wibbly wobbly speedo

so moving one step on, if i wanted to use the whole dash surround are the feeds for the dash lights the same polarity on tdis as TD5s?

ie i know the td5 ones are:

low fuel - negative feed

brake fluid -ve

Main beam - +ve

Indicator - +ve

Side lights - +ve

Trailer - +ve

Fog - +ve

Glow plugs - -ve

Oil Pressue - -ve

Alternator - -ve

Hazard - +ve

i know which pin controls each of these and can therefore work out the wire colour but will plugging them in straight to the existing wires that feed the current dash make them work the correct way around? ie do they have the same feeds.

I know i would need to sort L and R indicators.

I can add the connector diagrams for these too. can't see why they shouldn't work if just joined to existing wiring, IIRC thats all Mo has done.

James, the warning lights are pretty simple, just connect them up. I just used a TD5 wiring diagram and the original wiring diagram to match each wire to it's new partner. Although the old light block has only one direction indicator light, it has both l and r wires going to it and these will go to each separate indicator warning light on the new light block.

HTH

Mo

Excellent, thanks Mo, looks like something else to add to the list to do in Nov then! Walfy - your wiring is as good as mine so thats us goosed then!

With luck will get the bulkhead out this coming week after the DRD

all depends on lifting the cage....

• 4 weeks later...

hi

can anyone help?

ive fitted a 3.9 auto into an 1986 90 and fitted a electronic dash.

every thing works ok and it passed the mot last week.

but the temp gauge is reading very hot when the rads cool

can anyone tell me what tenp sender i need to fit or what size resistors i need

to get the gauge right

many thanks terry

right then

changes are afoot - chassis and bulkhead for starters!

anyway

wired in the td5 dash wng lights, speedo, temp and fuel gauges.

wng lights all seem ok to date

but a couple of problems

Fuel gauge: moves up slowly when the ign it turned on but shows empty and there's some in it (15L) (refitting the original gauge to the td5 loom shows same) i am suspecting the sender in the tank is stuck or similar so will look tomorrow. (tank was dropped for chassis change) but mentioned this as it may impact the temp gauge. what should be coming out of the feed wire from the tank? i presume a reading between 0-12V that the guage then converts on the scale?

Temp Gauge: doesnt move at all when ign comes on or when engine starts to warm. refitting the old gauge and the needle moves as expected when ign comes on and then moves to show engine temp. its a 02MY guage on a 300tdi sender. - i guess wrong sender? but would the td5 temp gauge not move off the bottom when its powered up? it works on the same wiring using the old gauge.

could the two faults above be linked?

Glow Plugs: on the old style dash there is a dedicated bulb at the end of the dash wng lights with two wire connectors. now the black and yellow wire i have taken off and connected to the appropriate td5 dash wire. what do i do with the old small white wire.

In addition to that the two large white wires that come off the glow plug timer loom in the engine bay and go into the dash area come to one spade terminal - this is not connected. I cant remember where it came off! any ideas please?

Glow plus are not currently working on Pos II but the TD5 glow plug wng sign does come on the instant the key is turned to start the vehicle - i guess i have something very wrong in there!

edited to add - i have found that the two white wires go to terminal 3 on the ign, so that just leaves the question of what happens with the little white wire?

WOO HOO :D Successfully sorted.

I now have fully functional Td5 speedo/fuel & water temp gauges in my dash.

I've kept the original 1989 warning light display. [but might change to the Td5 type at a later date]

Got it sorted with the Td5 temp gauge [LR part YAD100900] & the 300Tdi Rest of World instrument loom [LR part YMG109260] & a Green temp sender [LR part AMR1425 for a 300Tdi]

Mo/Ralph/Jamie

could do with a hand here if anyone has a minute.

Have just reread all the posts trying to make head or tail of it and still struggling.

Temp gauge:

i have tried the td5 connected straight to the sender and it doesn't move, so before i rush off and buy AMR1425 (green 300tdi sender) will that work with my td5 gauge (normal UK one) with the sender wire just connected straight in, ie without it going through the odometer?

Fuel gauge:

Doesnt work at all - get nothing showing on it with the wire connected straight to from the unit to the tank or with it connected through the odometer again.

Speedo:

Lastly still not working. i have checked the wires into the plug which i believe are the correct way around (Ralph the picture you show of the transducer and the wire colours etc if i read it right is for the female plug on the back of the transducer therefore purple closest to the T box? or is it the plug on the end of the wire?) i have 12v to the transducer, and its earthed and the sender wire goes to the correct wire on the back of the odometer. Odometer is powered up and shows mileage etc but no speed is recorded and mileage not increasing.

thank you in advance for any guidance.

edited to add on a plus side all the wng lights work as do the glow plugs now! (plus even the hazard switch - cheers for confirming Jamie)

James,

It won't move at all. The signal from the sender needs to be modified and you can't go straight from temp sender to gauge. It needs to go via the speedo (see earlier posts about relocating the wire on the speedo plug) or via about 55 ohms worth of resistors.

Take the fuel sender wire through the speedo, it has a damping circuit that will stop the needle position changing every time you go up or down a hill or on a side slope. Yours isn't working perhaps because your sender is duff.

Regarding the speedo, sounds like you are not wired up correctly in the transducer department, James. The earth should be in the centre terminal with the 12v supply and the signal on the outer 2 terminals. So you may need to reverse them. The diagram above in an earlier post is for the plug m8.

