securing a ragtop 90

garfyted

here's one for you guys & girls - how do i doi it without bolt on bits from halfords - ive seen a hydraulic system in the past which locks the clutch pedal solid after turning a key on the dash - cant seem to locate a manufacturer now - anyone got any bright ideas?

How about a big shiny spike which secures to the driver seat base? Maybe another one for the steering wheel.

You would have to be pretty brave to try to drive it! Maybe not so secure in Brighton tho? :ph34r:

Si

Ive got the Meck Lock fitted on my ragtop 90. I went for the two circuit system which not only interupts the clutch system but also interupts the brake circuit and locks the brakes on if they try and steal it. Apparently not legal in the UK cough ..... ahem :rolleyes: but not had any MOT issues with it. If it keeps is on my drive i dont care ;)

There is always the low cost "Mech-lock" - an oily Haynes book of lies left open on the driver seat on the "diagnosing engine faults" page.

I suspect that's why my LR was never touched when I lived in London. Every pikey for miles around must have seen me fixing the thing by the side of the road and knew it would be more trouble than it's worth. ;)

Si

disk-lock... £100 from halfords...

In bright yellow they are a good visual deterant.. I've got one and they are very strong..

you could also put some sort of switch in the ignition circuit, which would prevent it being hot-wired...

Sadly cannot use clutch thing on my motor as its an auto, but have a jetlock on the handbrake, a big bike security chain around the steering wheel to the seat adjustment rail, an electric cut out switch, and chain it to my other motor when at home (I have also a few other goodies, but they are not for public consumption.

Im thinking of getting a van security box for the back to keep all the kit in, Id bolt it to the platform I have made that the spare wheel lives under.

There's nothing that can be dont to stop a full vehicle lift, but a few of the security devices (TrakBak for one) alert the monitoring centre if the vehicle is moved without the system being deactivated, and then tracks it. I can remember getting a new set of tyres and the mechanics put the motor on a trolley jack and then moved it around the workshop a few feet to allow another vehicle to be moved. Whilst in the waiting room, I had a call from monitoring centre asking if I was with the vehicle and that it had moved without being deactivated! very cunning ! :¬)