Ashcroft uprated CV's

white90

Not such a good idea then. Probably easier to fit without top speed being affected. I know they wont have as much ground clearance but that also means lower centre of gravity and the portals are still a b##ch to fit. Unless you introduce me to the portal underground. :ph34r:

Edited by Ben Jordan

Basiclly enjoy yourself (But don't go 10 spline :ph34r: )

Jim :)

do you know anyone who has broken 10 spline GKN shafts?

I know of one person damaging the splines whan another component broke but I haver yert to hear of anyone braking the shafts.

I wait to be corrected :D

Come on Rob,

You know yourself that standard ten spline shafts break for fun.....

The GKN ten spline are fine (And nearly bullet Proof) but are sh*t loads of dollar.....

From a mechanical point 24 is so much better than 10...... :P

But it is only since those GKN's became available that 10 spline was tolerable.

The reason most switched to 24 is be able to fit hardened shafts, cos the 10 where/are so weak :ph34r:

Do you disagree?????

From Maddison4x4 web site:

Products::Dynatrac Axles

We contacted Dynatrac in 2004 to discuss the possibility of using their Pro Rock 60 axles on a Land Rover Defender based suspension configuration. Initially these were to be fitted to Neil Redpath's Ibex 240S in an attempt to finally put an end to the frequent half shaft and CV breakages that plagued the vehicle despite trying every type and specification of "upgraded" parts for the Land Rover axles.

The resulting axles were fitted to the Ibex shortly before the vehicle was shipped to Australia to take part in the 2005 Outback Challenge. It is a real credit to the design and strength of these axles that they took everything that was thrown at them during the event without a single part breaking. We managed to snap two prop shafts but the axles were flawless. This despite the generous use of front diff locks over both high speed sections and rock crawling alike.

Despite the power and torque of the, now, supercharged 6.2L V8 diesel the axles have yet to need anything other than normal maintenance after a full season of off road challenge events.

The axles can be supplied with virtually any ratio you require including standard Land Rover ratios. They can also come ready fitted with locking differentials.

We can supply the axles for self fitting or we can fit the axles to your vehicle. The axles come with spring and suspension mounts to suit Land Rover Defender, Range Rover Classic and Discovery 1 vehicles.

The axles are complete with disc brakes, calipers, steering arms and we can also supply beadlock rims to suit.

Contact us for further details.

From Maddison4x4 web site:

Products::Dynatrac Axles

Contact us for further details.

Has anyone managed to contact them?

I could only get a disconnected phone number from the website, and emails were not answered.

Richard

101 axles are basicly D60s and you can get a good set and have them thouroughly fettled for quite a lot less than that.

But with the aftermarket setups, you can get high pinion, high clearance housings, high steering arms, much stronger knuckles, much better brakes, stronger axles and a far, far superior replacement for the drive flanges.

Come on Rob,

You know yourself that standard ten spline shafts break for fun.....

The GKN ten spline are fine (And nearly bullet Proof) but are sh*t loads of dollar.....

From a mechanical point 24 is so much better than 10...... :P

But it is only since those GKN's became available that 10 spline was tolerable.

The reason most switched to 24 is be able to fit hardened shafts, cos the 10 where/are so weak :ph34r:

Do you disagree?????

I dont disagree but:-

I wanted to know if anyone had broken gkn 10 spline, and no one has replied yet.

I run std RR 10 spline on the rear at the moment with the intention of once I have used up my stock changing to gkn as I have on the front.

Over the last 10 challenge events I have entered in the last 11 months I have broken 4 rear std shafts 2 at slindon and 2 at Llanfyllin.

The front incidentaly is gkn fine spline on mine.

In my opinion it was a cost factor as to put fine spline all new in the rear or use up what I had first then go gkn 10 spline.

I certanly have a weak link to avoid damage else where at the moment :rolleyes:

The toy set-up is something that can maintain the LR suspension bracketry, allow for 30 spline CVs/axles, in Cromo/300M, ARBs, a LOT of various ratios, AND you maintain the great LR disc brakes/diff clearance...

Why go for 60s unless you are going with +42" tires...

Dino, however if you peg the LR diff you should have simerlar strength without the issue of getting hold of Toyota parts. Its not a problem in places like Austrailia but its not too easy over here. Also, with the Ashcroft CVs there's no need to do any machining to make them fit (as with the Longfields).

Wolf axles aren't too bad. you get a 4 pin diff, uprated shats (apparently) and a strengthened casing. The only downside is that IIRC they have bracings between the bottom of the diff housing and the axle tubes reducing your ground clearance.

I've got brand new P38 spec 110 rear axle casing at home (same as a wolf but no bracings) and its a fari bit tougher than a traditional rover axle casing. The only issue is its going to be a bit interesting making a normal rover diff fit into it.

Wolf axles aren't too bad. you get a 4 pin diff, uprated shats (apparently) and a strengthened casing. The only downside is that IIRC they have bracings between the bottom of the diff housing and the axle tubes reducing your ground clearance.

I've got brand new P38 spec 110 rear axle casing at home (same as a wolf but no bracings) and its a fari bit tougher than a traditional rover axle casing. The only issue is its going to be a bit interesting making a normal rover diff fit into it.

What do you mean by normal diff?

I find it funny that they are saying TESTED at the Scorpion challenge........

The only guy that competes on those events that was offered a set is Ed......

Funnier still is that he (I might be wrong) told me he had not had time to fit them before the last round.....

No i'm wrong :rolleyes:

HE did fit them for the last round, but not for the one before, knew i'd get it right in the end.

But you would not call that Extensive testing, would you?

Jez if you want a ste of Ashcroft drive members give me a call, we now stock them.

ed has not got any of these cv joints fitted to his car yet ,because we dont have any yet

But with the aftermarket setups, you can get high pinion, high clearance housings, high steering arms, much stronger knuckles, much better brakes, stronger axles and a far, far superior replacement for the drive flanges.

Surely you could buy a set of 101 axles, buy all of the aftermarket and fit disk brakes for a lot less than 7k?

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy