wibbly wobbly speedo

Well I added a handbrake switch and wired it to the warning lamp. It works, but the TC (traction control) lamp comes on as well. I can't seem to figure out how to make the handbrake warning lamp function without the tc wire connected to it. Any tips?

have a look at the wiring diagram link in reply 196 on page 8 of this thread, in the wiring diagram on page 78 section 47, it shows a loop of black/white wire that's marked for non-abs, the single black/white wire is marked abs, so maybe you need the non-abs wire to stop the TC light coming on when the handbrake is on.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, if you read Edd's post on page 5 of this thread, you'll see that you don't need to go down the resister route any more as the speedo head has one built in and it's just a matter of swapping wires on the plug to get the correct reading.

HTH

Mo

• 4 weeks later...
have a look at the wiring diagram link in reply 196 on page 8 of this thread, in the wiring diagram on page 78 section 47, it shows a loop of black/white wire that's marked for non-abs, the single black/white wire is marked abs, so maybe you need the non-abs wire to stop the TC light coming on when the handbrake is on.
Western, that makes sense. I'll have a look. Thank you.

did the above work or not ?

been fitting the warning light pack today onto my 1989 110, got most of the lights working, but have a problem with these

glow plug light seems to go out extremely fast even before the timer click can be heard

park brake light stays on dim when brake is off & engine is running. [got some wires to adjust tomorrow, so that may cure this one]

low fuel light is staying dimly lit when engine is running [might just reconnect the low level wire from the tank & see if that cures this one]

I want to use the top left amber engine fault light for the winch power on reminder.

any ideas Chaps ?????

JST --- Glow Plugs: on the old style dash there is a dedicated bulb at the end of the dash wng lights with two wire connectors. now the black and yellow wire i have taken off and connected to the appropriate td5 dash wire. what do i do with the old small white wire.

what did you do with the wire above ????

Mo or any one else ???

glow plug light

now got it to come on full brightness, but it won't go out when engine started/timer shuts off any ideas ???

hand brake /low fluid level light :D working as a handbrake light & as the low fluid level so sorted.

I've reconnected the orginal wire from the low fuel part of the tank sender & see if that works, least the low fuel light is fully out now, rather than dimly lit. so going to leave it like that.

I want to use the top left amber engine fault light for the winch power on reminder.

haven't sussed this one yet.

Edited by western

any thoughts on the above problem, I want to get the glow plug light working as soon as possible & have the amber engine light for the winch power on,

hopefully get both sorted in the next few days while I'm on hols from work.

Is the power for the winch run through an isolator?

If so it should be as simple as running a live from the isolator output to the dash light?

If the isolator is on, the lamp is powered?

Simple as this or not?

Is the power for the winch run through an isolator?

If so it should be as simple as running a live from the isolator output to the dash light?

If the isolator is on, the lamp is powered?

Simple as this or not?

Yes, the winch is via a big isolator switch & the power on light comes off the output terminal of the isolator, it worked OK on the old bulb warning light panel, but I can't get the LED on the Td5 warning light panel to light up when the isolator is switched on to power the winch.

Western, my glow plug warning lamp goes out about 3 seconds before I hear the relay time out as well. Haven't worked on the parking brake lamp / TC lamp issue yet.

what year/model of vehicle & which glow plug wire did you connect to the Td5 glow plug warning light panel ??

I can get mine to come on, but it won't go out after the glow plugs are heated by the timer relay.

for the handbrake light & low fuild level, I did this & refer back further for the plug/cavity idents

cut the black/white loop on plug C0230, tape up securely wire at 13

join wire at 9 to 14 & to existing handbrake yellow/white & existing low fluid level black/white

this will/should light the brake icon when handbrake is on & ignition is on & when the low fluid level drops with handbrake off/ignition on will/should light the same icon.

mine doesn't have the traction control wire fitted so can't advise on that.

hth :D

Mo or any one else ???

glow plug light

now got it to come on full brightness, but it won't go out when engine started/timer shuts off any ideas ???

hand brake /low fluid level light :D working as a handbrake light & as the low fluid level so sorted.

I've reconnected the orginal wire from the low fuel part of the tank sender & see if that works, least the low fuel light is fully out now, rather than dimly lit. so going to leave it like that.

haven't sussed this one yet.

