Newer Defender transfer ratios?

I was thinking that a 1.2:1 transfer case and some 255s would be a lot cheaper than an overdrive... :)

Chris

I find the 255's just fine in the 90. With the overdrive in the 110, it's quieter (but then it does have carpets and no booming exhaust) but it runs out of steam on some hills and you have to disengage it.

Cheers

Steve

Is there a new wagon on the Horizon then?

can I help sort the wings for you

to my usual standards just for you

I have looked long and hard at Defenders, test driven a new one and I love it. I cannot justify the cost though - or more accurately - the depreciation. I have been looking for a second hand one which has done most of it's fast depreciation. Sooner or later there will be a new(er) one - and I want it to stay the same shape LR made it please! ;D

Chris

Depreciation on Defenders is the least of any car I have ever owned.

Vals was £22k when we got it that was only 4 below new IIRC take off car tax not horrendous as some.

with only 9k miles on the clock.

after driving the new one which was nice

build quality usual L/R gaps holes around the doors etc.

the Dash nice to look at but a little imposing, I guess you get used to it.

The engine gave the same responses as Vals IMHO.

The second/third row seats are much nicer.

Do newer Defenders (post Tdi) still have 1.4:1 transfer boxes or do they have 1.2:1 ones? I know some have the "Q" gears, does that make them 1.2:1?

Cheers

Chris

All the ones up to 2006 model year are still 1.4:1, both Tdi and Td5. The transfer boxes are quieter than they used to be and I think have new gears in them from some time during the Td5s, though it is interesting that while high range is quieter, both my 2004 90, and the brand new 110, are both noticeably noisier in low range when pulling fairly hard across soft ground at low revs, there is a definite "grindiness" to the soundtrack which the old red 90 (1995 model) never had. Swings and roundabouts then...

The new Ford engines are 1.2:1 transfer boxes according to everything I have read, but maybe the primary gearbox ratios are completely different too with it being a six speed, so you probably can't directly compare the two.

2007 Defender

Gear Ratio High Range Overall Ratio

1st 5.443 23.334

2nd 2.839 12.171

3rd 1.721 7.378

4th 1.223 5.243

5th 1.000 4.287

6th 0.742 3.181

300TDI/TD5 Defenders

1st 3.692 18.4

2nd 2.132 10.6

3rd 1.397 7.0

4th 1.000 5.0

5th 0.77 3.84

Red90 is that high and low ratios there then in each column? if not whats the two columns, i am prob just been thick.

to confirm others '07MY def has 1.2 T box from the disco but improved - how i dont know. 6th in a 07MY at 60mph is still 250rpm higher than a td5 in 5th + Overdrive.

Chris a TD5 with 255/85 would be luxury without a 1.2 box compared to your current one when cruising. you looking 90 or 110? as Steve says with 255/85 you may not need the 1.2 box.

td5/tdis i would disagree with Mo, td5 is quicker than a tdi on engine braking. that is low 1st you are going quicker at the bottom in a td5 than a tdi.

Chris get a chipped, overdrive td5 then you will get 36mpg on a good run and it will be quieter than a 07MY anyway and quicker top end.

i dont suppose you have the old and new low ratios to hand do you to make a comparison or mph/1000rpms for H and L?

OK, 3rd line is low range. You can figure out your own speed/1000 rpm

2007 Defender

1st 5.443 23.334 63.0

2nd 2.839 12.171 32.9

3rd 1.721 7.378 19.9

4th 1.223 5.243 14.2

5th 1.000 4.287 11.6

6th 0.742 3.181 8.6

300TDI/TD5 Defenders

1st 3.692 18.4 43.4

2nd 2.132 10.6 25.1

3rd 1.397 7.0 16.4

4th 1.000 5.0 11.8

5th 0.77 3.84 9.0

Looking for a 110 as I need space and seats as well as towing ability.

I would consider a 1.2 transfer case as it would put the revs in much the same band as the '07 model on the motorway... although I do not want to loose the benefit of first high for hill starts with a heavy trailer on.

255s are essential! :)

Chris

Depreciation on Defenders is the least of any car I have ever owned.

Vals was £22k when we got it that was only 4 below new IIRC take off car tax not horrendous as some.

with only 9k miles on the clock.

after driving the new one which was nice

build quality usual L/R gaps holes around the doors etc.

the Dash nice to look at but a little imposing, I guess you get used to it.

The engine gave the same responses as Vals IMHO.

The second/third row seats are much nicer.

Chris,, Vehicles do not deprecate,, till the time come to sell,, i feel you want to be in one for the long term !! :unsure: so not a real problem

Tony, just spent the last week in a 06 110 TD5, so can compare it to the 07 model !! The 07 is more perky the the 06, even with a PSI tune box on !! The old dash feels dated ! :o , and have yet to find any gaps in the doors seals, and it does not leak, :lol: , even with all the rain we have had !!

Looking for a 110 as I need space and seats as well as towing ability.

I would consider a 1.2 transfer case as it would put the revs in much the same band as the '07 model on the motorway... although I do not want to loose the benefit of first high for hill starts with a heavy trailer on.

255s are essential! :)

Chris

I have a TD5 110 with the disco Q gears.

Will pull away uphill with a 3 ton trailer fine. Just don't touch the throttle and let the anti-stall do it's job.

I do find on a long motorway hill I need to drop to 4th if it goes under 60mph as you drop off the turbo.

See the hill coming and keep it over 60 on the speedo and it pulls fine uphill in 5th.

Mine is 'chipped' too, that added another 2mpg straight away and made it more perky.

Don't suppose you are looking to buy one in a couple of months? :)

Rich