wibbly wobbly speedo

Well it's all fitted & works, upto a point, can't get a reading on the Temp gauge, I know the wires are good as I've done a continuity check from the sender connection right through to the gauge connector block, it's got 12v feed & a good earth too, just doesn't read the engine temp, the sender is good as it operated the old gauge on the drive home from work yesterday.

I can get the gauge to read if I subsitute it for the fuel gauge & if I connect a 12v feed & earth & sender to the correct terminals wire it goes right across beyond the red Hot mark.

wonder if I've got a duff temp gauge :rolleyes:

any ideas Guys Please :(

Guest diesel_jim
when i fitted mine i was loosing the trip reading, but the next day it was fine, so i persumed there is a back up battery in there thats needs to charge up!

Ralph, mine did the same, the speedo head i was playing with on the workbench at work last year kept losing it's trip (and main) milage after about 5 minutes of power-down.

i left it connected to the bench PSU overnight and it seemed to charge the internal battery, as it kept its memory for a month or 2 when it was disconnected from everything.

just checking the RAVE wiring (which i'm sure you've done) and brown/blue should be permanent live, white/green is ign live, and black earth.

Yep, all connected as per & working well, going to refit/slave in the original temp gauge until I can sort thr Td5 temp gauge, as that's not reading from the existing sender, wonder if it needs a resistor same as Mo has fitted to make his temp gauge work.

Ralph, if it goes into the red then you need to add resistance. If it stays at the bottom then there is too much resistance and you'll need to change the sender for one with less.

Regarding the trip reading I can't hold on to it on either speedo that I have here.

Mo

temp gauge isn't moving from the cold/off position, don't know if the Td5 temp sender will fit my engine. might have to get a VDO temp gauge & suitable sender for instead. or maybe a discovery temp sender [200Tdi] would cure it.

im in the proceess of doing this myself done all the gauges but not the speedo. all works ok but the fuel gaugue is wobilling all over the place and wont stay still. just wondering if u might have any ideas on whats causing it.

the Td5 speedo has a damper circuit within it to stop the fuel gauge waving around, it also controls the low fuel light, look back deeper into this thread & you'll find all the info, just fitted a Td5 speedo/fuel & temp gauges today :D

further to the Td5 temp gauge not reading, just run a new wire from sender to gauge = no change still doesn't respond to the sender. slaved in the old gauge [TD/200Tdi] = works as it should shows a reading about 1/4 way up the scale from cold after a drive of 6 miles earlier & running the engine for about 10mins at 1500rpm, I'll refit the old temp gauge tomorrow & then sort out why the Td5 one doesn't read.

I'll have to live with the old gauge for now, can't get another sender till after the bank hols.

Just to update, I've refitted the original temp gauge, connected into the Td5 instrument loom at the connector block meant for the Td5 temp gauge & the original temp gauge reads as it should, checked during a short test drive.

so the wiring is intact & functional as normal, so there's either a mismatch between the 200Tdi temp sender & the Td5 temp gauge [as it doesn't read at all] or the Td5 temp gauge is duff, but it works if substituted for the fuel gauge -- at least it moves & shows a reading.

so either I need the late ROW 300Tdi instrument loom as mentioned in this thread or a Td5 sender to match the gauge or convert to the VDO vision temp gauge & matching sender.

Guest diesel_jim

Looking through the Td5 wiring diagram it looks like the temp guage is actually controlled by the ECU, not directly by the sender unit in the engine. so i suspect the ECU has more of a "digital" than a linear that the old type guage would need.

i reckon the answer would be to fly over to the Falklands and steal BM's temp guage when he's not looking. i suspect the RoW guages are linear.

Possible, Just powered the Td5 gauge [LR part YAD100900] with 12v +ve @ the +ve terminal & -ve @ -ve terminal = nothing with -ve @ the sender terminal the needle flicks right over to full deflection, so the gauge works but not when connected with the engine running in the vehicle.

temp gauge refitted is PRC7311

new one is YAD100900

could the 300Tdi ROW version be AMR2631 from KA928140 to WA159806 ?? Stephen [bogmonster] your help please to confirm

I'd go along with your thnk Jamie, my RAVE says the coolant gauge is operated by the sender via the ECM & the sender also has it's own erth connection via a wire from it's connector.

Just learnt a bit more info from my mate Ade [Earl on here] on his 56 reg Td5 110 with the ignition & all switched off the speedo reading remains visible but unlit. so I've got that bit right :D.

Ah, that's interesting. That would resolve the trip meter trouble.

Mo

I used the 300 Tdi green sender, Ralph but I'm not sure if that's the same thread on a 200.

Mo

Bought a Green AMR1425 300Tdi temp sender & jury rigged it into the electrics, using the Td5 temp gauge, as I'd just driven from my LR parts supplier to home the engine/coolant was still hot enough to show a reading on the Td5 temp gauge using the green sender connected to the vehicles original wiring & earthed to the block with one of my jump leads, the working end of the sender was dunked in some coolant I'd syringed from the header tank, Td5 gauge showed a reading,just about 2mm above the left white line on the gauge face, almost in the same place as the original 200Tdi gauge was showing, Happy bunny now as I proved it works, next job is to obtain another 200Tdi sender & modify it like this as Marco has done --- temp sender conversion to adaptor

bit of additional info, also bought the Td5 temp sender ERR2081 slaved this in with the Td5 temp gauge & when ign is on & the sender was in the coolant , the gauge just jumped right across to full deflection aka Hot reading, so the Td5 sender is no good on the 200Tdi engine, so I've scrapped that idea.

now have a Td5 temp sender ERR2081 brand new looking for a new home, PM me for more info.

Got another Defender 200Tdi temp sender today, so at work tomorrow, I'll chop it up to make a adaptor & then visit the machine shop & see if they can match the 300Tdi sender thread & then cut a new internal thread in the ex-200Tdi sender, similar idea to the thread link above.

update on the temp gauge/green sender, made a adaptor for the green sender from a 200TDi sender, as per the link I posted earlier in this thread, that fits & works well, fitted the Td5 temp gauge,went for a drive & it goes upto but not in the red area, so back home, refit the original gauge & sender, going to try the Black sender on Friday as thats the earliest I can get one. obviously more info to come.

Mo. where did you get the resistor from & which type resistor did you use ? might have to do the same if the black sender doesn't work.

300 black sender won't work Ralph, save yourself the work :) I used 55 ohms of resistance to get it to read right, which I got from maplins. You may need to add resistance or reduce it to fine tune the needle position.

I had pms with another chap on this forum who asked about and had success with 55 ohms resistance to get his gauge to read right. :D

HTH

Mo

Hi Mo, cheers for the info, I won't bother with that plan then :rolleyes: looks like a 55ohm resistor will be fitted when I can get my hands on one.:i-m_so_happy:

speedo working fine :D & fitted the fuel gauge this evening, see what it does on the way to work omorrow, seems to be reading OK though :D