All good clean fun, what ?

Mo

Cheers Mo.

Temp guage though from what i read said either use the resistor as you did or ROW harness as Ralph did - i didn't spot the bit about swapping the wires around on the back of the speedo will have to reread it and see what you mean.

Fuel gauge - when that goes through the speedo i get nothing at all, even with the old one wired in. with the old one wired in direct it works.

Speedo transducer - when you say plug is that female plug on the back of the transducer or male plug on the end of the wires?

• 1 month later...

been following this to help me put in my TD5 dash. got it all set up on the work bench and spun transducer with fingers and speedo moves:), lights light up clock ticks, fuel gauge flickers when powered up. i have trouble with the warning lights cannot get my head around it, so took it out and since i want the fan and temp lever lights i made my old warning lights to fit the TD5 dash at the end of the day it saves cutting and splicing more wires. so to make it look a little more like a TD5 warning lights a put a light smoked tint film over them looks good and not too bright. so now to fit it all. thanks for all the help guy :)

hi peeps, all fitted yesterday . i have to say the wiring in the dash is a real mess no order at all. fitting dash was easier than i thought, when you have a voltmeter you can find switched lives and live wires with ease.

when fitting the fuel gauge i fitted both wires to the new wires from the td5 dash and nothing happen so undone the 2 and went to change them around and as soon as i fitted the first wire fuel gauge registered. so the earth from the fuel gauge is not connected but it still works :blink: i'll see now if the fuel level drops after driving it a bit.

add the 2 extra wires to the speedo head (as edd quoted) for the temp gauge setup and then went to fit the 300tdi sender in it 200tdi adaptor. but i could not change it one i don't have a 20m/m spanner or socket ( i do now) and there is a small but thick water pipe in the way, so i left it. but it did not work. mine was a tdi 200 sender with a white coloured cap and my engine is a disco. the 200tdi sender i brought to make into the adaptor had an orange cap but did not check to see if that worked. but anyway the modded sender works :).

but want was a pain was fitting the tranducer not much room there to line things up. plus the transmission brake cable was in the way as well battery died on my torch so i was working blind for a bit. anyway got it fitted and works a dream. just going to take getting use to the speedo not bouncing around everywhere :) i'll post some pics up soon. marty

hi,i have just finish fitting this dash and also a 3 speed heater fan switch,here is my write up hope it helps

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=134876

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=134977

the 2 links don't work, they come uo with a

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /showthread.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.8 Server at forum.landrovernet.com Port 80

even just adding www. in front of the forum.****************************** & pasting into a new page or tab just brings up a login page

http://www.forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=134977

Hi have just fitted the electric speedo and tranducer and clocks from a td5 into my tdi 200 defender.

Here is a a little write up.

I labelled all the wires first with little tags to make the job easy saves going back to the wiring diagram.

Most wire are the same colour from both vehicle,which makes it alot easier.

There are extra wires like abs, traction control, immobilizer,engine warning lamps red and orange that i did not need .

The red lamp for the alarm i used as a warning for the door not closed correctly as this was a simple connection.

I also moved the vaccum gauge and kept the time clock but this may change later .

HELP FROM http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14892&st=0

A FEW NOTES I MADE BELOW.

TD5 TDI 200

indercator right ( green/white) same positive feed

indercator left ( green/red ) same positive feed

trailer ( green/purple) same positive feed

sidelamps ( red black ) same positive feed

diff lock ( black/blue ) same earth feed

main beam ( blue/orange ) blue positive feed

fog lamp ( red/yellow ) same positive feed

oil lamp (white/brown ) same

glow plugs (yellow/black) same

ignition lamp (brown/yellow) same

heated screen (white/black)

brake fluid (black/white) same

earth (black )

THESE ARE FOR THE SMALL INDERCATOR WARNING LAMPS .

OTHER WIRES NOT NEEDED

ABS/ TRACTION CONTROL CONNECT THESE TO BLACK/WHITE WIRE (BRAKE FLUID WIRE) OR THEY WILL REMAIN ILLUMINATED.

WIRES COMING FROM MAIN LOOM ON BACK OF SPEEDO

PURPLE/BROWN CONSTANT LIVE

WHITE GREEN IGNITION LIVE

BLACK WIRES BLACK/SLATE GREY EARTH

RED /ORANGE SIDE LAMPS

RED/BLACK PIN 3 OF SPEEDO TRANDUCER

PIN 1 BLUE/GREEN OF SPEEDO TRANDUCER LIVE

PIN 2 YELLOW/GREEN OF SPEEDO TRANDUCER EARTH

PIN 3 BLACK WIRE OF SPEEDO TRANDUCER CONNECTS TO RED/BLACK ON SPEEDO HEAD

THE WIRES ON THE FUEL GAUGE AND TEMP. GAUGE ARE YET AGAIN SAME COLOURS ON TD5 AS TDI.

TOTAL FIT SIME AROUND 4.5 HOURS

i think you had to be signed in to read my post so have tried this

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be doing mine sometime in the future too, but i'm now going to build a 110 station wagon (out of parts of my 90....) so will incorporate the speedo and other Td5 mods into it (it's going to be a 2.8 Tdi eventually.. :rolleyes: )

just like to say,many thanks for your help,i now understand whats going on with my speedo,

have to say this is a brill site and the info is second to none,thanks again,mark.