Utterly O/T: Networking 2 PCs

Can any of the more IT literate amongst the readership tell me how (if possible) to link my main PC and a laptop for the purposes of sharing files and also for using the internet simultaneously. Would it be possible for both computers to view different websites at the same time? Sorry if this is a bone question.

Thanks in anticipation

Ged

Can any of the more IT literate amongst the readership tell me how (if possible) to link my main PC and a laptop for the purposes of sharing files and also for using the internet simultaneously. Would it be possible for both computers to view different websites at the same time? Sorry if this is a bone question.

Thanks in anticipation

Ged

Both machines will need a network card.

How are you connecting to the Internet? Let's assume through broad band router.

The easiest way is to get a network hub or switch.

If your broadband router has an ethernet port, then you are set. Plug your PC and laptop into the switch and plug the router into the WLAN port of the switch. Job done.

If you router connects via USB or some such, then you'll need to leave the router attached to your main PC.

Connect up your laptop and PC via the switch and share out your internet connection on the PC.

Yes, each machine will be able to do as it wishes with the internet connection, view differenet sites, download files etc.

I would guess you have a USB modem for your internet connection...

Both computers will need a network card. You can either use two normal network cables and a switch, or you can use a single 'crossover' cable.

Simple explanation...in a crossover cable the send and receive wires are crossed over so you can directly connect two computers. Normal network cables are designed to connect a computer to a network - on the other end of the cable will be a hub (or a switch...the same thing in essence) with many other computers also attached to it. The normal network cables do not cross over the send and receive wires as this is carried out by the hub.

If you plan on adding a third computer at some point, then use a hub - if not, just use a cross over cable.

Once you have them physically connected, open up control panel on the main PC and run 'Network set up wizard'. Follow the prompts - it should also give you instructions on how to setup the other PC.

just want to add some more confusion ;)

if your internet router has several network ports (they look like a telephone plug, but a bit wider), then you can connect you computers there

if your internet router supports wireless (wi-fi), you can have wi-fi usb adapters in your computers to connect to it, and avoid cables (careful with the configuration or you will allow neighbours to acces your computers and use your internet connection). if the laptop is recent, maybe it already has the wi-fi adapter built-in

if your internet router is usb, you can connect the two computers' network cards directly, using a cross-over cable, avoiding the use of a hub/switch. in this case, you won't be able to add another computer to your home network

this was the hardware options you have. then, you will have to configure the software (windows, i presume) to share the connection and connect everything together. it may seem difficult, but i'm sure someone will help you out and connect everything, for a few beers :)

I have broadband connection through an external USB modem (is this the router?).

Yes.

How do I know if I have a network card?

You'll have a socket on your laptop/PC like the one on the right. Looks like a phone cable jack, but is wider

rj45rj11.jpg

Yep they are the network card sockets, all you need to do is plug a standard network cable from each of the sockets to the back of your router, which will have probably 5 identical looking sockets, it dosn't matter which ones you plug into.

pop down to office world and buy an external WiFi router for about £40

you then don't use the USB modem but plug the router into your PC, and as long as your laptop has a wi-fi connection then the laptop will automaticallly connect to the internet from anywhere withihn range of the router.

routers are much much much better than USB modems- they add a separate layer of security into your PC system which is totally and utterly essential for b/band connections which are always on. If you want to find out how safe your PC is go to www.grc.com and try some of the security tests they have- you may be unpleasantly surprised!

Cheers for that Ralph!

I have something called a Thomson Speedtouch ADSL external modem with two connections; one whick looks like a larger UK phone socket and the other is hard-wired straight to the USB port on the rear of the PC.

My main PC is Windows 2000 professional and the laptop is XP

Ok you just have a USB modem, obviously the USB connects to the computer and the other socket connects to your ADSL phone line.

Yes you could connect the laptop to the desktop computer and then the desktop to the modem and both share the internet, files, printer, etc, however this is not a good setup and should be avoided at all costs.

As already stated a router adds another level of security on top of any software security your computer has, this is important as your computer will be permanently connected to the internet and therefore easier to hack, etc, therefore I would recommend you get a router a.s.a.p.

HTH

I had one of those speedtouch modems,

my laptop is connected to the network socket on the desktop PC's motherboard,

modem is connected as per it's instructions [phone plug to wall socket & rj11 to PC,

laptop is set to connect through the PC to internet

& PC's set to share it's internet modem .

both mine a running XP [Pro on laptop & Home on desktop]

hope that helps.

Thanks a lot Ralph. What is the connection set up with the router exactly ie where does it sit in the sequence of connections and please excue my crashing ignorance, but what does a router do that modem doesn't in terms of security?What is the cable called that connects the two PCs? is this the RJ45?

Thanks for all the help - very much appreciated. Now if I could only get my fingers used to this crazy French keyboard.........

A router is a box with a modem and a (small and simple) computer in it. It sits permenantly connected to the internet and your computer(s) then connect to it in order to access the internet.

This is more secure because anyone looking at your internet connection will see the router and not your computer - this gives them no idea of what is on the other side and no way to access anything.

An RJ45 is the type of socket. The cables come in two flavours - crossover and normal. If you are going to get a router (probably the best option) then don't worry about crossover cables - the router will have several connections on it for multiple computers.

The modem (Modulator/Demodulator) just basically encodes a digital signal into anologue and back to digital enabling data to be sent along the phone line.

You could if you wish just plug your computer direct into your modem (via USB) and the modem into the phone line and you would be able to surf the net, but it is very insecure to do this.

A router cannot connect directly to the phone line and needs the modem in order to do so (some routers have a modem built in), therefore you would connect your computer to the router and the router to the modem and then finally the modem to the phone line.

As the name sujests a router "routes" information around a network. It is only realy required to connect remote networks together (think internet.. lots of different networks connected together) so is not realy required for a small home network, this is because you connect to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) directly via your modem and they carry out the routing on your behalf.

However most modern routers do more than just route and these other functions are what you realy require the router for.

The most important function they do as far as your concerned is provide a firewall, basically this is a software barrier between your network and the internet. When you connect to your ISP they give your computer what is called an IP address, this basically enables your computer to be located anywhere on the internet, because of this your computer can also be attacked in a varity of ways from any other computer connected to the internet (viruses, trojans, spyware, worms, etc, the list is endless).

The router does something called NAT (Network Address Translation) and basically uses the IP address you've been assigned by your ISP as it's own address, it then gives your network another address which is unkown on the internet. The router now basically looks at all the incoming (and sometimes outgoing) data to determin if it is safe before forwarding to the addresses it has given to the computers on your network.

This is also usefull as you only have one IP address (so effectively only one computer can connect to the internet) but NAT lets you give each computer a unique address to access the internet.

HTH

M@

Thanks a lot Ralph. What is the connection set up with the router exactly ie where does it sit in the sequence of connections and please excue my crashing ignorance, but what does a router do that modem doesn't in terms of security?What is the cable called that connects the two PCs? is this the RJ45?

Thanks for all the help - very much appreciated. Now if I could only get my fingers used to this crazy French keyboard.........

no router in my wired network at the moment, but there will be soon, so I can use the laptop in wireless mode.

Laptop -------- network cable -------------- desktop PC --------- Modem --------- phoneline wall socket.

IIRC mines a crossover network cable RJ45 each end & green in colour.

What Western said - you need a crossover network cable (clicky) from laptop to desktop and then share the internet connection on the desktop.

A wired DSL router (clicky) is a cheap and easy way to connect more computers or share a connection without having to have both computers on. As has been mentioned it also acts as an extra level of protection from hackers etc.