Flooded engine with water

Hi,

In my 90 200Tdi I went through a ford today, that I went through with no problem a couple of weeks ago, that was considerably deeper than previously!

The water was just coming over the bonnet in the middle but as I was starting to come out the engine lost power and died.

I think my third mistake was trying to restart it in the middle (the first being not to fit a snorkel and the second being to not realise the water was much higher!!) I tried a couple of times to restart.

swimmings.jpg

I then had a friend drive the long way round to get to the oher side of the ford (strangley he did not fancy trying to drive through!) and pulled me out. Now the engine will not turn at all :o(

He towed me home and I have taken 3 glow plugs out, the forth will not come out as the head has snapped off and the engine will not turn using a breaker bar on the crank bolt. I took the lower pipe off the intercooler and it is full of water :o(

My main question is what is the next move. Can I drain the cylinders from the glow plugs (assuming I can get the last one out) or is the head going to have to come off?? I was surprised the engine would still not turn even with 3 removed.

To add insult to injury my friend was in a Pajero and did have a chuckle that he had to tow my landy home!

on-tows.jpg

cheers

Robert

Nice looking ford, where is that?

If you've been in that deep without breathers it would be worth draining all oils to check for water contamination. re the engine if you can get the injectors out and it spins over you may be lucky but from the sound of it you've bent a conrod so it could well be head and sump off.

Almost certainly a bent conrod as Trev says - usually the first step is to turn the engine over slowly with glow plugs out to get as much water as possible out, then a few flicks on the key, then when it seems clear wind it over on the starter to get as much as possible out, then put them back in and see if it will go. Chances are you will have a hell of a misfire and lots of smoke, which means a bent conrod, and considerable disassembly of the engine :(

The head is now off (beat the rain with an Argos £10 Gazebo!) and the engine is full of water. It will not turn at all so must be a bent rod / crank :(

water-logged-engineas.jpg

Do second hand rods and cranks come up? I guess it's that or just replace the whole engine, whats the going rate? There are a couple on ebay for IRO £500

I hope it's sunny next week as my main car is now a westfield!!! :blink:

cheers

Robert

ps. My turbo and intake are round the opposite way to all the 200tdi engines I've seen on ebay, would that be because my 90 is an '86 and was retro fitted with the 200tdi.

engine1s.jpg

pps. I assume the disco 200tdi is exactly the same as a defender 200 tdi?

cheers

Robert

ps. My turbo and intake are round the opposite way to all the 200tdi engines I've seen on ebay, would that be because my 90 is an '86 and was retro fitted with the 200tdi.

engine1s.jpg

cheers

Robert

Nothing wrong with the turbo position, your engine is a Genuine factory built Defender 200Tdi just as mine is [overhead picture of my 200Tdi below]

you should be able to just swap the conrods for new straight ones, crankshaft should be OK.

post-20-1182705954_thumb.jpg

no they are not the same, turbo in different place and manifolds different to allow that have a look in tech archive about fitting a disco one to a def if needed. disco ones about £500 def ones £750+

no they are not the same, turbo in different place and manifolds different to allow that have a look in tech archive about fitting a disco one to a def if needed. disco ones about £500 def ones £750+

Found that thread. As mine already has the 200tdi and I have the manifolds presumably the cylinder head ports are the same on the disco 200 tdi and I can just use my manifolds and a disco 200 tdi?

Though I'll prob drop the sump first and pull the crank and pistons out and if I can get away with just replacing the rods it will be easier and cheaper!

cheers

Robert

you can swap it for any 200 tdi engine, whether it came out of a disco or a defender - only difference is the mainfolds (disco engines are a bit more powerfull even). manifolds are interchangeable.

You may even be better off just getting an engine out of a breaker and dropping it straight in - rebuilding engines can be expensive as it's difficult to ignore the sensible temptation to replace bits as you go let alone the cost of all the bits you have to replace like gaskets, bearings, rods etc.

Also bear in mind the cost of your time and the other stuff you could do with a couple of weekends of your labour.

Easy mistake to make, you aint the first and wont be the last - snorkels start to look cheap once you've done it a couple of times. :D (done it meself)

good luck with it, with stuff like this you just have to chalk it up to experience, which is never a bad thing.

you can swap it for any 200 tdi engine, whether it came out of a disco or a defender - only difference is the mainfolds (disco engines are a bit more powerfull even). manifolds are interchangeable.

You will find that the timing chest is different too, as the power seering pump is in a different place (I think). Certainly the internals of the timing case are different, as the defender only has the tensioner pulley, whereas the disco has the tensioner pulley and an idler pully.

Personally, I would go for rebuilding the one you have. if you can do it yourself, and know that you have done it well, it is time well spent as far as I am concerned.

Alex - that must have been deep to come in the top of a snorkel, remind me to give this route a miss in the future.

Hmmm I'll say, most snorkels are above cab level and the vehicle usually starts to float at a bit over bonnet height :blink:

You will find that the timing chest is different too, as the power seering pump is in a different place (I think). Certainly the internals of the timing case are different, as the defender only has the tensioner pulley, whereas the disco has the tensioner pulley and an idler pully.

Personally, I would go for rebuilding the one you have. if you can do it yourself, and know that you have done it well, it is time well spent as far as I am concerned.

If I had the time and space I would rebuild but I want to get it back on the road asap a) so I can use it and B) because the weather sucks and my main car is a westfield now! I may rebuild the old engine over time as a future replacement

That ford has taken another victim today-me. Even a snorkel couldnt save me. I dont have the space or time to fix the engine,how much is it going to cost for a garage to sort it for me?

That sucks :( Don't know about cost but Safari Engineering may be able to help. I've not used them but I know they are local in Eversley.

At least there is not flow on that ford, those vids look nasty!

well mananged to get all the water out of mine today,started her up and she seems to be running fine with no smoke or missfires, the electrics are doing all sorts of strange things though.does anyone know if they will dry out or need replacing?

well mananged to get all the water out of mine today,started her up and she seems to be running fine with no smoke or missfires, the electrics are doing all sorts of strange things though.does anyone know if they will dry out or need replacing?

You will have to dry out the electrics.

If you have a garage bung it in and put some heaters in there, preferably fan assisted.

Also make sure there is some ventilation to let the damp air escape.

If you dont have a garage, use a large tarpaulin or plastic sheeting to wrap your car in.

Then tape some electric fan heaters so that they blow fresh air into the 'garage'.

Make some holes in the top to allow circulation and the damp air to escape.

Do this for 24- 48 hours.

I used to work for a company that renovated technical equipment. We got very good at

making tents from plastic sheeting. :D

Arepa

the main block of a disco 200tdi and a def 200tdi are the same. you can swap over the timing cases in a matter of minutes when you get to the timing belt swapout stage.

also the head is Identical, you will however need to move a few threads for the manifold to bolt onto - all the relavent holes are in places already, you just need to swap them about abit.

easy, should take a weekend so fit the new(ish) engine - -plus as someone has said already, with a 200disco engine - it does goes quicker not sure why though?