Show use your garage/ work shop

have it wide enough to work at the side of a veichle nothing worst than being cramped againest a wall

I agree wholeheartedly. I reckon you need at least a metre all round a vehicle, not including any work benches etc. Also think about height, a LR on a decent set of axle stands could be almost 8 feet high. If you're thinking of an up-and-over door remember that these take up quite a bit of space when they're being opened/closed.

I have a common or garden so-called double garage which I find a bit "tight" with just one Rangie in it. Less than a metre space at the back and it's hard up against the door at the front. I have to close the bonnet before I can open/close the up and over door.

At my last house I built a large double garage alongside the existing single one. Used the front half of the single as a workshop and the rear half as a utility room with hot & cold water, sink etc.

I also used larger than standard section roof trusses so I could space then at 600mm to allow a decent trapdoor size then floored the roof space for additional storage.

A 400mm shelf all round the wall about 400mm below the ceiling allows the use of loads of plastic storage boxes for all those stripped off parts. keeps them off the floor too!

Another point. if you're starting from scratch you simply can't have too many electric sockets and lights. I used double sockets, mounted in pairs spaced at 1.2 metres all around the walls and even then I sometimes had to use a multi extension cable!

:) Bob

I agree wholeheartedly. I reckon you need at least a metre all round a vehicle, not including any work benches etc. Also think about height, a LR on a decent set of axle stands could be almost 8 feet high. If you're thinking of an up-and-over door remember that these take up quite a bit of space when they're being opened/closed.

I have a common or garden so-called double garage which I find a bit "tight" with just one Rangie in it. Less than a metre space at the back and it's hard up against the door at the front. I have to close the bonnet before I can open/close the up and over door.

At my last house I built a large double garage alongside the existing single one. Used the front half of the single as a workshop and the rear half as a utility room with hot & cold water, sink etc.

I also used larger than standard section roof trusses so I could space then at 600mm to allow a decent trapdoor size then floored the roof space for additional storage.

A 400mm shelf all round the wall about 400mm below the ceiling allows the use of loads of plastic storage boxes for all those stripped off parts. keeps them off the floor too!

Another point. if you're starting from scratch you simply can't have too many electric sockets and lights. I used double sockets, mounted in pairs spaced at 1.2 metres all around the walls and even then I sometimes had to use a multi extension cable!

:) Bob

excellant description , at my work we do have a lack of power points in the right position, with a extension , then air lines then your toolbox and jacks , then weldercables in the way plus what your working on is can get messy and am a really tidy worker

, i know in a perfect world ud have it all ie roof winch system and a really big desk , i work as a apprentice agricultural engineer and ive just built a big desk 4ft by 8ft and it makes a hell of a difference!and lighting also u need alot of it

Garage? Pah.

20062007010.jpg

It's been there so long that they've painted the yellow line along the side of it! Or do you only work on it outside the hours of "8am to 5pm Monday To Friday"? :D

I like the 235x85x16 axle stand ;)

TwoSheds

But everybody has an 8' guilotine and 8' 50 tonne brakepress in their garage,

haven't they? confused-smiley-013.gif

twizzle, the IIA is no longer mine I'm sad to say. It was a 200tdi with Fairy 5000 pto winch.

got the winch

getting the engine when i can find a good an cheap one

TWIZZLE

But everybody has an 8' guilotine and 8' 50 tonne brakepress in their garage,

haven't they? confused-smiley-013.gif

Sadly not :(

I did have a 11tonne Radial Arm drill though - the smallest drill was 4"dia and the vertical shaft was over 1m dia

Lewis :)

Hi Guys, This is my workshop...

A picture of the bench we built from joists taken from my house during an extention..

Two teaser pictures of our project..

And my mate showing the size of the workshop, there is also a room next door behind him..

We need more electric sockets aswell, do this before you put your tools/car/rubbish in there...!!

If you want to know why we have chopped up an alfa 75.. look here http://yx75project.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Ads.

post-3394-1182950279_thumb.jpg

post-3394-1182950411_thumb.jpg

post-3394-1182950533_thumb.jpg

post-3394-1182950710_thumb.jpg

Going to build a new garage/workshop just looking for idea's

cheers muddydisco

At my last house I built a garage approx 6.5m long x 4.5m wide x 3.0m high at the end of my back garden.

A garage of this size - 30m2 internal area x 3.0m overall height with a flat roof (or 4.0m overall height with a pitched roof) and constructed of mostly non-combustible materials, can be built without planning permission or building control interference in most areas of the country. There are some exceptions, so best to check with your local authority planning dept.

Here are some pictures of my old garage after I moved my 110 and cleared all of my old carp valuable stuff :lol: to my new house.

2005_0922Image0069.jpg

2005_0922Image0084.jpg

2005_0922Image0094.jpg

2005_0922Image0096.jpg

2005_0922Image0097.jpg

2005_0922Image0105.jpg

2005_0922Image0106.jpg

2005_0922Image0113.jpg

2005_0922Image0114.jpg

2005_0922Image0115.jpg

2005_0922Image0120.jpg

I built it like this so that I could move my 110 on to the hard-standing in the garden and get my Range Rover in for servicing, etc...

Had we not moved, I would have put a clear plastic car port roof over the hard-standing and a clear plastic roof and sides to the walled area immediately behind the garage.

Here's a picture of my lovely 12' x 7' shed that I had to leave behind :(

2005_0922Image0082.jpg

My wife (in one of the pictures with our collie puppy) thought I was very sad taking pictures of my garage and shed before we left. Women just don't understand! :lol:

These 2 pictures are of the end of my new garden, I'm currently in the process of applying for permission to build a garage 7.0m wide x 7.0m long (internally) x 3.0m high.

It will be the full width of the garden, starting at the dashed line in picture 1 and built out to the dashed lines in picture 2

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

I'm hopeful that I can start building it this summer. I'll post some pictures when it gets underway.

Paul.

And of course don't forget about security. Fit good quality locks etc and DON'T FORGET TO USE THEM!

Three weeks ago I had "night visitors" in my garage and lost around £500 worth of power tools etc.

Luckily the insurance paid out for the major items but the trouble is I can't remember exactly what was in there until I'll need to use it.

Also, if you've a "better half" don't give them a key or your garage will magically end up full of garden/house stuff while you're not looking!

Mine currently houses a redundant fridge..not all bad though as I've a handy source of chilled beer and it also serves as a worktop for spraying those fiddly little brackets & things that I've just made/repaired. Interesting coloured fridge though!

Bob