Fitted the Mayflower winch

Betsy

My other option is to find a belly PTO, but I have seen one once and I am still kicking myself for not buying it!

You've seen one???? Thats more than most people have ever done!!!

I've NEVER seen one period, let alone seen one for sale!!!

As Roger says, it replaces the bottom plate on the transfer box, and gives you a PTO on the bottom. It probably does reduce the ground clearance, but I don't off road my IIA. I like the idea of the winch for all sorts of reasons, but the ground clearance doesn't usually enter the equation.

The one I saw was at Old sod a few years ago. They guy wanted too much money for something I didn't have a use for at the time, but now I wish I had bought it! :(

Mark

As Roger says, it replaces the bottom plate on the transfer box, and gives you a PTO on the bottom. It probably does reduce the ground clearance, but I don't off road my IIA. I like the idea of the winch for all sorts of reasons, but the ground clearance doesn't usually enter the equation.

The one I saw was at Old sod a few years ago. They guy wanted too much money for something I didn't have a use for at the time, but now I wish I had bought it! :(

Mark

Newbie here....

Sorry Jon, you CAN have your winch and your overdrive and your hydraulic chainsaw and cake and eat it too :D ...there were a plethora of pto options right from series 2 days.

The 'belly pto' is referred to by name as ‘Bottom PTO’, ‘Bottom Power Take Off With Mechanical Drive’, Bottom Power Take Off’, or variations of these. It is listed in Landrover/British Leyland part numbers as being a part of assembly ‘RTC 8003’, also used as a sub assembly in kit ‘RTC 8002'

Ground clearance isn't a problem as the case replaces the metal cover to the bottom of the transfer box, making it flat and approx 1 inch from the gearbox crossmember.

I've got an electricity board hydrobollock drum winch on my 2 but find the overdrive much more usefull! With a bottom pto you leave the overdrive in the top pto hole and run the pump from the bottom one........or if you've got a real love for levers and can find all the hen's teeth parts you can do:

Top pto=overdrive,

Bottom pto=chaindrive adapter case to front and rear mech pto shafts,

Front shaft to drive hyd winch pump,

Rear shaft to drive rear pto/crop sprayer/lawnmover/drinks mixer/cake baker etc.

I've only ever seen 5 of these winches (3 in person, 2 broken on ebay, only seen 2 bottom pto's in person) but as they and the bottom pto drive were made originally for the electricity board in early 60's (for very fine control of raising and lowering huge electrical substation units and putting poles up) there's got to be a few knocking around out there! Blanchards had a complete bottom pto kit (and shafts) a couple of years ago for about 500quid or so.

I've been trying to work out if it's commercially viable to do an exact copy of the bottom pto - I've sounded out a pet pattern maker and aluminium caster who both semm interested but the expensive bit is the gear cutting.

Although the pto just replicates the transfer gears above, it because of the helical cut you can't use standard transfer gears! Bearings and seals should all be the same as standard case i think.

If someone out there had a case I could copy it would make the whole project a lot easier, rather than having to take an educated guess at dimension/running centres etc. Also, how many people would actually want one other than me? :huh:

Hope this helps.

Bo

post-3966-1182543423_thumb.jpg

post-3966-1182543439_thumb.jpg

post-3966-1182543474_thumb.jpg

post-3966-1182543508_thumb.jpg

post-3966-1182543536_thumb.jpg

post-3966-1182543560_thumb.jpg

post-3966-1182543778_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

If you have overdrive land rover said you cant fit a bottom pto (hydraulic) as well, I proved them wrong, but its a nightmare of a job had to weld nuts on the end of welding rod to get them into the studs, took me all day IIRC

It was a series 2A 88 with a new chassis, (galvanised), RV8 2a box o/d , 6cyl 1 ton brakes , LR hyd winch , (brilliuant bit of kit)

Sold in the end to Chairman of MLROC (Mansell Ward RIP ) dont know what happened to it after, but I would think its till out there :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Bah...looks nice.

I have decided I am not going to be a serious enough off roader to need a winch. If I need a winch I've been an ass and got myself into somewhere I shouldnt be.

Therefore I am going to remove my Fairley Superwinch and the PTO for it and sell it on ebay or something. Unless someone wants to but it from me here.

Its Not working at the moment. Probably for 2 reason.

1 One of the shafts has come off.. (Simple job, local shaft person will fix it for £50)

2. Not sure. The Drum seems to run free. Looking at the manual there seem to be a spline which might be broken.

PTO Works ok but doenst like not having anything attached to it.

Think I'll get an Overdrive and put in place. With the removal of a ton of metal from the front and an extra 'gear' I might be able to hit the elusive 60 mark.

Diesels ROCK!!

• 5 years later...

Newbie here....

Sorry Jon, you CAN have your winch and your overdrive and your hydraulic chainsaw and cake and eat it too biggrin.gif ...there were a plethora of pto options right from series 2 days.

The 'belly pto' is referred to by name as ‘Bottom PTO’, ‘Bottom Power Take Off With Mechanical Drive’, Bottom Power Take Off’, or variations of these. It is listed in Landrover/British Leyland part numbers as being a part of assembly ‘RTC 8003’, also used as a sub assembly in kit ‘RTC 8002'

Ground clearance isn't a problem as the case replaces the metal cover to the bottom of the transfer box, making it flat and approx 1 inch from the gearbox crossmember.

I've got an electricity board hydrobollock drum winch on my 2 but find the overdrive much more usefull! With a bottom pto you leave the overdrive in the top pto hole and run the pump from the bottom one........or if you've got a real love for levers and can find all the hen's teeth parts you can do:

Top pto=overdrive,

Bottom pto=chaindrive adapter case to front and rear mech pto shafts,

Front shaft to drive hyd winch pump,

Rear shaft to drive rear pto/crop sprayer/lawnmover/drinks mixer/cake baker etc.

I've only ever seen 5 of these winches (3 in person, 2 broken on ebay, only seen 2 bottom pto's in person) but as they and the bottom pto drive were made originally for the electricity board in early 60's (for very fine control of raising and lowering huge electrical substation units and putting poles up) there's got to be a few knocking around out there! Blanchards had a complete bottom pto kit (and shafts) a couple of years ago for about 500quid or so.

I've been trying to work out if it's commercially viable to do an exact copy of the bottom pto - I've sounded out a pet pattern maker and aluminium caster who both semm interested but the expensive bit is the gear cutting.

Although the pto just replicates the transfer gears above, it because of the helical cut you can't use standard transfer gears! Bearings and seals should all be the same as standard case i think.

If someone out there had a case I could copy it would make the whole project a lot easier, rather than having to take an educated guess at dimension/running centres etc. Also, how many people would actually want one other than me? huh.gif

Hope this helps.

Bo

Is the whole Landrover ex electric board or just the winch? HR is a Swidon reg which could suggest Southern Electric if it is.

• 1 year later...

Hi there does any one know what the gear ratio of that winch is? I have been told it is 48:1. I have also been told those winches are hard to break, as I intend to use it for off-roading and I require something that can pull me out and fast. I would like to hear your feedback on this winch .

Regards

The ratio is usually around that figure for the old series PTO winches. I think it will work ok, but slow. you can increase the speed by driving the pump from the crank, but it will still not be flying. By comparison, the milemarker aftermarket hydraulic winches have a 6:1 ratio.

Hope that helps,

Daan