Sliding Rattley Side Windows

v8bertha

The sliding windows in the back of the camel are doing my nut! They rattle so much.

Has anybody on here fixed this on their defender and if so, how?

I'm kinda looking for a proper solution rather than just sticking a load of gaffer tape around them! :rolleyes:

Ta

Dan :D

Open them up put black silicone sealant in the runners and all up the side, squidge them shut and wipe off the excess, then put a bead up between the two sections of glass where they overlap half way along. Job done ;)

In a 90 you can also take the windows out and fit the solid (non sliding) ones out of a windowed 90 HT.

I am just about to find out whether a set of these will fit in the back of a 110SW so watch this space!

its a 1996 110.

I've has a look on one of them LR Parts systems and it gave me the part number of a length of felt that I presume you just stuff in the gap :blink:

I was hoping for something a bit more solid tho.

Russ, you are correct, the runners seem to have turned into a nice green mushy type of mouldy stuff that isn't very good at holding windows in place!!

Anyone know if there is an alternative to the LR strip of felt?

Open them up put black silicone sealant in the runners and all up the side, squidge them shut and wipe off the excess, then put a bead up between the two sections of glass where they overlap half way along. Job done ;)

In a 90 you can also take the windows out and fit the solid (non sliding) ones out of a windowed 90 HT.

I am just about to find out whether a set of these will fit in the back of a 110SW so watch this space!

Cheers Bogmonster, a true Landy bodge!! :lol:

I'll wait to see how you get on before covering myself in black rubber!! :moglite:

IF the felt is still good;

Ease out the felt where it runs in the upright section, stuff a length of packing (ie a strip of felt or cork etc) in the channel, replace felt and with a bit of luck and perhaps some trial and error on the packing it will have tightened up the location of the locking peg.

I jammed a folded up receipt between the two panes of glass about 30,000 miles ago.

I've heard no rattling since, so in my book that's a proper repair! :D

i jammed a beer mat in there 18 months ago job done

My Cab rear window rattled, had sheep tail docking rubbers wedged between the panes and still rattled.

I removed all the rotted felt and replace, a bit fiddley but dose not rattle at all now.

Tip:- make sure you use a good rubber based adhesive in the bottom of the channels to prevent the felt from moving.

p.s I got the felt from Bearmach.

Replaced the channel in my SIII, with aluminum channel used to make sliding shower doors. It is 1 1/2" wide. Founded the channel at a shop that fabricates aluminum windows and doors. Used some carpet padding felt to line the channel.

Pic below may give a idea. Four years and no rattles!

post-208-1176255560_thumb.jpg

post-208-1176255579_thumb.jpg

Dan's unlikely to get to the computer today, so I'll say 'thanks for all the suggestions!' , especially thanks as it drives me mad!! :angry::D

I've got to replace the runners on my SII windows at some stage, so thanks 88" Special, those piccies will give me something to aim for :)

Anything will be better than the fluffy Camel jamed between the window and the Rollcage :huh:

I like the fluffy camel! :(

lol! Don't worry, he'll just join the other 2 fluffy camels positioned elsewhere in the vehicle... I'm starting to think we needed a Camel 130 to carry all the Camel related fluffy toys around! :ph34r:

I got tired of replacing the bottom window channels on the front doors of my series 2a every year so I slit a piece of

1/4'' x 5/8'' rubber fuel hose about 1/2'' longer than the sliding pane, slipped that onto the bottom of the glass and retained in position with a dob of silastic at each end. Instead of the glass sliding in the channel, it and the length of hose slide together in the door top. It doesn't rattle, the window doesn't vibrate open or shut and the rubber hose never rots.

Bill.