Opinions.............

s2hotdog

Steve,

True,

But you don't have tress and stuff that when you winch in and out / drive / get dragged out, a bit of "siomething" is stuffed tight between your rim and the tyre wall edge, no tubes equals flat tyre, tubes equals get home

I have lost count of the number of times I have cleaned the 90 / Hybrid and gone "Ooooo" :blink: better get THAT out of there ! :huh:

Nige

This is a good question actually. I have tubes on the 110 currently and hate them. It may just be my skanky rims but the tube is always getting caught on something and punctured. Have had more flats on that car than any other because of it so I was going to go tubeless when the tyres need changing. The point about stuff getting stuck in them offroad is an interesting one though. Surely with a tubed tyre there isn't as much pressure holding the tyre against the rim as there is with a tubeless one so therefore it's easier for things to get wedged? Who knows, my knowledge is somewhat limited to daft sports cars :D

Tubes - easier / cheaper to put a new toob in than buy a new tyre when some piece of the countryside pierces it. On a long journey/expedition you can carry multiple spare tubes, but carrying more than 1 spare tyre gets a bit heavy!

Only caveat is use good quality (michelin?) tubes as the cheap ones do exactly what paradigm_shift just said, and they abrade on the inside of the tyre if it's not nice and smooth (eg not designed for tubes).

But you don't have tress and stuff that when you winch in and out / drive / get dragged out, a bit of "siomething" is stuffed tight between your rim and the tyre wall edge, no tubes equals flat tyre, tubes equals get home

I have lost count of the number of times I have cleaned the 90 / Hybrid and gone "Ooooo" :blink: better get THAT out of there ! :huh:

Whenever I have changed tyres recently I have always noticed sh&& buildup between the tyre and the rim but it's never caused an unscheduled flat yet.

The reason I like tubeless is because I drive mine on the road and with tubeless tyres, unless you stick a big sharp rock through it, they deflate fairly slowly, whereas tubes are more of a "bangpshhhhhhhwubblewubblewubblewubblewubblescreeeeeeeeechSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIcrash!!!"

experience when it happens at speed :)

For a pure off road vehicle which is not going to be used on the road I guess you could go either way and with v low pressures tubes are definitely better (though interesting to note that the Icelandic boys who use probably the lowest pressures of anybody, don't seem to use tubes - they just have a can of lighter fuel and a match on hand B) )

When I run off road tubeless if the tyre comes off the bead I can blow it back up sometimes with the help of a ratchet strap.

When I travel home afterwards I have been known to have wheel vibration due to dirt in the tyre knocking it out of balance, When I get home I knock it off the bead and wash it out.

When tubed tyres are run at low pressure off road the tube gets damaged and you cant blow it back up.

I have heard of tubes having their valves torn off when the tyre slips on the rim whilst running at low pressure.

I prefer to run tubeless.

I would have said tubeless, as why put tubes in tyres designed to be tubeless.

However, after every 'serious' offroad session (last one was Tony's B'day challenge) I end up with at least one slow puncture caused by carp between the bead & rim - and thats without dropping pressures at all.

I have had the OSR taken off the rim twice and cleaned and I still have a slow puncture (no other hole can be found) so am considering getting a tube put in it, assuming no issues with running 1 out of 4 with a tube?

I've had three sets of Broncos and their carcasses don't take tubes well

[wind up Bronco users]

The Broncos I've seen don't take treads too well either :lol:

[/wind up Bronco users]

(now frantically jumping up and down on the lid of the can of worms erupting into this thread....) :ph34r:

That's quite a scary photo Les :o , how deep are those cracks? the ones I had seen only had tread separation, not breaking up like that!

Yes, I understand that the newer Broncs are made in a completely different factory (same as Colway or something?) and presumably these days with BS and European regulations coming out of our ears that cover everything else, you can no longer sell tyres that fall to bits anyway. Mind you certain manufacturers still sell vehicles that fall to bits so who knows? :blink:

I would say go tubeless.

Drove across africa with tubes. 13 puntures in 5 months. Worst was 3 in one day. Switched to tubeless when Arrived in SA before touring SA and Nambia. another 3 months touring with lots of nasty dirt roads that took chuncks out of the new tyres, however no puntures.

Out of the 13 puntures 10 where from the rust particles from the wheel rim wearing through the tube, 1 nail and two thorns.

Tubeless would get my vote.

My onboard compresser can pop a wheel back on the rim, so go tubeless and upgrade your compressor.

I did carry tubes for the last couple of months as back up if the worst did come to that.