HID headlamp conversion kit

jericho

HID Bi xenon H4 retro fitting kits - about £100 to £120 from UK retailers.

250% light output,60% power consumption (35w)

I keep looking at these kits for sale on ebay - they sound great,but do they actually work.

Has anyone first hand experience of retro fitted HID Xenon bulbs?

I read a post on another forum where someone said they were rubbish - that they have to be designed as a bulb/reflector unit,due to the different orientation of HID light capsules.But I think the chap was involved in the car lighting bussiness,so maybe had an axe to grind.

I would like seriously upgraded headlights,but would rather not spoil the beautiful simplicity of my series 2a with extra driving lights.

Anyone have knowledge of these HID things?

Just so you know, they are illegal in the UK without some levelling capability. OK on air suspension equipped LR's but others would need self levelling units. MOT stations are becoming hotter on this and will fail vehicles fitted with HID's without levelling.

Cheers

Steve

they also need a cleaning system- ie washer jets or wipers for the head lamps, in order to be legal.

also you do need quite a kick to get these bulbs started so you'd better make sure that these kits become with the relevant parts.

some of the recent "normal" bulbs seem to have got a hell of a lot more powerful recently too.

A mate of mine who is a clever sort pointed out that "domestic" HID units for cars have a crash cut-out as obviously the emergency services don't want to be near a crashed vehicle that may have 10,000v exposed. They're only designed to work once too (EG bang and it's dead). How that would cope in an off-roader I don't know, and given the price of HID ballasts I don't wanna find out.

That said I think

are probably up to it, and they're bleedin' bright to boot.

Yes they are. I can also recommend Rally Blue bulbs, they cast a more "daylight" coloured light that the man in the parts shop said was ideal for dogging, whatever that is :ph34r:

Got stock H4's in the 109 so as not to give the MOT man anything (extra) to scratch his head about but will probably bung some blues in ASAP afterwards ;)

I am thinking of going this way... Are the bulbs H4 in these?

Rog

Already answered - but yes I can confirm they are. The units are very easy to fit (corrosion problems aside on an old Series) too - as easy as changing one of the original sealed beam units.

HID Bi xenon H4 retro fitting kits - about £100 to £120 from UK retailers.

250% light output,60% power consumption (35w)

I keep looking at these kits for sale on ebay - they sound great,but do they actually work.

Has anyone first hand experience of retro fitted HID Xenon bulbs?

I read a post on another forum where someone said they were rubbish - that they have to be designed as a bulb/reflector unit,due to the different orientation of HID light capsules.But I think the chap was involved in the car lighting bussiness,so maybe had an axe to grind.

I would like seriously upgraded headlights,but would rather not spoil the beautiful simplicity of my series 2a with extra driving lights.

Anyone have knowledge of these HID things?

I have been pondering these for some time....

I belive that the 'dippable' H4 type uses a solenoid to move the bulbs focus point in order to dip. i would assume then that its possible to adjust the level in that way.

Already answered - but yes I can confirm they are. The units are very easy to fit (corrosion problems aside on an old Series) too - as easy as changing one of the original sealed beam units.

How water tight are they? I know they're never going to be as good as sealed beam in that respect, but the cheapo ones in mine (about £16 a pair IIRC - proof that you get what you pay for, I guess :rolleyes: ) fill up with water if you go wading, and as a result have knackered reflectors. I've tried sealing them up with instant gasket, but it doesn't work. Suppose silicon might be a better bet.

How water tight are they?

No idea... never tried it yet.

But actually I have never planned on my Landy getting immersed to that level.....if I had I presume the water would have brought my 2.25 petrol to a halt.... (let me know otherwise as that would be good) I reckon a bit of water in me lights would at that point be the least of my problems......

No idea... never tried it yet.

But actually I have never planned on my Landy getting immersed to that level.....if I had I presume the water would have brought my 2.25 petrol to a halt.... (let me know otherwise as that would be good) I reckon a bit of water in me lights would at that point be the least of my problems......

I think that the most likely time for getting water in the headlights is not plain wading, but when dropping into a hole when the combination of bow-wave, vehicle angle and suspension compression combine to have an effect somewhat similar to this:

P1030705.jpg

A different angle on 'dipping the lights' :D

Rog

I have been pondering these for some time....

I belive that the 'dippable' H4 type uses a solenoid to move the bulbs focus point in order to dip. i would assume then that its possible to adjust the level in that way.

On the HID bulbs I've seen, then NO.

The light source is a small 'bubble' about halfway along a rod of glass. The glass is horizontal, like a standard H1 or H4 bulb, and never moves.

Around the glass is a chromed steel tube, which extends the full length of the glass rod, and has an end cap on.

The upper half of the tube is cut away, so light from the bubble shines upwards, hits the upper half of the reflector cone and is reflected down and forward through the lens prism, giving dip beam.

The lower half of the tube has a transverse slot cut in it, and in the unpowered dip position this slot is over the solid base which holds the glass rod, thus no light shines through the slot.

When main beam is selected the metal tube is pushed forwards by a solenoid. The slot is now level with the light source bubble, so light shines downwards (as well as upwards). The downward light hits the lower half of the reflector cone, being directed forward through the lens prism, thus giving BOTH dip AND main at the same time.

You can see there is no individual Main OR Dip adjustment. Whatever you do affects both at the same time.

If you want a guaranteed result, use www.HIDs4U. co.uk and ask his advice about which is right for your use and your pocket.

Unless you know, and have driven behind someone else's ebay purchase, and feel they are right for you, then ignore ebay, AND and other vendors. Let someone else gamble, like me, and take advantage of my mistakes.

Power is nothing without control, and having a million candle power shining out from the front of your car will be a waste of time if the beam is not accurately controlled.

Personally I don't want the tarmac close to the car turning white when I'm trying to do 60mph in the dark. I want the bright spot lifting from in front of the car on dip to further down the road when on main, thus I have a problem with any device that leaves Dip on (as HIDs do) when I select Main. Others think brighter is best, even if the bright bit is so close to the bonnet that at 88 feet per second (60mph) you will hit whatever is in the bright spot before you have chance to press the brake pedal.

The cost effective answer is Osram Silver star bulbs.

I've no experience with the Crystal Sealed beam, but I'll probably be trying some if I keep the Series 2 device.

HTH.

On the HID bulbs I've seen, then NO.

The light source is a small 'bubble' about halfway along a rod of glass. The glass is horizontal, like a standard H1 or H4 bulb, and never moves.

You can see there is no individual Main OR Dip adjustment. Whatever you do affects both at the same time.

No, have a look for 'Bi Xenon' or 'hi/lo'

In a conventional bulb, its the position of the filament that determines the beam pattern. i.e. the high beam filament is in in the focal point for that pattern.

The Bi Xenon only has one light source, so a solenoid moves the filament from dipped to full position. (there was an older type which had a conventional dipped halogen + a HID full beam)

I've no idea how good they are though, but i may invest in a pair as prices are coming down.