Looking for a Land Rover Camper

jules

It was the same price as my coachbuilt 05 plate delivery mileage warrantied 2.2dti Fiat based belter what is sat on the drive.

I know what you mean, but would you get your fiat 10,000 ft up an Italian mountain?!

I am not lying when I say we spent nearly two years trying to find the perfect vehicle. We came up with all kinds of ideas, visited dozens of motorhome dealers and test drove even more vehicles. We spent a lot of time talking to people like Foleys and people that had taken various vehicles off around the world but nothing quite did everything until we saw the Azalai.

If it was just me and the wife we'd have just thrown a roof tent on top of the Disco like everyone else but with two young kids in tow and a wishlist route that includes frozen tundra, high altitude deserts, jungle and lots of tarmac the Azalai fits our needs perfectly.

Not as cheap as a rooftent but still a lot cheaper than some of the campervans we tried (why are the smaller ones more expensive ??)

Anyway here are a few more photos

post-535-1186535507_thumb.jpg

Shown with the roof up. 100w Solar panel is more than adequate to run fridge, lights and laptop etc. We've never needed a hook-up yet.

The roof is ribbed with strengthened sections ready profiled to fit roof bars, although it won't fit into a container if you put anything else on the roof.

post-535-1186535513_thumb.jpg

Not a standard option but we had a large 134 litre water tank built and plonked the rear seats from a Range Rover on top. the kids love them!

Standard option is to fit a 60 litre water tank under the floor of the camper body but we used this as an auxillary diesel tank instead so we have 1305 litres of fuel and 134 water.

post-535-1186535519_thumb.jpg

External lockers for sand ladders and recovery equipment and gas bottle.

post-535-1186535525_thumb.jpg

Photo through the rear door, galley kitchen to left, toilet/shower to right, seats and table in front

post-535-1186535530_thumb.jpg

Comfy seating for 4 adults around a table or enough room for two adults to relax with their feet up at night (chuck the kids outside!)

post-535-1186535536_thumb.jpg

Floor has shower tray and drain built in, waste water tank holds 40 litres.

post-535-1186535544_thumb.jpg

Chemical Thetford Cassette toilet and shower head. You can shower inside (see previous photo) or the shower attachment extends outside to hose the grubby tikes down

post-535-1186535549_thumb.jpg

50 litre compressor fridge/freezer (very, very efficient and will run solely on what the solar panel provides) and other essential equipment - the kettle!

post-535-1186535555_thumb.jpg

Showing inside with toilet door closed, small wardrobe next to the toilet - enough for a few coats and umbrellas, etc,

post-535-1186535560_thumb.jpg

Storage compartments under the seats, in ours we got all the clothes and bedding for 4 people in the right hand bunk leaving the left hand bunk for cooking equipment, tent, laptop bag, etc. Cut-through into the double cab is big enough for the kids to climb through.

post-535-1186535565_thumb.jpg

Bottom seats (and table) make up the lower bed for the kids and the upper bed is lowered from the roof. The upper bed is 2m x 1.5m (same as a standard double bed) the lower bed can also extend into the cab giving two double beds.

There is also enough room to sleep 4 people even with the roof DOWN. Obviously it's more comfortable with it up but in very bad weather it can be lowered without even getting out of bed!

post-535-1186535654_thumb.jpg

No larger than a standard 127 Ambulance

post-535-1186535660_thumb.jpg

Body is made as a 1 piece module with walls 20mm thick so it is VERY strong but very lightweight too. Total dry weight is just over 500kg. Rear hatch for spare wheel.

The only thing you can't see is the heating unit (Eberspacher) which runs on diesel to provide blown air heating and also hot water. Standard water pump provides water to sink and toilet and we fitted an extra Nature Pure water filter to provide safe drinking water.

If anyone needs more info or would like to give it a whizz, just let me know.

Cheers

Simon

Hello Simon! Don't forget you were looking at a Foley 6x6 if I remember correctly (-:

As I said, I did talk to Foleys. If I had a 150 6x6 they would have been able to build a box 7ft x 6ft on the back. Fully fitted would have been around £50k and it would have weighed about a tonne heavier than the Azalai and been as ugly as hell. The Azalai gets me a better living space gives me more storage, is lighter and cheaper. I'm glad I didn't pursue the Foley 6x6 option.

Where have you been in it and what are your travel plans?

We've only had this one since May. So far we've had a few weekends in it and a two week trip through the Alps, one week was totally off-road and wild camping.

Our plans are to ship it to Rio (Brazil) drive south via Uraguay and Argentina to Tierra Del Fuego cross the Andes then back up through Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador, across to Venezuela then Ship it to the USA (texas or florida) and drive across the states to Alaska then - depending on whether we've run out of money or not - drive it across Canada to get back home.

