Kemppi Welders

Shackleton

I'm waiting for you to tell me it's way expensive...

Wait no longer!

Hmph. Snot cheap, zit?

Don't be too hard on the Italians - they made some good stuff in the past... The whole gone-downhill thing is only due to cheap kit coming in from Asia - and PEOPLE BUYING IT.

Yeah, I don't think you'll have a prob getting parts in the future, but since its machine specific an essentially 'non-replaceable' you'll pay more and have a carp time replacing it. If you buy something which takes a standard torch, you can just throw a new one on from ebay, or borrow one, or buy a cheapy to see you through or whatever, and they are everywhere and take about 2.658 seconds to 'fit'. Liners can be replaced as needed, you can get longer ones for better access or a shorter one if you want to save money or run ali wire through it.

For that kind of budget I just reckon you should be demanding something with bigger balls. At least in terms of duty cycle, even if not max current.

This 1701 also seems a little 'light'. 15% duty cycle is hardly worth quoting - clutching at straws I'd call it - its the equivalent of 9 seconds on the go-go juice per minute and 51 seconds stood around stroking your shiny new welder - depends how much time you have on your hands I guess. What is Irish ebay like for welders? How about shipping one from the UK it can't cost that much!

By the way - unless it arc welds too, you won't be needing that hammer!

Al. :)

:D ebay.ie is kinda like a shop you've just got to 10 minutes after they announced a 90% sale, there's two tins of lentils and a busted bag of sugar left...

Nige, the Genuis is great, even turns your poo black for comic effect to be sure.

So euro torch, a butt load of amps and more stamina then a jack russell with a horn? And for under E1000.

OK I need makes, gimmie a hand full of brands that are good no question, I'll see what they offer and where I can get em.

Fellas thanks for the help ;)

EDIT: Paul, I've tried that line in the past... no cigar

OK I need makes, gimmie a hand full of brands that are good no question, I'll see what they offer and where I can get em.

Kemppi is a well respected make, problem is the home/hobby market is so big the major makes are now producing a budget range which is where the corners are cut.

As has been said in the past a good second hand unit is a good way to go but there is always the gamble of buying a dog.

As for makes:-

Murex

Cebora

Weco

Miller

Butters

Kemppi

Thermal Arc

Arc Tech

Froneus

Hobart

Lincoln

Migatronic

Steer clear of:-

Draper

Clarke

Sip

Sealey

Anything 'turbo' or 'pro'

Anything without a name!

I'm not saying you have to pay a fortune and there will be plenty on here singing the praises of hobby welders, you are in the situation of starting fresh.

What you must do is decide how much welding you want to do and what type of welding, brackets and odd jobs (cheap will do), chassis, roll cage, recovery pionts etc. spend as much as you can!

Find a local friendly welder (not a salesman) to advise and if you go s/h he can help you decide.

Thats a hard question to answer. There is nothing in concrete. Think of it as an indication of what you're getting.

Seeit as on-time versus (compulsory) off-time. then figure out for yourself if you want to stand around waiting for it to cool down during those periods.

Of course the 100% rating is ideal, but in reality working on cars etc running relatively short beads, then stopping and prepping the next bit or whatever, means you don't really need 100%. But shoot for something better than what you were looking at. 15% is a joke. In effect, you're really buying a welder with a much lower max amps rating if you can't use the high values for long enough to get the job done.

Its also, to some extent an indicator of quality (grey area). I'd have way more confidence in a machine rated at 160A for 85% than one rated at 175A for 30%, for example. Generally.

By the way, in case you are searching for these things, it is Fronius, not Froneus. (Sorry Paul, just thought it might help. :) ).

If you see something that interests, you can always ask back here, or PM someone if you want privte advice without everyone seeing it and bidding on it. Check Nige's link for a good place to start - if you are set on getting a brand new machine). Don't let carp like spare tips and gloves thrown in free sway your decision. You're buying the machine, not a token bag of peripherals. Its the machine which is gonna dictate your capacity to weld, not the gloves.

Cheers, Al.

Thanks Al,

Yeah when the guy started listing tips and hammers and masks etc I quizzed him on what each thing was worth. It came to about 3p. I looked at him with my best cock eye :D

RE PM-ing how do I know you're not just trying to get me to find deals on ebay and come back to you directly. I see your hustle :angry:

:D

:lol: Dammit I've been rumbled! :P

Nah - just bought a new (to me) Mig myself, now looking to upgrade the Tig (not sure why, it greatly outranks my skills... :rolleyes: ).

Still not sure why the guy was throwing in a hammer - theres no slag with Mig welding. Maybe its to fix mistakes...! :o

Now, off you go and find me yourself a bargain! :D

Al.

Was about to say Dublin but have just packed in the job and house after 10 years to go travelling and have temporarily moved back in with the folks in Meath.

Thats the county one north of Dublin for anyone who doesn't know Ireland. Directly across from Liverpool & Sellafield (thats why I can arc weld with my green glowing dangly bits)

Was about to say Dublin but have just packed in the job and house after 10 years to go travelling and have temporarily moved back in with the folks in Meath.

Thats the county one north of Dublin for anyone who doesn't know Ireland. Directly across from Liverpool & Sellafield (thats why I can arc weld with my green glowing dangly bits)

You shouldn`t complain Shackleton..you have fabulous trout fishing.........and it`s free :D

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody got any idea about R-Tech welders?.

They look good on there site and claim a high duty cycle for the price, also quote things like a 4 roller wire feed etc.

Bit cheaper than the Murex welders of the same sort off power, but I am a firm believer of "you don't get something for nothing" so have they cut corners some where to keep the price down?.

R-Tech stuff is "Fair" the price for what you get is reasonable,

BUT

there is JUST THE ONE UK outlet no dealers and the obly support you can get is from them - for however long that is for maybe vs Fridge and his 25 year old NBC Butters which has just been rebulit ......

The quality of a welder is remembered long long long after the price paid has been forgotten, but cheaper or cheap stuff always reminds me that yer can't shine S***e :)

Nige

R-Tech stuff is "Fair" the price for what you get is reasonable,

BUT

there is JUST THE ONE UK outlet no dealers and the obly support you can get is from them - for however long that is for maybe vs Fridge and his 25 year old NBC Butters which has just been rebulit ......

The quality of a welder is remembered long long long after the price paid has been forgotten, but cheaper or cheap stuff always reminds me that yer can't shine S***e :)

Nige

My favourite is

The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten