engine swop temp sender

Please can anybody tell me the differance in temp sender switch, i have just swopped over from a 2.5t to a 200tdi engine in my1987 110 all is well but the temp goes nearly into the red on a long tickover, i cannot try it on the road yet and i no longer have the old engine but would the old 2.5t switch cure this thanks Kevin

Like you I've sure my old gauges read hotter with the 200 sender (though not into the red I'm pleased to say)

IIRC the earlier sender had a different thread so I've ended up just living with it but would be interested in others views.

Like you I've sure my old gauges read hotter with the 200 sender (though not into the red I'm pleased to say)

IIRC the earlier sender had a different thread so I've ended up just living with it but would be interested in others views.

Just to add i had the rad recored it has a good flow of water and the thermostat was replaced.

Kevin

I had similar problems when I fitted a 300Tdi to my 2.5TD. In the end I just bought a new guage and matched sender from Racetech.

I tried a number of different senders and none of them worked.

HTH

Ivan

I bought a gas flowed head for my 2,5 NAD from Turner. The sender on this head had the same threads as my newly installed 200 Tdi. And showed what it should on the dash. Maybe you could call them and ask if it's sold separately?

I fitted 200tdi Disco engine to my old 2.5td and as mentioned, the old TD sender would not fit.

Sure enough the tdi sender then meant the gauge was almost off scale at normal running temp.

In the end, a mate who runs a garage did tap a new thread in the thermostat housing and screwed in my old TD sender with a bit of thread lock. No leaks and obviously perfect readings again. It was a little dubious as the size is similar so not sure how the rethreading would work.

Other options were to put TD sender in through top of thermostat housing as a flat depressed area there. Not sure if it would have worked.

Other one people have mentioned is to drill out the centre of the tdi sender so you just end up with the thread and a bit of material then try and screw the TD sender into this. In effect use the tdi thread as a convertor.

Anyway several options available. Hope you find something that works for you.

I fitted 200tdi Disco engine to my old 2.5td and as mentioned, the old TD sender would not fit.

Sure enough the tdi sender then meant the gauge was almost off scale at normal running temp.

In the end, a mate who runs a garage did tap a new thread in the thermostat housing and screwed in my old TD sender with a bit of thread lock. No leaks and obviously perfect readings again. It was a little dubious as the size is similar so not sure how the rethreading would work.

Other options were to put TD sender in through top of thermostat housing as a flat depressed area there. Not sure if it would have worked.

Other one people have mentioned is to drill out the centre of the tdi sender so you just end up with the thread and a bit of material then try and screw the TD sender into this. In effect use the tdi thread as a convertor.

Anyway several options available. Hope you find something that works for you.

So what you are saying is that the sender will more than likely be the cause of my overheating (thanks) i think i will try and cut a new thread. ps has anybody tried a smiths stock sender/gauge package Thanks Kevin

Dan shouldn't that first word be We?

just fit the td sender as DSN says or get a tdi guage or buy new guage and sender that are matched.

i very much doubt the engine is overheating.

Ralph, are there any different part numbers for the temp gauges?

There seem to be a range of sensors (I have a few on the shelf now) but as has been said above the threads are different so its not a quick job to just swap them over to try. If the temp gauge has not changed from early 90 to 200 Defender then messing with sensors probably won't help anyway but different gauges would support the experiences some seem to have with high readings after retro fitting a TDi engine.

Done some part number hunting & found this info hope it helps :D

2.5n/a diesel ---- PRC2505 upto April 1989 with adaptor ERC9432 & Washer 10802070

then PRC6663 from April 1989 with adaptor/washer as above

2.5TD ------------- PRC2505 upto engine 19J25183C then PRC6663 from engine 19J25184C both need adaptor/washer as above

200Tdi [Defender type] ------------- PRC8593

300Tdi -------------------- AMR1425 [green] or AMR3321 [black]

water temp gauge

PRC7311 upto chassis number JA916595

---------- from ---------------- JA916596 to KA928139

AMR2631 from --------------- KA928140

all from my paper parts cat 110 from 1987 onwards [does not inc Td5]

my 110 ex-2.5TD uses PRC7311 [original gauge as bulit in 1989] works fine with the 200Tdi sender PRC8593 :D

Nice one Ralph :D

So if I understand that right the PRC7311 was used up to about 300TDi (so is almost certainly what I have in my '86 90) and the senders (for 2.25, 2.5 and 200s) should all interwork with this gauge.

I have the same setup as you but have always felt it read on the high side. Maybe I should go back to not worrying about it (and get the top hose fixed). Odd that others have had had success correcting high readings by changing the sender unit.

I just put in a 200TDI replacing a 2.5NA and the 200TDI sender works properly with the old gauge. There should not be a difference. The 200TDI retrofit manual says nothing about a need to change the gauge.

Is it a Defender 200TDI or a Disco 200TDI??

Good point. I'm on my second defender engines in mine now :rolleyes: and AFAIK Ralph's is genuine (factory retrofit kit even IIRC).

Yep, spot on there Trev :D

Further Discovery 200Tdi engines have these depending on it's home territory

Gulf states PRC9942 [no colour code]

all other territories PRC8001 [orange] or PRC9917 [green]

:D

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd tag onto the end of this rather than start a new thread - I'm trying to get the right sender & gauge for my 109 - V8 EFi engine and defender gauge. I have a gauge here from an early 110 which is PRC3106 - can anyone shed any light on it?

PRC3106 must be from a 2.25 [aka2.3] litre 90 or 110, can't find it in my 1987 on 110 parts book or EPC, just googled it & found the number described as a water temp gauge for 90/110.

suspect you need the sender for the 2.25 engine in my list above or PRC2506 used in carb V8 in 90/110

hth :D