I stress that this is the wishlist plan, things may change, work commitments may force us to break it up into 2 or 3 smaller chunks rather than one hit.

heers

Simon

I know what you mean, but would you get your fiat 10,000 ft up an Italian mountain?!

I am not lying when I say we spent nearly two years trying to find the perfect vehicle. We came up with all kinds of ideas, visited dozens of motorhome dealers and test drove even more vehicles. We spent a lot of time talking to people like Foleys and people that had taken various vehicles off around the world but nothing quite did everything until we saw the Azalai.

If it was just me and the wife we'd have just thrown a roof tent on top of the Disco like everyone else but with two young kids in tow and a wishlist route that includes frozen tundra, high altitude deserts, jungle and lots of tarmac the Azalai fits our needs perfectly.

Not as cheap as a rooftent but still a lot cheaper than some of the campervans we tried (why are the smaller ones more expensive ??)

Anyway here are a few more photos

post-535-1186535507_thumb.jpg

Shown with the roof up. 100w Solar panel is more than adequate to run fridge, lights and laptop etc. We've never needed a hook-up yet.

The roof is ribbed with strengthened sections ready profiled to fit roof bars, although it won't fit into a container if you put anything else on the roof.

post-535-1186535513_thumb.jpg

Not a standard option but we had a large 134 litre water tank built and plonked the rear seats from a Range Rover on top. the kids love them!

Standard option is to fit a 60 litre water tank under the floor of the camper body but we used this as an auxillary diesel tank instead so we have 1305 litres of fuel and 134 water.

post-535-1186535519_thumb.jpg

External lockers for sand ladders and recovery equipment and gas bottle.

post-535-1186535525_thumb.jpg

Photo through the rear door, galley kitchen to left, toilet/shower to right, seats and table in front

post-535-1186535530_thumb.jpg

Comfy seating for 4 adults around a table or enough room for two adults to relax with their feet up at night (chuck the kids outside!)

post-535-1186535536_thumb.jpg

Floor has shower tray and drain built in, waste water tank holds 40 litres.

post-535-1186535544_thumb.jpg

Chemical Thetford Cassette toilet and shower head. You can shower inside (see previous photo) or the shower attachment extends outside to hose the grubby tikes down

post-535-1186535549_thumb.jpg

50 litre compressor fridge/freezer (very, very efficient and will run solely on what the solar panel provides) and other essential equipment - the kettle!

post-535-1186535555_thumb.jpg

Showing inside with toilet door closed, small wardrobe next to the toilet - enough for a few coats and umbrellas, etc,

post-535-1186535560_thumb.jpg

Storage compartments under the seats, in ours we got all the clothes and bedding for 4 people in the right hand bunk leaving the left hand bunk for cooking equipment, tent, laptop bag, etc. Cut-through into the double cab is big enough for the kids to climb through.

post-535-1186535565_thumb.jpg

Bottom seats (and table) make up the lower bed for the kids and the upper bed is lowered from the roof. The upper bed is 2m x 1.5m (same as a standard double bed) the lower bed can also extend into the cab giving two double beds.

There is also enough room to sleep 4 people even with the roof DOWN. Obviously it's more comfortable with it up but in very bad weather it can be lowered without even getting out of bed!

post-535-1186535654_thumb.jpg

No larger than a standard 127 Ambulance

post-535-1186535660_thumb.jpg

Body is made as a 1 piece module with walls 20mm thick so it is VERY strong but very lightweight too. Total dry weight is just over 500kg. Rear hatch for spare wheel.

The only thing you can't see is the heating unit (Eberspacher) which runs on diesel to provide blown air heating and also hot water. Standard water pump provides water to sink and toilet and we fitted an extra Nature Pure water filter to provide safe drinking water.

If anyone needs more info or would like to give it a whizz, just let me know.

Cheers

Simon

Simon

very very nice peace of kit.

I had a 03 fiat dacato 630G which I bought new and know how much they cost and how much space they have and take up.

I know we probably set ourselves an unrealistic wishlist of features for our truck but we did eventually find the perfect solution.

Although a Fiat motorhome would have been bigger and possibly cheaper (buying 2nd hand) I wouldn't want to rely on an Italian built vehicle while in the middle of nowhere. The only other vehicle I'd have been happy with was a Merc Sprinter but the basic 4x4 version of that is £30k plus vat before you even do the conversion.

Another BIG consideration is import duty. To take your vehicle outside the EU you will need a CARNET (a passport for your vehicle). These have to be backed up with a bond or insurance policy worth FOUR TIMES the purchase price of the vehicle so if you buy a motorhome for £30k you will need to buy and insurance policy for £120k to back up your carnet. This will cost you thousands of pounds.

This is not an insurance policy against theft or damage it insures the governments of the countries you visit against you selling the vehicle without paying the correct duty or import tax.

By buying a 10 year old 130 Defender I've saved a lot of money. The Carnet is based on the original PURCHASE PRICE and not including modifications or equipment. In my case that is £10k (the camper body is classed as a modification!) so my carnet insurance bond will only have to be for £40k

When you start to add up all the various bits and admin/paperwork we've actually got a very cost effective vehicle.

Cheers

Simon

Another BIG consideration is import duty. To take your vehicle outside the EU you will need a CARNET (a passport for your vehicle). These have to be backed up with a bond or insurance policy worth FOUR TIMES the purchase price of the vehicle so if you buy a motorhome for £30k you will need to buy and insurance policy for £120k to back up your carnet. This will cost you thousands of pounds.

This is not an insurance policy against theft or damage it insures the governments of the countries you visit against you selling the vehicle without paying the correct duty or import tax.

By buying a 10 year old 130 Defender I've saved a lot of money. The Carnet is based on the original PURCHASE PRICE and not including modifications or equipment. In my case that is £10k (the camper body is classed as a modification!) so my carnet insurance bond will only have to be for £40k

When you start to add up all the various bits and admin/paperwork we've actually got a very cost effective vehicle.

Cheers

Simon

Simon, I do sometimes wonder where you get your information from. Have you ever bought a Carnet de Passage?

The Carnet de Passage is based on 150% of the value of the BASE vehicle at the time the Carnet is purchased.

There are three ways of "paying" the bond

1 Cash.

2 Insurance, of which only 50% is returned on surrender of the Carnet.

3 A bank guaruntee for which my bank charged me £75

Remember also that a Carnet lasts for one year. It may at times be extended to two years, HOWEVER. You must at ALL times have UK.VED paid on the vehicle. Something that is now impossible for more than 12 months

See here.....

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.p...opic=358612.100

mike

Paul.

Frankly I haven't a clue....

Have you looked at the RAC web site ?

Looking at my Carnet. USA doesn't seem to need one.

The other intersting bit is

Pakistan

Iran

Iraq

Isreal

Keyna

Syria

India

Egypt

And Lebanon have all had their automoble clubs crossed out and a note at the bottom EX those countries I've listed are stamed NOT VALID IN

Also in europe Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Italy and Turkey are listed as requireing a Carnet for certian types of vehicles. I've no idea what those certain types are.

mike

Simon, I do sometimes wonder where you get your information from. Have you ever bought a Carnet de Passage?

Thanks Mike, we do seem to spend a lot of time contradicting each other but sometimes I DO know what I'm talking about. 150% might cover you for your trips to Africa but other countries are different

QUOTE:

A guarantee, calculated as the highest potential duty payable. Each country has their own duties, ranging from 100% to 500% of the value of the vehicle.

So for the countries on my list I'll be requiring a 400% guarantee.

Cheers

Simon

Simonwh - thats a sweet 130 :)

Looks a lot more manageable than this monster I saw in France a while back

I saw a similar 130 with a demountable body at Lanmania in France earlier this year. There was a gap of two feet! between the cab and the camper body and the whole thing overhung the back of the pickup by nearly 4 feet. I'd hate to take it around a road island at any speed.

Geting the kayak attached to the roof of mine is our next problem to solve. I don't want to fit anything too substantial to the roof that will prevent it getting into a container. At the moment I'm favouring cargo rails on the roof which will stick up no more than the solar panel but could be a logistics nightmare lifting it up there, I struggle to get it onto the roof of my Disco sometimes.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Mike, we do seem to spend a lot of time contradicting each other but sometimes I DO know what I'm talking about. 150% might cover you for your trips to Africa but other countries are different

QUOTE:

A guarantee, calculated as the highest potential duty payable. Each country has their own duties, ranging from 100% to 500% of the value of the vehicle.

So for the countries on my list I'll be requiring a 400% guarantee.

Cheers

Simon

Sorry Simon. The RAC has different rates Which I hadn't realised. Those rates are for the countries that are excluded on my list. Now I know why. Thank you.

The RAC or I should say H M Customs and Excise [or what ever they are now called] make the rules.

800% for Egypt. You going there ???

Iran,India,Pakistan,Sri Lanks and Nepal 500%

Keyna.?Libya,Middle East & Far East 200%

South America 300%

Africa 150%

Japan/New Zealand 150%

Australia 150% + £5,000 Import Approval Suppliment [cars only]

That's the full list from the RAC.

