Colway tyres

Stewart

Had a set of 205/16's on the RR for about a year now (and about 10k miles) and IMHO they're a bargain, like you say a copy of the BFG pattern but half the price. Good on the road / towing and surprised me off-road how far they'll get a stock RR.

Dad has a set of 235/70 MT's on his RR and they've stood up well too.

Yeah the MT's are not really a good idea if you want to drive on-road much, they are noisy and "interesting" at any sort of speed but they are still good VFM for "play" trucks.

The AT's are much better, even than the road set of tyres that were on the RR before.

Yeah the MT's are not really a good idea if you want to drive on-road much, they are noisy and "interesting" at any sort of speed but they are still good VFM for "play" trucks.

The AT's are much better, even than the road set of tyres that were on the RR before.

See, now that's not my experience of them...

I'd agree the MT's are noisy, but road handling wasn't bad at all IMHO. I used to run a set of SATs on the 110 - they were a pig on anything but dry tarmac. The Colways have never given me any grief at all. I was running them as daily drivers for a while but being an MT they don't wear well on tarmac, so I've got a second set of rims which I use as road tyres.

Off road, they're pretty good. I run a set of 265/75, which, if anything aren't tall enough for a 110 - I need a little more clearance under the rear diff - I suspect a 235 would have been better. I do agree that the BFGs are a cracking tyre (I've got a set of Trac Edge as well!), but they are far more expensive... Overall, for the price I would say the Colways were hard to beat.

Matt

Agreed - but I think a lot might depend on the type of tyre carcass which is 'inside' the retreads. I've got some 235/85 MTs on my RRC. They're fine off road, and I've no complaints about their road behaviour; they're wearing well, reasonably grippy and behave predictably when cornering, although the speed has to be kept to about 60-65 on the motorway to avoid vibrations because they're so out of balance. They're noisy enough that pedestrians occasionally turn round to see what's making all the racket, but closing the window shuts a lot of that out.

I'd agree the MT's are noisy, but road handling wasn't bad at all IMHO. I used to run a set of SATs on the 110 - they were a pig on anything but dry tarmac. The Colways have never given me any grief at all. I was running them as daily drivers for a while but being an MT they don't wear well on tarmac, so I've got a second set of rims which I use as road tyres.

Off road, they're pretty good. I run a set of 265/75, which, if anything aren't tall enough for a 110 - I need a little more clearance under the rear diff - I suspect a 235 would have been better. I do agree that the BFGs are a cracking tyre (I've got a set of Trac Edge as well!), but they are far more expensive... Overall, for the price I would say the Colways were hard to beat.

Matt

Definately

and it's less annoying if you damage one on a rock or similar when off road.

Can be fun having them balanced due to them being retreads - loads of balancing weights, but all in am very happy, and I run them on and off road all the time. I do sometimes run a set of ATs on road due to the wear though.

To say they are better than sat's is not saying much, most agri tyres are on a par with sat's.

I've put 22K on my goody muds and they're not even half worn.

I found colway MTs to be fine on road, any MT is gonn be noisy by nature. but John did tell me he thought grizzlies were the loudest thing on the go when i said his kettle drums were the loudest thig i had ever heard on road but my grizzly's didnt seem so bad to me? colways were OK in the goo but i found them not so good at climbing out of ruts and switched to Diamond backs. i am sure you can get these for LR size as friend has them on his 90 thing. and in my opinion much better than COlways at self cleaning and going more places, even road manners are better

colways are cool.

Got A/T's on the 110. done 10k on them (nearly 4k in the last 2 weeks in Pyrenees). Better than range masters (no surprise) and not too dissimilar to the Trac edge in use on roads, but better than them in the mud. Spot on for roads & lanes. No problem in the wet on tarmac either ....unlike some remoulds.

Jas

Running Greenway Macho's(colways basically) and they are fine on and offroad, plenty of grip onroad and go everywere off but they are directional. I must say tho i have seen a set of bfg mt's last over 50k with just road use

Running Greenway Macho's(colways basically) and they are fine on and offroad, plenty of grip onroad and go everywere off but they are directional. I must say tho i have seen a set of bfg mt's last over 50k with just road use

i'm running on machos, my mate has the same tread but by a different manufacturer, (allegedly, he paid £10 per tyre more?), we both agree that they are fine both on and off road. Yes they are directional but the pattern ensures theres always plenty of contact with the road which makes them handle quite well.

I'd certainly recommend them, bought mine off e-bay for £215 for 4 tyres delivered, was well pleased with that, fitted tyres to rims myself as i have access to a machine but didn't even bother to attempt balancing and dont have too much vibration, mind you, i realise the disco isn't a ferrarri!! The treads always clear really quick when off road, you can hear the mud pounding the underside when you hit the tarmac.

my SAT's where fantastic tyres... you just needed to be able to predict what the Lr's gona do on them.. once you have sussed out how far you can push them.

back to main topic - I have a set of 205/75/16's I think AT range.. not problem had with them.. not bad pieces of tyre - however I only bought them to sell the motor with - just to make it look nice. I would always (funds allowing) by the new tyre as opposed to remould. but thats just me being me.

ooooo/.... now wheres that gas axes and grinder gone....

found them....

:lol:

but first I need to fix the tumble dryer.. ruddy thing

And thank god there only one of you..... :lol:

Oh...I take that back :unsure:

My trucks your way now ! :blink:

my wifes disco had a set of collie A/T's and did about 20k road miles on them and they were just over half worn when we sold it.

excellent tyre and only needed approx 20gms balance weight on each to balance up perfectly. Even fully loaded and with caravan hitched up, they still handled well.

Offroad, well not much difference between the BFG and collies - both clag up terribly in clay sticky conditions, but superb on gravel, grass and ice/snow.

we got them in 235/75/16 for £33 a corner from sowden tyres!!!