How could I get my 200tdi to run on used vegetable oil.

BrUcE

There's loads of info on this if you Google. Essentially you could pour it straight in and it'll run but it will glaze/coke up the internals. The only way I know for long term use is either a proper SVO (Straight Vegitable Oil) conversion or refine the oil into bio-diesel.

There's loads of info on this if you Google. Essentially you could pour it straight in and it'll run but it will glaze/coke up the internals. The only way I know for long term use is either a proper SVO (Straight Vegitable Oil) conversion or refine the oil into bio-diesel.

Once you've filtered out all the chips and batter, there are people running it mixed up to 50% with diesel, with no serious ill effects.

Otherwise you can crack it into proper bio-diesel that you should be able to run in any diesel vehicle

This should get you started.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html

There are engine conversions that basically heat the SVO from a separate tank before combustion.

You start and stop on diesel and switch to SVO when hot.

They are about 700Stg for the bits, when I last researched.

http://www.diesel-therm.com/vegetable-oil-kit.htm

(Edited to add, I've asked for a conversion quote from these people, as I hadn't come across them before. Will let you know.)

Once you've filtered out all the chips and batter, there are people running it mixed up to 50% with diesel, with no serious ill effects.

I've read debatable reports on long term durability, that after 'xxxxx' miles running either 100% or 50/50 or similar people where having issues which really required an engine rebuild.

If I had a car I didn't really care about (would throw it away if broke kinda a thing) and wasn't doing a massive mileage then I'd be tempted by veg oil.

But on a vehicle I want to keep - no chance.

If I had a car I didn't really care about (would throw it away if broke kinda a thing) and wasn't doing a massive mileage then I'd be tempted by veg oil.

That's my personal opinion too. Whilst i'd like the saving, I don't want to possibly have to pay for a new FIP etc.

sorry, can't give any sites, I'd read that sitting at a couple of hundred degrees for sustained periods of time started to break down the oil, making it easier to burn.

not sure about this.

as a bulk user of edible cooking oils i tend to get through quite a lot of the stuff. What you find is that over time a very large % of water is mixed in with the oil as foods cook. As you say the oil does brake down, however it probably doesn't break down into particularily useable carbon chains- indeed the use of refined cooking oil is not in itself a "refineable process". i do know that whilst the smoke point of old oil is lower than the smoke piont of new oil, the flash point does not drop quite so much.

I would say that whilst there is a potential for old oil to combust a little easier it is probably ofset by the damping of the water content! although if you could get it to burn you might find it runs cooler with more efficiency due to teh steam- i think i am right in saying that some bigger diesels have water injected into them to improve the power of the engine.

I've read debatable reports on long term durability, that after 'xxxxx' miles running either 100% or 50/50 or similar people where having issues which really required an engine rebuild.

I think there is a lack of concrete long-term evidence on the subject.

I have not seen any concrete evidence of FIP damage by SVO.

I did a survey of members running SVO and diesel, up to 50/50.

Out of about 15 people who responded, no-one reported any engine damage. OK, so that's not many people.

The only negative stuff I've seen in the year or 2 that I've been considering it, is a recent post by someone who changed piston rings in situ (Orange disco avatar, who is that? ) and said, AFAIK that there was some cokeing, as a result of veg oil.

Course there is not only the cost saving, but the eco benefits; Something which us 4x4 drivers are concerned about. (Well, some of us)

how about tax? don't you have to pay like 47p per liter or so? or not if you mix 50/50 with diesel?

Legally to use any form of veguatale oil/bio-deisel as fuel for use on the Queen's highway within the UK then yes you need to declare it and pay the tax.

Legally to use any form of veguatale oil/bio-deisel as fuel for use on the Queen's highway within the UK then yes you need to declare it and pay the tax.

and how do you do that?

There is a lot of rubbish talked about running on Vege oil...

A lot of people will tell you that their mate blew his engine up with it, or some bloke in the pub wrecked his injector pump...

basically if you have a TDi, it has a Bosch injection pump, this pump will run straight new, or waste vege oil.

I ran a 25% mix in my old 300Tdi 110 for the 3 years before i sold it, and have been running the same in my 300Tdi disco... I don't do it when its really cold, and tend to use a fuel additive when i remember... I change the oil every 4,000- 5,000 miles, and do the fuel filter regularly..

i've run it at upto a 50% mix without any detrimental effects, but generally keep it at 20-25%

My annual emissions readings also fell year on year in my old 110, as the vege oil cleans the fuel system out, and burns quite clean..

i'd recommend it to anyone with a TDi...

I have found this folloing forum an excellent site for UVO/SVO/Bio information........

Please take the time to do some indepth research before jumping in feet deep, I've been doin so for about a year and only now am I confident enough to use fuel substitutes, there are many options.

goat industries

Hope that's helpfull.

Nigel.

Has anyone heard about adding white spirits to SVO/WVO to emm, well I'm not sure what it is supposed to do.

Then you let it sit for a while before using it.

Saw a Top Gear program about it on you tube. Will post in the video shack.

yes I've heard of it, but it is not "mentioned" a lot........either it is ilegal or uneconomical!

I can think of only two reason for it......

A. Titration, to convert the veg to a biodiesel.

or

B. to "cut" the veg, change its viscosity.

there are more than likely, better/cheaper methods of both.

maybe someone knows more?

Nigel