Are you shipping that camper on your journey. If so I'd be interested how. RO Ro ??

mike

It will just about fit into a hi-cube container if I let the tyres down a bit but they are hard to come by in the single form (usually they are double sized and can hold 2 or 3 vehicles) so it could be costly. If not I'll ro-ro it. I can secure the rear body and make it fairly safe from prying eyes so it shouldn't be too much of a risk

Apart from that the plan was to send it to Rio but I've been hearing good things about Buenos Aires lately. It sems to be a cheaper destination and has less reported theft/damage than Halifax in Canada.

We're still a long way off - at least a year - so it could all change.

Cheers

Simon

Hmmm RO RO I was talking to a guy in Solitaire Namibia. He'd sent his Unimog RO RO. Every lock,hasp and staple was broken off. Every internal lock was broken. Aparently he'd asked for the vehicle to be put in the hold. They only put NEW vehicles into the hold.

We had a high door 20ft container last week. Door height 2.28. Minus 10mm for the ramp. The Defender wouldn't go in with the roof box and the jerry can holder.....I do believe the 40ft boxes are heigher.

I payed £1,300 for the 20ft box. A 40ft box is twice the price. That was less than the last time I sent the car over.

I even had ratchet straps to pull the rear springs down, NO chance. The straps tightened but that was all. The top box was over two inches higher than the door.

mike

Australia 150% + £5,000 Import Approval Suppliment [cars only]

That's the full list from the RAC.

Are you shipping that camper on your journey. If so I'd be interested how. RO Ro ??

mike

What the hell is the £5000 for i never paid that for my 90 to get into Aus.

Don't go Ro RO I have a mate who is in charge of the RO RO of new Land Rovers At Southampton Docks and he told me to put the 90 in a container as half the stuff on the car will go walkies on Ro Ro .

Hmmm RO RO I was talking to a guy in Solitaire Namibia. He'd sent his Unimog RO RO. Every lock,hasp and staple was broken off. Every internal lock was broken. Aparently he'd asked for the vehicle to be put in the hold. They only put NEW vehicles into the hold.

We had a high door 20ft container last week. Door height 2.28. Minus 10mm for the ramp. The Defender wouldn't go in with the roof box and the jerry can holder.....I do believe the 40ft boxes are heigher.

I payed £1,300 for the 20ft box. A 40ft box is twice the price. That was less than the last time I sent the car over.

I even had ratchet straps to pull the rear springs down, NO chance. The straps tightened but that was all. The top box was over two inches higher than the door.

mike

I was told the max height the car had to be for the container. And may be a stupid question but why did you not take the roof box off and the jerry cans of and put in the container in with the car. That is what we were told to do if the car was too high . Same as RORO as the taller the car the more the cost in RORO

I was told the max height the car had to be for the container. And may be a stupid question but why did you not take the roof box off and the jerry cans of and put in the container in with the car. That is what we were told to do if the car was too high . Same as RORO as the taller the car the more the cost in RORO

We did. However it's not an easy job to remove the top box. The roof bars are hidden behind the awning.

Read my post on www.landroveraddict.com and you will see what we did. I expect the roof bax top to be stove in when we take the car out of the box......

You will also see that this is the first time that the car hasn't fitted the container.

mike

ISTR that Dan and Jen had a 40ft Hi-cube container for their Camel's trip to the US. The cost was a LOT less than twice the price of a 20ft container. There is a thread somewhere on here with prices and details of the shipping agent.

Edited: Yup, it is all here

Chris

Edited by GBMUD

ISTR that Dan and Jen had a 40ft Hi-cube container for their Camel's trip to the US. The cost was a LOT less than twice the price of a 20ft container. There is a thread somewhere on here with prices and details of the shipping agent.

Edited: Yup, it is all here

Chris

I can only say what I was quoted by my agent last Thursday Chris. I too thought the 40ft was less than that. My first quote in 2004 was £4,000 for the shipping.

Again though it might depend where you are going :lol:

Also if you can get another owner to share..........

I've just re-read Jens post. Her Camel looks to be a high as my Defender.

mike

Edited to say.

I've mentioned this post to Margaret. She pointed out that in November 2004 when the ship went missing at Walvis Bay. Other shipping companies wanted twice and one three times the price that we were paying our shipping company. I left the container on the docks for the next ship. Three quid a day storage was a lot cheaper.

For those that haven't delt with a shipping company.

All the airlines, train companies, bus companirs and taxi people could learn a lot from them. On how not to treat a customer.

mike