air pipe routing for front ARB?

marsie

Whats the best way to route the air feed to my front arb? on the rear it is pretty straight forward but on the front there is no a frame

Am i better off running it down the radius arm then across or down the chassis then across to the diff and leave enough pipe for axle travel??

Paul :)

Whats the best way to route the air feed to my front arb? on the rear it is pretty straight forward but on the front there is no a frame

Am i better off running it down the radius arm then across or down the chassis then across to the diff and leave enough pipe for axle travel??

Yep

On mine I came through the floor just near the radius arm bushes, then along the inside centre of the radiyus arm (drilled 3mm holes and used P Clips to suit pipe and allen bolt and nuts, then onto casing and to ARB.

Nige

I have seen both and would definately recomend your second sujestion going up to the chassis ass soonas possible from the diff allowing enough slack for axle movement.

I have run mine up the (hockey stick) and do not recomend it if you intend on doing serious off road.

(why have you bought an arb if not?)

Brash rubish and tree stumps rub against the hockey sticks whilst off roading and crush the arb pipe, I have seen p clips totally mangeled, I have seen people try to get round this by welding pipe allong the length of the hockey stick but when the pipe gets clushed the arb pipe then becomes dificult to replace usually while you are stuck deap in mud.

A tip given to me by Gwyn Lewis is to have a quick relase push in conector close to the diff and another close to the chassis, in the unlightly event that a stray branch being driven over plans to attack your arb hose it will simply pull apart your push fit connector without doing any further damage, this can then be very quickly pushed back together afterwards.

These type of push fit conectors are quite often found used on aquarium air lines.

I have seen both and would definately recomend your second sujestion going up to the chassis ass soonas possible from the diff allowing enough slack for axle movement.

I have run mine up the (hockey stick) and do not recomend it if you intend on doing serious off road.

(why have you bought an arb if not?)

Brash rubish and tree stumps rub against the hockey sticks whilst off roading and crush the arb pipe, I have seen p clips totally mangeled, I have seen people try to get round this by welding pipe allong the length of the hockey stick but when the pipe gets clushed the arb pipe then becomes dificult to replace usually while you are stuck deap in mud.

A tip given to me by Gwyn Lewis is to have a quick relase push in conector close to the diff and another close to the chassis, in the unlightly event that a stray branch being driven over plans to attack your arb hose it will simply pull apart your push fit connector without doing any further damage, this can then be very quickly pushed back together afterwards.

These type of push fit conectors are quite often found used on aquarium air lines.

Yes Rob,i like the idea of a couple of push connectors.We use them at work(HGV garage)so will have no problem getting some.

Thanks for the advice everyone,i will have a try today and decide which way i will go

Mines the same as Tony and Rob, along the chassis rail and then down onto the diff. The push connector is a good idea, I have had a air hose ripped off whilst off roading and unless you have a spare connector you've lost your locker for the day.

HTH

Mo

I ran my ARB line inside some of that braided transparent rubbery tubing, zip tied to the inside of the QT radius arm (zip tied next to the axle breather), fits nicely and well protected.

What i would be interested in, is a better way of connecting the ARB pipe to the diff, the standard one exists vertically which is fine for taking the pipe up to the chassis but mine loops up and back down to axle (prone to getting hooked on sticks).

Replacing the olive compression fitting with a low profile 90deg connector with a quick release connector would seem better, anyone tried this?

I've had mine along one of the hockey sticks and not had any problems. If you've got a problem with brushing or crushing then you could always fit ARB's HD airline. Quick connectors are a good idea but if the pipwork is out of the way with minimal slack (not possible with the other method) then its less likely to get snagged.

I have had two push fit connectors and a 6' length of pipe as standard spares, have had them for 3 years or so now, I just know the day I stop carrying them I will need them.

Both my arb air routes follow brake pipe runs, i.e. the front goes along the axle, supported around the swivel then up to the brake lines, the rear follows up to the a frame then to the chassis.

Rob mentioned Aquarium air line fittings,

I don't think a standard push-fit, in the pneumatic/industrial sense will part if pulled, They grip like mad. I use them on my fridge compressor set up and you can't pull the pipe out until you depress the locking ring, and a branch won't be able to do that.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the compressor and switches and Ali wired it originally and I removed it from the 90 over a years ago and now I can't remember whats what. :unsure:

Theres one in the tech archive IIRC, or failing that on the D44 website

However I ignored the ARB diagram and devised my own simpler circuit

Lewis :)