can. Strategically place stuff around the weld (even you other gloved hand) which can help. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bowie69 said:

Given I almost always end up welding outside with MIG, I'd disagree with this, if there's much more than a gentle breeze you need to be careful with what you are doing or the gas shield just blows away, and you end up with porosity. 

You can. Strategically place stuff around the weld (even you other gloved hand) which can help. 

Fair enough, even with the TIG I've done loads of stuff outside like that without issue. Outside corners are another thing, but internal corners like the sides of an engine mount have never given me any issues. 

Just now, landroversforever said:

I've had more issues in the workshop forgetting to turn off the fan in the summer :lol: 

That is also an issue if you use a fan heater in the workshop.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Fair enough, even with the TIG I've done loads of stuff outside like that without issue. Outside corners are another thing, but internal corners like the sides of an engine mount have never given me any issues. 

You are, I suspect, a far more accomplished welder than I. For now at least I'm going to need all the help I can get.

32 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Sorry for the OT Junglie.... but one time with a brand new cylinder I got as far as disconnecting it and putting in the car to take back before I thought about the fan :D :rofl: 

I digress like Ronnie Corbett. Don't worry about it ;)

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Turning up the gas can also help...

Regards Stephen

1 hour ago, bishbosh said:

This is not a concept Stephen understands....... :D 

I nearly posted limits are to be pushed or broken, as it happens I didn't have to .......lol

Regards Stephen