American subtlety in action

FridgeFreezer

ahhh, like fitting a car engine into a motorbike hasn't been done in the past (Munch Mammot anyone?), how about something different, maybe, a JET ENGINE:

MTT Y2K

Even Jay Leno approves and brought one

Leno-Bike-01.jpg

Also prevents people driving too close behind, as their bonnet paint starts to peal-off by the heat from the jet exhaust :lol:

and here's a test on Jay's bike:

Jay's Bike Test

Like the comment on the Tomahawk:

The motorcycles cannot be legally driven on public roads. A Chrysler spokesman told Reuters they were meant as rolling sculptures

so it's a ponce-mobil then <_<

Within easy reach as well, Don Vesco made the Turbinator with little trouble:

The Turbinator

Not sure about drive, torque converter I suppose but the jet engine is a bit inflexible for the range of work a off-road vehicle needs in speed and engine RPM. Put it this way, a jet aircraft coming into land on a aircraft carrier requires all it's air brakes, everything out and pretty much full power on the throttles, as if it was to come in to land "clean" with only flaps and moderate engine power, if it needed to clear the deck and abort the landing the engines would not spin up fast enough for it to clear the deck or the big pool of water at the other end of the deck ie big splat or splosh :)

Dodge Viper V10 engine in a bike, Sir? Now to find someone whose underpants are rated to 400mph :blink:

I think it's just stonkingly gorgeous. Unfortunately my boxers cut out at 165 mph, the fastest I've ever been at the wheel.

Has anyone read the spec? 0-60 mph estimated at 1.9 seconds! Top Speed: 400 mph theoretical. 500 bhp!

Front brakes? Yes, a couple - in fact, 20-inch perimeter-mounted drilled machined stainless steel rotors, one per wheel and two four-piston fixed aluminum calipers (16 pistons total)....and, wait for it, hand-activated. At the rear, only 8 pistons.

Lessons for Land Rover fans? Nick one and flog it - apparently worth $200,000. Would buy a couple of Volvo portals.....and change to buy the wife a bag of chips.

Neil

Hell they built jet-engines on scrapheap challenge that worked :blink: although I'm not sure the neighbours would thank you for fitting the ramjet to your truck :lol:

Years ago GM built a load of jet engined family cars that were pretty good, but due to the cost of production and lack of reliability they were scrapped - that was probably about the same time Buick came up with this new fangled all-aluminium V8... Makes you wonder why they don't have another go though, surely these days they could make a small turbine for not much money - just look how far turbos have come.

Hell they built jet-engines on scrapheap challenge that worked :blink: although I'm not sure the neighbours would thank you for fitting the ramjet to your truck :lol:

Years ago GM built a load of jet engined family cars that were pretty good, but due to the cost of production and lack of reliability they were scrapped - that was probably about the same time Buick came up with this new fangled all-aluminium V8... Makes you wonder why they don't have another go though, surely these days they could make a small turbine for not much money - just look how far turbos have come.

Think they need to take a page out of the aero modellers book, they seem to be making little jet engines for not much money, and thats one-offs

Reading MTT's site it seems that turbines are about 10x more powerful than a piston engine of similar weight/size - so, forget portals, who's gonna be the first to run a gas-turbine in their truck? :blink:

I was discussing that one with my Dad a few months back - I figured it would be the way to go to make a really efficient LPG powered car. Dad disagreed (he's an engineer, I'm not...) - a simple gas turbine is actually quite inefficient, static installations like power stations use steam turbines driven from the exhaust gasses to make use of the waste heat, and also run at higher (more efficient) temperatures than compact aero-type ones. The size and weight of this type of setup would make it impractical to fit in a vehicle. Also, as someone else already pointed out, gas turbines are good for power but lousy for torque, so to go with your appalling fuel consumption you'd have naff all acceleration and no controllability off road.

Nice idiot friendly introduction to turbines here for us non-engineers.