wibbly wobbly speedo

I've obtained a TD5 dash and wiring loom as the mileometer packed up on my original speedo. It also came with an analogue time clock which I was going to replace the non functioning military FFR charging meter in the centre panel.

Only problem is I cant figure how to adjust the time on it-there's no external way of doing it. The cable has a red, black, and purple wire going to it. Is it capable of running as a standalone unit-or is the time controlled from the TD5 ecu?

edited to add that I've just found out that its by the two tiny little buttons on the bezel !

you can relocate the time clock BUT it must be connected to it's plug on the instrument loom, nothing to stop you cutting the plug of & extending the 3 wires as required to fit the clock where you want it.

Ok gents, I have my speedo, transducer, 3 pin plug ordered for the transducer.

One question is-does anyone know what transducer pulse count=mileage displayed?

Reason being is that I've got a Siemens LOGO PLC/logic relay set up to generate a required number of pulse outputs so I can alter my mileometer reading to my trucks current mileage. I've not yet powered up my speedo though to find out-I was just wondering if anyone else knew first before I subjected this poor PLC's relay output to a battering.

the black/red wire is the signal to the speedo, the other 2 wires are 12v feed & earth, no idea if your plan will work. I ran my speedo/transducer for a few hours to increase the reading using my electric drill, but as for decreasing or returning the mileage to zero, I don't know how it's done, that's why I sent mine away to be reset to what I required.

the black/red wire is the signal to the speedo, the other 2 wires are 12v feed & earth, no idea if your plan will work. I ran my speedo/transducer for a few hours to increase the reading using my electric drill, but as for decreasing or returning the mileage to zero, I don't know how it's done, that's why I sent mine away to be reset to what I required.

Cheers Western

I've had a good shufty through this thread and noticed its gotten pretty techy and was wondering if anyone had figured out the pulse count. It would a digital alternative to increasing the reading with the drill as you did. I need to get mine to 45,360 miles. If the pulse count was 1 pulse (or revolution of the transducer ) equaled 1 mile( for arguements sake) then I'd tell my PLC to send a 10milisecond pulse to its output which would be connected to the speedo instead of the transducer. If my new speedo read 25,360 when 1st powered up then my PLC would need to send 20,000 pulses. You could leave it runing for awhile and come back when its finished without it overshooting.

Not sure what Im going to do if my speedo is memory retentive and is showing more than 46k miles when I power it up.

Han't much else to do at work at the moment!

• 1 month later...
Fuel guage works fine Callum :i-m_so_happy:

I paid a bit extra on ebay for a module with the plugs and 2" of wire from each, money well spent :)

Enjoy your undersealing :(

Mo

Does anyone know if the Low Fuel warning on the Td5 Speedo works without a Fuel Gauge connected? It's just that I would like to have either the Low Fuel Light let me know when my LPG is Low (as I don't have an LPG level gauge) and retain the Standard Fuel Guage for Petrol or the other way around (if I can calibrate the existing Gauge to work with my LPG, something I've been threatening to do for years).

Cheers,

Colin.

AFAIK, the Td5 low fuel light takes it's signal from the in tank sender unit & then it is passed through the speedo head which has a internal damoing circuit [to stop the fuel gauge needle & light moving around like demented thing] this circuit also controls the low fuel light in the warning light cluster, on mine because I've kept the original warning light cluster, I've left the low fuel light as it was, I tried it through the speedo & it would work with the normal bulb type warning light, should be fine if/when I change to the Td5 warning light cluster.

Colin,

The low fuel light works from the signal from the tank (but separately from the gauge) but using the level signal rather than the old light on bit of the sender. IIRC it is wired internally so I don't think you can do what you want to as the gauge and light use the same signal..

Sorry

Quick edit to say that having just checked the wiring diagram, it won't work. You could, however, snip the white/orange trace wire going to the warning lamp and use it for your lpg tank if your sender is capable of switching a low level light but you'd need to have it switching an earth to the w/o wire.

Hope that helps

Mo

AFAIK, the Td5 low fuel light takes it's signal from the in tank sender unit & then it is passed through the speedo head which has a internal damoing circuit [to stop the fuel gauge needle & light moving around like demented thing] this circuit also controls the low fuel light in the warning light cluster, on mine because I've kept the original warning light cluster, I've left the low fuel light as it was, I tried it through the speedo & it would work with the normal bulb type warning light, should be fine if/when I change to the Td5 warning light cluster.

