Battery Distribution

SteveG

I want to tidy up my battery box and I also have a positive terminal that is difficult to tighten properly due to position of terminal post clamp. I was thinking of putting in a distribution block for main car feed and ancillary feeds like the compressor. Can anyone suggest a good source for the distribution block and also better quality battery post connectors.

I have two batteries in parallel and I would keep the winch feed going straight to the batteries. So each +ve post will have two connections. One will have Battery +ve link cable and winch and the other will have Battery +ve link cable and feed into distribution block. Here's pic of current set up..

winch002Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve

An alternative would be to use say a big fuse with stud post terminals and put multiple rings on the terminal post. Like what I have done in the pic below to make a distribution box, just with a bigger fuse.

red116.jpg

The black box above is a Mega fuse with 8mm post IIRC, RS do BIG 400A+ fuses with 10mm terminal posts that would do the job, like this....

red108.jpg

Or even just use one side of the fuse holder to give you a remote terminal post away from the battery where you have more room.

I was going to suggest you make your own bus bar. You could then drill it to take as many strong connections as you like.

Les.

I've done that in the past, flattened a piece of annealed copper pipe, drilled for brass nusts & bolts for the connections.

Steve

Halfrauds (Haverhill) do distribution blocks which are quite substantial (I use them), look in the Audio section.

Or as Luke says above, Power Store stock HD blocks/busbars for marine applications. If you ring them ask for Matthew (matthew on here) a keen LR man with a 90 he uses for challenges.

I now have Odyssey batteries fitted (supplied by matthew) a 2250 under the passenger seat and a 2150 under the drivers seat controlled by a voltage sensitive relay and a 4 way marine isolator switch (1 on, 2 on, both on, all off) supplied by matthew.

Both batteries together provide 226 ampheres. The combined CCA is over 2250 and you can deep discharge to 80% without damage!

Why not pop over and have a look.

John

Why not put an eyelet on the end of your acc' battery cable and bolt it onto a mini exhaust mounting like the one in the link below, Then simply take as many feeds off it as you want. The studs are 5/16 unf, Make a braket to put the stud on the opposite side through or simply bolt it through the body work somewhere. The rubber will insulate it. Commonly used in the trade for this sort of thing, Very common on H.G.V's and I think you will find one somewhere in the starter lead around the bulk head area on a range rover classic if I remember correctly. Simple, cheap and easy to get hold of!

Mini exhaust mount