Had more success today, found out why the glow plug warning light wasn't working properly, ---- duff glow plug timer relay, fitted a new one & the warning light goes off as it should do before the engine is started. so happy with that. :i-m_so_happy:

still got the dim low fuel light if I conect it via the speedo, so decided to leave it wired fom the tank unit to the warning light & leaving the speedo circuit out of the loop, gauge doesn't wander like it used too.

still figuring out the amber check engine/winch power on light.

Ralph - just seen this

glad glow plugs are sorted now - i cant remember where the small white wire went - earth?

fuel - i had the same issue with the low fuel light so in the end i wired it straight to the tank sender and removed the bit through the speedo it then worked fine but not damped, reconnected it again to get the damper to work but didnt connect the low fuel light. Low fuel is pin 20-3 so you can disconnect it there.

the amber check light is (pin 11 of 20) on the multiplug has a negative feed so setup a relay to switch the winch wiring signal to -ve ie when the winch comes on it energies the relay which makes an earth across the other terminals which you can connect to pin 20-11 and the light will come on.

if you want a +ve feed wng light then use water filter (16-4) or heated screen (20-8)

Hope this helps

Superb, thanks for the -ve switching relay info ,that helps a lot, got some spare 4 & 5 pin relays in the garage. :i-m_so_happy:

as my 110 is a CSW I'm already using the rear screen heater light for it's original use.

toying with the idea of using the water in fuel light either as a low coolant level or low washer fluid level warning. but that's for another day.

the small white from the old glowplug light was/is a ignition controlled feed so I connected it into the 12v feed wires on the warning light plug C0233. seems to be fine.

more success today, with JST & Earl's assistance, Cheers Guys :D

I now have the top left amber engine management light as my winch power on light, used a standard 12v 30amp 4 terminal relay, wired like this.

wire from winch isolator on side to relay terminal 86

wire from dash warning light to terminal 87

terminals 30 & 85 to earth

so with ignition on & engine running the winch isolator switched on, the amber engine light is lit, so :i-m_so_happy:

beem fiddling with the warning lights wiring again, :rolleyes:

found the handbrake/low fluid light was either very dim [hardly see it was lit] or not on at all. so took the handbrake switch lead out of the joint, resoldered so the low fluid switch & PDWA switch are on their own red waning light. also wondring if the resistor within the warning light panel is causing the dim/no light problem, might have another play tomorrow to see if I can get it brighter.

with the ignition on & handbrake on & the dash end of the white/yellow wire touched to the 2 red/slate wires that are joined together, it puts the Amber ABS light on & when the handbrake is released the ABS light goes off. :D

so have a independent handbrake on light

so what does ABS mean = 'And Brake Stupid :rofl:

so all in another successful day :i-m_so_happy:

it's almost done now, been having lots of fun with it.

going to try taking the black/white wire that got the resistor inside the cluster out of the circuit & see if that resolves the dim light problem,

had the brake light working at a decent brightness on friday, but moved connections since.

Having fun then, Ralph :D If you want another light cluster to try to resolve the dim light, I have a spare here that you can have FOC. :)

Mo

Yes please, sent a PM with my address.

least I can try to prove the wiring/possible duff leds in mine.

one more question, on yours when you start up [engine cranking] does the brake fail light come on as a check then go out, reason is mine doesn't, I've continuity checkedall the wires to the dash & relay & all is OK, but don't get the light on during start as above. tried another relay too, but no different.

• 2 weeks later...
one more question, on yours when you start up [engine cranking] does the brake fail light come on as a check then go out, reason is mine doesn't, I've continuity checkedall the wires to the dash & relay & all is OK, but don't get the light on during start as above. tried another relay too, but no different.

anyone got a answer for me ref above ^^^^^

Im just building up the parts to do this conversion and have found the information here very useful 2 quick question, i have 35" tyres does anyone have a part no for a speedo gear to correct the speedo reading? Does anyone have a website where i can get the transducer from?

thanks in advance

Im just building up the parts to do this conversion and have found the information here very useful 2 quick question, i have 35" tyres does anyone have a part no for a speedo gear to correct the speedo reading? Does anyone have a website where i can get the transducer from?

thanks in advance

I got mine here.

Do not waste your time like I did with the OEM part, it's absolutely nothing like OEM quality, more like Britpart quality in fact! For the extra £3 go genuine!

The supplier was quite happy to take the part back and send me a genuine one so hats off to them for that. Hoping to get this setup fitted in the next week or two :)

Can't help you with the gearing issue I'm afraid.