Sorry (I'm probably being think) but are you saying 'Yes I don't need a Fuel Guage and can just use a Low Fuel Light' or 'No I need a Guage' or 'You don't know for sure'.

If I can run it without a guage then I would probably be best making use of the dampening circuit for the 'Low LPG' warning light as the LPG sloshes about a hell of a lot (and I've got used to the Petrol guage waving about). It will just be a bit hit & miss what the Low LPG level actually equates to, but I can probably adjust it with a few suitable resistors.

Colin

Sorry (I'm probably being think) but are you saying 'Yes I don't need a Fuel Guage and can just use a Low Fuel Light' or 'No I need a Guage' or 'You don't know for sure'.

If I can run it without a guage then I would probably be best making use of the dampening circuit for the 'Low LPG' warning light as the LPG sloshes about a hell of a lot (and I've got used to the Petrol guage waving about). It will just be a bit hit & miss what the Low LPG level actually equates to, but I can probably adjust it with a few suitable resistors.

Colin

I don't know for the proposed use you want it for, my reply above is what I found on my 110 with the Td5 speedo/wiring.

Colin,

The low fuel light works from the signal from the tank (but separately from the gauge) but using the level signal rather than the old light on bit of the sender. IIRC it is wired internally so I don't think you can do what you want to as the gauge and light use the same signal..

Sorry

Quick edit to say that having just checked the wiring diagram, it won't work.

Mo

OK, I think I'm getting more & more confused now (perhaps it's just getting too late in the day and my brain has started to shut down for the day).

I'll see if I can ask some simple questions for which even I can understand the answer :blink:

Do I need a Guage of some sort for the Low Fuel Light output generated by the Speedo to work?

If I need a Guage Do you think I could simulate a Guage by using a suitable Resistor instead?

Sorry if I'm being too thick.

Colin.

1. Do I need a Guage of some sort for the Low Fuel Light output generated by the Speedo to work?

2. If I need a Guage Do you think I could simulate a Guage by using a suitable Resistor instead?

1. no, low fuel light is controlled by the speedo head & works independent of the gauge

2. don't know

I don't know for the proposed use you want it for, my reply above is what I found on my 110 with the Td5 speedo/wiring.

OK, thanks.

Perhaps when I'm feeling brave (and can justify the expense) I will get a Speedo and have a little play around with it to see if I can get it to do what I want.

I think I will go back to just reading the Forums for the rest of the day :unsure:

Cheers,

Colin.

Colin,

Do I need a Guage of some sort for the Low Fuel Light output generated by the Speedo to work?

It's been a couple of summers since I did mine so my memory is a bit rusty :( However IIRC, the low level light is switched by the damping circuitry and as such would not need the gauge for it to work. How well it would work with your sender on your LPG tank would be a matter for experimentation :)

The point I was trying (rather badly ;) ) to make in the earlier post above is that you couldn't run the sender signals from 2 tanks through one damping circuit :)

However, there are several unused lights on the TD5 cluster, why not use the damped gauge and warning lamp for one tank and one of the other unused lamps as a low level warning for the other ?

Perhaps that clarifys things :D

Mo

Colin,

It's been a couple of summers since I did mine so my memory is a bit rusty :( However IIRC, the low level light is switched by the damping circuitry and as such would not need the gauge for it to work. How well it would work with your sender on your LPG tank would be a matter for experimentation :)

The point I was trying (rather badly ;) ) to make in the earlier post above is that you couldn't run the sender signals from 2 tanks through one damping circuit :)

However, there are several unused lights on the TD5 cluster, why not use the damped gauge and warning lamp for one tank and one of the other unused lamps as a low level warning for the other ?

Perhaps that clarifys things :D

Mo

Thanks Mo & Western,

I think we've got there in the end.

I certainly think from what you've both said there is definitely potential there for it to do exactly what I want (perhaps with a few resistors to tweak my LPG sender output). I'm not too concerned what the actual Low Level indicates (litre wise) so long as I know roughly what it is and it's not something ridiulous like 60litres (but I could always invert it to something useful if need be).

That's something to think about anyway and gives me another excuse to get a Td5 speedo ;)

Cheers,

Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

A big thanks to all who have contributed to this thread! I have finally installed mine, complete with the warning lamp panel and am very pleased with the results. As many have said here, it is well worth doing. Cheers.