ulez

dwd

I am about to sell my series 111, I have changed tax to historic vehicle calss, also its now MOT exempt. I have noticed other sellers advertise their series as ulez exempt, does anyone know what I have to do to classify it as exempt? Thanks in anticipation DW.

If the V5 says historic, then it exempt from the ULEZ and, to my understanding, all other UK city LEZ charges.  You may still need to register it with those city authorities, like modern vehicles have to for charging.

From the TFL website:

Historic vehicles

Two categories of historic vehicles are exempt from ULEZ:

1. All vehicles built before 1 January 1973
  2. Vehicles over 40 years old that have been successfully registered with the DVLA for a historic vehicle tax class

...If your vehicle meets any of the above criteria and is registered in the UK, it is automatically exempt and you do not need to register with us. 

5 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Side issue, but I just noticed the DVLA website says you can't get historic status if you've replaced the chassis or bodywork. 

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

That's incredibly annoying. 

Did you click the link on the page that explains guidance on what is it isn’t acceptable? Also note that this is a self declaration process. 

I believe your statement of chassis and bodywork is not wholly accurate based on the info provided on the dot Gov site. 

• Thanks 1

Correct, even that page says otherwise:

• no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works

A standard chassis swap does not change the way the vehicle works, therefore you can still get historic status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Correct, even that page says otherwise:

A standard chassis swap does not change the way the vehicle works, therefore you can still get historic status.

Correct. Nor does putting a V8 into a diesel as long as it's fundamentally a V8 which would have been fitted at the factory. So a 7 litre Ford would break the historic vehicle rules. A 3.9 Rover V8...doesnt.

Just now, ThreePointFive said:

Read it in a rush, wholly accept my concern is unfounded. 

Delete?

No, I am quoting you here so we can prolong the shame.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

A Galvanised chassis is a modification

As this is no longer a Police matter, and I often share a break room with chaps from the DVSA, I asked for their interpretation. Interesting response, with some choice and colourful words. It's similar in some ways to the Tacho rules. No one actually understands it and no one will give a definitive guidance. So a good brief will get you off, but you might have to pau LEZ charges