Front Recovery Points for a standard 90

Gents and Ladies,

Just wondering what set up folks have for their vehicles. I have a pretty much bog standard trcuk which i have had for a month and need some recovery points for the front as i have my first P&P in a couple of weeks. Anything i can do with the bumper IF the spreader plate is thick and big enough or will that still deform. What about a steering guard with intergral eyes are these man enough?? if so any makes and models?? I have a dixon bate at rear which is a plough i know but it will have to do for now!!

Many thanks for your help in advance

JATE rings are probably the easiest recovery points to add, though make sure you connect your strop/rope/birdle/etc before getting stuck in mud....

Steering guards with recovery eyes put the eye in a better place, I have a welded steel guards with eyes on the 90.

This will be the second time I have posted this picture this evening, but hey...

d-rings.jpg

I would say that D-rings are a good option as well. They mean you don't have to go grockling around underneath when you are stuck up to your bumper in mud. I would be inclined to use a bridle with them though..

hth

Mark

damn you ralph, getting there before me... :P :P ;)

Guest dew110CSW

Mine seems to work nicely off just the front tow bar - the one occasion it's had to be towed that stood up well to the job and got it out of trouble.

yep, the genuine jate rings are forged in one piece others are welded bar/side plates, get the genuine ones if poss, RRC3237 & matching bolts/nuts

JATE rings are easy to fit and effective, I have them front and rear. I agree with Western, it's worth paying extra for the genuine parts.

Phil.

i thought d rings were for lifting ie underneath a helichopper not for recovery. Pulling at on forwards on them would put disproportionate strain on the rear pair of bolts

Excellent thanks chaps, with JATE rings would it be best to use a bridle??

I've never used a strop as a bridle, but can see the advantages.

If you use a bridle across the 2 recovery rings, how is the recovery rope attached to the bridle?

With a shackle? Just thinking in terms of where the shackle goes when it breaks :o

i thought d rings were for lifting ie underneath a helichopper not for recovery. Pulling at on forwards on them would put disproportionate strain on the rear pair of bolts

D-Rings are fine for recovery, and are sold as such by the likes of David Bowyer. The lifting rings for slinging undeneath a helicopter look like this:

lashingpoint.jpg

...and are definitely NOT for use as recovery points.

Mark

If you use a bridle across the 2 recovery rings, how is the recovery rope attached to the bridle?

With a shackle? Just thinking in terms of where the shackle goes when it breaks :o

I just pass the strop through the eye of the tow rope, before shackling the ends to the recovery points. No extra link, no extra weight to go anywhere.

I've just fitted one of the Rebel 4x4 steering guards with the towing eyes on the front and it is good (and I think it will be fairly strong - the side brackets/eyes are laser cut out of 10mm plate) but they are about half an inch too far in to get a full sized shackle in the hole, it will go in but if you pulled hard any anything other than the straight ahead position the shackle would jam on the guard or chassis leg and exert all sorts of nasty forces :o

Haven't tried a 3.25T shackle yet but I think that is what I will have to use. Doesn't bother me anyway as I usually loop a (suitably protected) rope over the bumper...

Please, never use a shackle to join a bridle to a tow rope for offroad recovery. Pass the bridle through the loop of the tow rope as described earlier.

Similarly, never join ropes together using shackles for offroad recovery.

There are lots of threads on safe recovery practices, methods of joining ropes etc. if you do a search.

Regards,

Diff

post-2143-1185985773_thumb.jpg

Excellent folks, great advice, i like LandyManLukes method of the strop through the tow rope. No more shackles to worry about. You could use a shackle in this case though couldnt you??

Hi Landybear

In Dk the type as on the litle pic is quite popular a bit expencive but works very very well and come in different sizes, the are use on payloaders, and diggers.

We do weld the to a picce off 3/8 drill 4 holes one in each corner the two off them line up with the ones that holds the bumper the two others goes just through the bumper in front off the others.

Kindregards

Ole

like this [how I rig my KERR on the rear of my 110, the strop at the nato hitch is to prevent the ker from flying about if it broke, doesn't play any other part in the recovery process]

post-20-1185987456_thumb.jpg