Bare steel wheels - what to shove on them ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

Hmmmmm :huh:

I am very shortly to have some new wheel rims delivered, they will be bare steel.

When I 1st got my Mach 5s, I had them blasted and stove enamelled, on the tyre machine as they put my tyres on I saw the stove enamel start chipping off, where the rattle gun does the wheel nut up its chipped awy and whacks and smacks off road sees further chips, so I think in hindsight stove enamelling them was ok, but not that good.

Powder coating ?, unsure about that now, Galvanizing is out as is Zinc Passivate etc.

I have thought maybe low tech, spray with a light coat of paint, then I can just respray when needed, the thinner the paint the less likely to chip peel off ?

So, if you had a set of bare steel rims what would you paint / cover them with and why ?

Nige :huh:

What is the finish on things like Machine Mart engine cranes ? Thats pretty tough.

If I was doing wheels properly

I'd do - zinc spray, etch primer, new Hammerite sprayable

The latest hammerite brushes on in two coats really nicely, and isn't too shiny.

Just repaint/touch in as necessary

Andy

My bare Mach5's were painted with normal primer and white enamel coach paint. It was easy to do by hand for my Dad as he used to be a coach painter.

After lots of use and abuse the white paint started to chip and peel as all surface applied paint will do. This summer I took them off in pairs and rubbed them down with emery paper, scotchbrite pads, wire wheels and brushes, and then repainted them with two coats of black smootrite brushable paint. I'm no painter, but the finish achieved is pretty good even if I say so my self.

The problem with doing a proper job, is having the time to leave the vehicle on stands, or getting hold of some spare wheels whilst doing the aforementioned 'proper job'.

Personally I would always look at rust proofing in degree's of suitability. The chassis is the one part you don't want to change, so hot dipped galvanisation is the only way to go. The likelyhood of distortion is minimised due to proper design of vent holes when fabricated. Assuming you have an already used chassis, then pressure cleaning the insides and then flooding with waxoyl are going to be about the best you'll achieve as the zinc won't take over any accumulated grime.

For any other types of steel parts, hot dipped can produce thermal distortion when combined with excess pressure build up, this was why my bulkhead was not recommended for hot dipping. In the end, I found a 'paint' called 'Zinga' which is 95% pure zinc, designed for in the field applications and suitable for repairing previously hot dipped galvanised metals. The problem with Zinga is that for maximum durability the parts should be sand blasted first... I needed a BIG cabinet to get my bulkhead back to bare metal.

Your wheels could be zinc passivated with POR-15 (I think that's the stuff) as I successfully did my axles casings in that. You just spray it on and keep it wet for 30 mins or so.

The problem with paints and indeed plastic powder coating, is that the surface adhesion is always the limiting factor. The good thing about Hammerite smooth is that a big tin goes a long way, and it's easy enough to keep touching up, rubbing down or simply overpainting.

I just used ordinary aerosol primer and metallic silver on the last set of wheels I did, and finished off with a coat of proper "wheel lacquer" to give it a bit of toughness - seemed to last fairly well.

I think if you belt it on a rock it will damage the finish whatever... with the possible exception of galvanising.

Hmmmmm :huh:

I am very shortly to have some new wheel rims delivered, they will be bare steel.

When I 1st got my Mach 5s, I had them blasted and stove enamelled, on the tyre machine as they put my tyres on I saw the stove enamel start chipping off, where the rattle gun does the wheel nut up its chipped awy and whacks and smacks off road sees further chips, so I think in hindsight stove enamelling them was ok, but not that good.

Powder coating ?, unsure about that now, Galvanizing is out as is Zinc Passivate etc.

I have thought maybe low tech, spray with a light coat of paint, then I can just respray when needed, the thinner the paint the less likely to chip peel off ?

So, if you had a set of bare steel rims what would you paint / cover them with and why ?

Nige,

I have just bought 5 x mach 5 rims and had them shot blasted, cleaned and powder coated.

The tyre fitter used a silicon pad under the tyre / rim rotary fixer thingy with no damage, this set have the latest mach 5's rolled edges. My other set were straight edge and chipped on the first tyre fitting :(

After last weekend at the Belgium National (yes it was run but with only 3 Brit cars) a couple of rims have a few chips, but we were upto our necks in Belgium mud and crud :D

I think that whatever the finish taking the rim off-road will cause damage, period.

My other set were zinc & pass and powder coated by Matt, the coating fell off probably because the zinc coating wasn't prepared correctly prior to painting, I then shot blasted and powder coated, disliked the colour so sprayed with an aerosol can, but my Karcher hot water pressure washer fetches the paint off a treat :P

Take your choice mate!

Nige,

The tyre fitter used a silicon pad under the tyre

Erm :huh: is this now legal or do I just have to pay cash and hope nobody sees me :lol:

Seriously I think the more I read on this thread the more liley I am to grab a tin of spray paint mask spray and then redo as and when, maybe the tin coat of paint won't "Chip" like stove (prev) or powder coat, but I do admire your "Coming Out" re the use of silicon pads and black rubber :moglite: <cough> snort eh missus