Gay oil pump question

Les Henson

I did read somewhere that if you strip and re-build an oil pump, you have to 'prime' it as it can't work straight from dry. Seeing as how the TD engine is partially dismantled I thought it wise to totally strip it right down to the block (well, you have to really). Anyway, I cleaned, stripped, and cleaned again all the components that make up the pump, and was wondering what steps, if any, I have to take when reassembling it in a few minutes!

So hurry-up, what do I have to do?

Les. :D

I thought the Vaseline thing was mainly in respect of older V8 pumps which don't self-prime, but maybe it applies to all?

wouldn't hurt anyway

Must admit I'd never come across it before seeing some of the V8 posts. Equally any engine I've put together (no V8s though) has always primed up fine so I don't think I was wrong. Is this just a V8 thing and if so is it all or just some models as I guess oil pumps have changed over the years?

assembly grease, just not too many people have it laying around :(

vaseline and not other grease/lubricant should be used for v8 oil pump priming. Or just oil if you can keep it in without it flowing out - maybe fill it via one of the take off ports on the pump for temp/pressure senders?

Anyway. back to vaseline, I can't see why this won't hurt in your TDi. If you are able to whizz the oil pump gears round to prime it I would do that. I have a home made tool for the v8 but doubt it will be suitable for you. It is reassuring to to see oil flowing from the rockers once primed and pumping!

When I rebuilt my MGB engine, I don't remember pringin it so different desgins of oil pump may be self priming?

'Normal' oil pumps are trochoidal(sp?) and as long as they don't have lots of wear, they just need to be greased on assembly in order to ensure a good vacuum. Series/90 etc are two meshed gears, so although a more reliable and steady supply of oil by this type of pump, the risk of it remaining dry is more of a possibility.

Why vaseline? couldn't I use HM or LM grease instead, they are more likely to mix with the engine oil I would have thought?

Les. :)

I've only ever heard of this problem on V8's because the oil pump is above the oil fill level.

I think as long as the gears are "wet" with oil or vaseline it will prime, I've always heard that you shouldn't use grease, perhaps because vaseline melts at a much lower temperature whereas grease could solidify and block oilways? Who knows, but if it ain't broke...

If you do need to prime it, this is where having a remote filter is very handy ;) otherwise undo the pressure sender and try to funnel oil into there, beats dismantling the oil pump every time.

On V8s I know you have to, but often its not that clever, as the tapets are empty of oil and the oilwatys empty etc, so I have seen terrified people listening to horrible clanks and rattles on a rebuilt V8 on tickover with oil pressure but with oil having to work about the knocking engine FFS.........

My cunning fix to this is an old dizzy shfat, fitted into some fuel hose which is a loose fit....the end goes onto the oil pump the other end into a drill, then I give the drill some and watch the drill get hotter and hotter and slower and slower as the oil works around the unit.

If you remove the rockers you'll see the oil come up through the rocker shafts etc, then when your wrists are numb and the drill (BIG watt one) is read hot remove and then add dizzy and start, quiet as a mouse from startup...

Nige

If you look at the servicing schedule for a V8, you will notice that the the oil and filter changes alternate. If you try to do both at once you have to prime the pump, not that they actually explain that. I thought it was a bit wierd because on all other engines I've come across you change both at once.