Locating the Radiator into the rear?

Warthog

Keep having to clean out the Rad and Intercooler on my 90. So am cosidering (long way off, though) the option of moving it to the rear. Mounted in some fashion to the roll cage or similiar?

Have researched a little on doing so, but hav'nt come accross, whether it is wise to install a second pump (electric) to keep flow rate up?

Cheers

Mark

This is the standard set up on the Tomcats and even given the tortured route the pipework takes we are still using the standard pump has been on there 3 years 300 tdi.

The one thing I would say is filling the system is a nightmare and expect to spend quite some time getting the air out of the system, lots of starting reving for 10 secs, stopping removing caps and re-filling. Other than that it is brilliant, I never clean the radiator out.

Make sure if you are setting it up against a cowl that water can drain away from the front as this is one issue I had....too well sealed.

This is the standard set up on the Tomcats and even given the tortured route the pipework takes we are still using the standard pump has been on there 3 years 300 tdi.

The one thing I would say is filling the system is a nightmare and expect to spend quite some time getting the air out of the system, lots of starting reving for 10 secs, stopping removing caps and re-filling. Other than that it is brilliant, I never clean the radiator out.

Make sure if you are setting it up against a cowl that water can drain away from the front as this is one issue I had....too well sealed.

any pictures

would get away with the problem of intercooler blocking air flow thrugh a front mounted rad.

or was that youre logic worthog? :blink:

Would, realistically just relocate the Rad to the rear. Then centralise the Intercooler, with only the intercooler to clean, i could live with that ^_^

I would think moving the intercooler to the back would cause problems? Not sure what exactly, but?.......Someone will be along to explain :i-m_so_happy:

I run a rear rad with the 300tdi in the gwagon with no problems, it even bleds up really easily :D

I would think moving the intercooler to the back would cause problems? Not sure what exactly, but?.......Someone will be along to explain :i-m_so_happy:

You'd need a sundial to measure the turbo lag.

And of course the sundial is already in use to measure the 0-60 time ;)

yeah but doesn't die near water

i've got rear mounted rad in 200tdi tomcat the best thing i ever did and i've an ally sport inter cooler in the front only probs with bleeding is have to fill then bleed top hose then finish filling if you want some pics pm me your email and i'll send you some (as haven't mastered posting pics yet :unsure: )

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Only question is what are you planning to use the truck for?

If its only for low speed work you'll be fine with the rad in the back, but if its for a racer, having the rad in the back does all sort of weird things! Becasue of the turbulent airflow over the back of the car you can have rear trouble getting enough air through the rad - thats why you'll often see racers with big air scoops over the roof to try and force more air through the rads. However they dont work entirely. My mate has had terrible trouble with this on his racer. Its weired cos to me the fans on it blow the wrong way (ie they blow forwards towards the front of the truck) but having tried all sorts of things and tested it this is the way he's found the air actually moves!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...