Non-standard Exhaust Systems...

edwardatherton

I have a 2.5 petrol in my 88" Series One. Currently it has a 2.25 petrol exhaust welded to the top bit of a Defender front pipe and is also lengthened as the manifold outlet is 1.5" further forward!

The 2.25 pipe is quite a lot thinner than the Defender pipe so I would like to put a larger system all the way through without bodging too many different bits together...

Steve Parker are near to me and can do a stainless system for just under £350 or mild aluminised for just over £200. Seems a lot to me!

Does anyone know any other companies who could supply a system?

I have a 2.5 petrol in my 88" Series One. Currently it has a 2.25 petrol exhaust welded to the top bit of a Defender front pipe and is also lengthened as the manifold outlet is 1.5" further forward!

The 2.25 pipe is quite a lot thinner than the Defender pipe so I would like to put a larger system all the way through without bodging too many different bits together...

Steve Parker are near to me and can do a stainless system for just under £350 or mild aluminised for just over £200. Seems a lot to me!

Does anyone know any other companies who could supply a system?

There's another place in Rochdale who does custom exhausts in stainless. Mate of mine has used them for various bits over the years and tells me they're cheap. Don't know their name or where they are in Rochdale but I'll find out for you today.

Kev

Got my lightweight and 88 hybrid done by Tube Torque in Macclesfield.

They did the lightweight from head to tailpipe for £400.

That was probably about 15 years ago. They can design the manifold according to the engine characteristics, and put the torque where you want it in the rev range. My lightweight was a 2 1/4, and had 95 bhp at the rear wheels, with plenty of low down grunt.

Sorry, don't have any more info as both vehicles are long gone now.

I've used JP Exhausts in Macclesfield a couple of times, and would endorse the recommendation.

None of this is going to be cheap, but JP did drop the actual price from the guide price after they had installed the last system I had, principally because I had specified a silencer to NOT be included.

The point here is not the custom design spec, I took that for granted, but that I didn't ask for a price reduction, they just gave it.

That system is still in daily use, from June 2001, about 80k miles.

I'll go back for one on another vehicle, just as soon as it's roadworthy.

HTH

I got a complete exhaust including cats from the manifolds back from Longlife.

The workmanship is excellent and I thiught it was cheap, considering I delivered the

car at 08:30 and didn´t get it bac untill 18:30.

It sounds lovely, has made a noticeable difference to the engines performance,

and cost less than 50% of the similar system from JE Engineering fully installed.

Nice quick reply from Longlife -

STOCKISTS OF WOLFRACE HIGH POWER NO RESTRICTION CARBON DYNAMIC AIR INDUCTION KITS

Hi Edward ,

We are the people to supply and fit a Stainless Steel Exhaust to your Landrover. All our systems come with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE so it is fit and forget. The combination of the quality grade stainless that we use (T304) and the free flow system will transform the vehicle.

The cost for a custom British built T304 stainless steel system from the manifold to the rear, together with mirror polished tailpipes would be £299 including vat, including fitting and is guaranteed for life.

The system comes with a choice of 15 different tailpipes fron 2"to 5" oval round and slash cut ,We have over 87 other tail pipe designs to choose from if you fancy something designer, such as jap-style, blue flame, twins, acoustics and letterbox styles. Unlike other fabricators our tail pipes are not pre welded to the rear silencer which gives you the ultimate flexibility in your choice of style of tail pipe and also allows you to choose the sound that you want from the car. These can be viewed at tailpipes.co.uk .

Hand-building and fitting your custom made system takes approximately 5 hours (around 2 for a back box only) by appointment at our Leeds centre. We have courtesy vehicles which you are quite welcome to use so that you can nip off and do other things whilst we attend to your car.

Because all of our systems are custom built, you are able to tell us how you would like the car to sound, anywhere from quiet to full sport. The most popular choice is Mild Sport, which gives a slight note when you open the accelerator, yet without being intrusive.

The benefits of a Longlife Stainless Steel Exhaust include improved engine performance and greater fuel economy. This is achieved by fabricating all our exhaust systems on a full free flow principle which means that your engine operates more efficiently. You will immediately notice an increase of around 10 BHP and 10% MPG and the car will have more torque making it more responsive at bottom end revs.

When you arrive, before work commences, you will be talked through the system design and fitment. You will also be given a choice of sound, from quiet to sporty, or somewhere in between. We can also 'offer up' a selection of tail pipe designs to your car to help you make your choice.

After our work is completed the exhaust will undergo a thorough 12 point quality check, to make sure it is clean, there are no leaks, and the fit is perfect, it will then be tested for sound. Don't forget our exhausts are guaranteed for life, so you can truly fit it and forget it, unlike other systems built from lower quality imported t409 stainless from China or Korea. It's the difference between Gold and Gold Plated.

I have sent some photos of our recent work so that you can see the quality of the product .

Please call me or my colleague Kelvin on 0113 279 8944 to find out about this months special offers and promotions, and discounts where possible.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Doesn't seem bad at £299 including VAT and fitting does it? If I can persuade the wife to go shopping (not difficult) then we can go out for the day in one of their cars as well! So, any ideas on what shape of mirror-finish rear pipe I want/need? :blink:

Does anyone know anything about stainless? What does T304, T409 etc mean? Are there any specific questions I need to ask? Just need the accountants to get the year-end finished now so I can get my bonus!

I made my exhaust from CDS - left over from the roll cage. Although it seems excessive, the steel is good quality and doesn't rust anywhere near as fast as a regular exhaust. The steel is 5 times thicker so will survive impacts and take significantly longer to rot through. Lastly, and most importantly, there are loads of people who can bend it - even a simple push-bender will do.

I cut all the flanges off the old exhaust and welded them to the new one so the standard silencer etc fitted.

Si